Zach Cunningham signs extension with Houston

NewEra

12 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know many people have this mentality but I don't get it. Money isn't everything. I rather play for 10m somewhere I like it than for 12m in dysfunctional organization like Jets under Gase. And most money for Milano almost 100% won't come from some contender, but from some weak team which is run badly (paying 14m/y to Milano proves this point imo). Would you rather play for Jags for 14m or for Bills for 10m with a chance to contend every year? For me its a no-brainer.

For me working environment > money and even moreso when millions are involved. One yearly salary sets you for life (if you are smart enough which Milano definitely seems to be) so additional millions become quite irrelevant. I really don't get what's the point of chasing every penny when you can play with familiar players, in proven scheme, in friendly environment for McDermott in a team which scheme apparently suits your skill set and has a chance to compete every year.

But I get that its more likely that Milano might seek money too, I am just saying that my gut feeling is that he won't and signs team friendly deal here. 

I understand that but the difference between a 4 year $40M offer and 4 year $56M is big. No idea what he will get but that's a lot of money to leave

• Like (+1) 1

If Milano gets paid $14MM/yr by another team, that will equal at least 3rd round comp pick.

I know that for some reason we hate talking about comp picks... but I'd be happy using the money on Edmunds/Tre and getting a 3rd rounder back for Milano if we use the comp pic formula wisely.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are not signing Milano to 14 million per.  No way no how.

He would be the close to highest paid player on the team!

One thing for sure, the Milano contract/negotiations will tell a lot about what Beane is thinking going forward.

Personally I think Milano signs for around 10 per year but that's just me.

Edited by ColoradoBills

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I’m not sure I’d pay him $14m but someone is in this market. He stacks up favorably to guys getting that. If I’m his agent that’s my floor. I could see him taking a little less for the Bills but not much.

Question. What is your thought on what Edmunds worth would be today, not down the road when his contract is up?  

Seems like top tier of the MLB market is about 17M at the moment. 

39 minutes ago, Mango said:

Question. What is your thought on what Edmunds worth would be today, not down the road when his contract is up?  

Seems like top tier of the MLB market is about 17M at the moment. 

My guess is that he will be pushing the top of the market. If his contract was up now he’d be looking in that range. Assuming he keeps progressing he will probably end up as the highest paid MLB (at least for a period of time

45 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Bills are not signing Milano to 14 million per.  No way no how.

He would be the close to highest paid player on the team!

One thing for sure, the Milano contract/negotiations will tell a lot about what Beane is thinking going forward.

Personally I think Milano signs for around 10 per year but that's just me.

I’m just not sure why we expect him to sign for so much less than market value? That $14M range is pretty standard for someone like Milano. He’s not going to leave $10M-$20M on the table over 4 years. Maybe it means he won’t be back but I’ll be really surprised if he leaves that much on the table.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nucci said:

I understand that but the difference between a 4 year $40M offer and 4 year $56M is big. No idea what he will get but that's a lot of money to leave

You're right if the gap is too big he'll probably leave, I just think that money will not be priority for him.

He’s the type of player that you sign if you’ve got room.  If you don’t have room, you let him walk and take the comp picks.  Building a contending team and maintaining a competitive team are two different skills.  I’m sure McBeane has a contingency plan in the likely event that Milano demands an 8 figure annual salary.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why would Milano take a discount? No way, unless the weak market forces him to which could happen. Might not be a lot of money out there next season.

Beane said there will be players they want to sign but can't. Who else would you describe as one of those players? 

I guess we'll have to see where the cap is next year. They could always push money into the future also. I guess it's possible, but as Beane said he can't sign everyone.

The idea of the discount can come down to structure of contract. Bills give him more upfront, less per year, or more years with larger guaranteed money. We have all seen the crazy things that can happen with contracts.