Beane / Farwell Scouting Prowess: Bass vs. Rohrwasser

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m glad that they picked Bass over the white supremacist. 

Beane chose a back up QB white supremacist....

BB has had Vinatieri who will be the next kicker in the HOF and followed that by drafting Gostowski who was also excellent. Let's hold the Bass and Beane applause until the kicks start to count.

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane chose a back up QB white supremacist....

BB has had Vinatieri who will be the next kicker in the HOF and followed that by drafting Gostowski who was also excellent. Let's hold the Bass and Beane applause until the kicks start to count.

If all of our offseason comments need to be grounded in facts and reality, there is very little to talk about here.  :)

Looking back, Vinatieri and Gostkowski have been great. 

Also looking back, Beane has hit on a high percentage of his picks, so my bias is to believe in who he picks until proven otherwise.  Today, I believe Bass is our kicker for the next 15 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm also including undrafted guys they've brought in.  Graham.  Hopkins.  McLaughlin.  I think there was another guy.

And sure Carpenter beat Hopkins out.  But Hopkins went on to have a decent career.  Which is why I said they have to be patient.

They were patient with him.  Started him.  Injured.  Next year put him against Carpenter for the starter.  Failed.

What else we’re they supposed to do—keep him on the roster as a backup?  Teams  need to have kickers ready to go.  They aren’t “developing” them.  If one survives bouncing around the league a bit and get better, good for them.  

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The fact that he hasn't had a workout this week (assuming that he would accept a workout) says that other people agree with you.  I'm one of them, for what it's worth. 

True it got to the point where they wouldnt even attempt anything over 50.

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were patient with him.  Started him.  Injured.  Next year put him against Carpenter for the starter.  Failed.

What else we’re they supposed to do—keep him on the roster as a backup?  Teams  need to have kickers ready to go.  They aren’t “developing” them.  If one survives bouncing around the league a bit and get better, good for them.  

Again the idea isn't to go back and say what they should have done, it's to say that young kickers need time.  I don't remember the kicking battle between Carpenter and Hopkins  so I can't say if it was as close as the one between Bass and Hauschka.  What I am saying is that at age 35, Hauschka's days are numbered and the difference between the two wasn't so great as to keep sticking with the older guy.

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Bills selected Bass in Round 6 -but nearly 30 picks earlier (in Round 5) Belichick selected Rohrwasser.

Fast forward 4 months - Bass has won the starter job for the Bills besting Hauschka. The Pats, on the other hand, are bringing in Nick Folk to compete with Rohrwasser (suggesting Rohrwasser is not yet ready).

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-re-sign-k-nick-folk-sign-dl-michael-barnett

Kicker is one of the few positions on the team where talent and mental fortitude are the only criteria - you don’t have to worry about the player’s fit with the offensive and defensive schemes of the team. And Belichick’s ST evaluation is generally regarded as second to none. Just wanted to highlight our own staff’s superiority in scouting and drafting in this particular instance.

Belichick has had his fair share of lousy picks. Brady covered up a lot  of mistakes.

16 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

They were taking a huge gamble with Hauschka. The question is how much bigger of a gamble Bass is...

I am not sure they were. They knew what they had with Hauschka. A pretty reliable guy inside 50 but a guy who you needed to get into that range for. He was at this point in his career, reasonable floor but low ceiling. Bass is a very boom and bust type risk. Hope it works out for us. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Who knows how this will all turn out, but I take it as a good sign that the day after Bass won the job he was perfect at camp.

I think it is a good sign but to an extent Hauschka being gone means the pressure is off. Two weeks time it is going to be on and be red hot. Though I do wonder if no fans will be a help to young kickers. I suspect it might be and that could have played into the thinking. 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure they were. They knew what they had with Hauschka. A pretty reliable guy inside 50 but a guy who you needed to get into that range for. He was at this point in his career, reasonable floor but low ceiling. Bass is a very boom and bust type risk. Hope it works out for us. 

I think it is a good sign but to an extent Hauschka being gone means the pressure is off. Two weeks time it is going to be on and be red hot. Though I do wonder if no fans will be a help to young kickers. I suspect it might be and that could have played into the thinking. 

Is he though?  I mean, good placekickers have to get their start somewhere, and it's not like he wasn't productive in college.  Is there something about him that makes you think he is a bust risk other than simply being a rookie?  He seems level-headed and is clearly talented.  I don't know what makes some kickers "blow up" -- it is most likely a mental toughness issue because they all know how to kick.

I'm excited the Bills took this chance on a guy who might be really good for a long time rather than taking a relatively "safe" route with Hauschka.

20 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The fact that he hasn't had a workout this week (assuming that he would accept a workout) says that other people agree with you.  I'm one of them, for what it's worth. 

Umm. Just because he got beat out by a rookie doesnt mean Hauschka is washed up (rather it sepaks to how good the rook is). Hauschka kicked a 47 yarder to tie our last playoff game with seconds left. And, he does have tryouts lined up. I know of at least one by the Titans.

Sixth and seventh round picks are basically worthless.  They are nice for fliers on talented players with horrible injuries, raw small school talents or for trading.  They can acquire a player that a team is looking to dump or sweeten a trade to make it look better for a team getting rid of a quality talent (ooh, we got three picks for X).  But they’re easily acquired and generally get used for priority UDFA level players.  So I’ll never gripe if one is used on a K, P or even a LS.  Both teams took a shot at one. NBD

Edited by BarleyNY

25 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Hauschka is the 12th most accurate kicker in NFL history.

Hauschka hasn't hit at least 80 percent of his field goal attempts since 2017

History is great and all, but current results are more important.