Training camp 8/30

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForReal said:

I wish Thad would just send in his resume and work at PFF. I finally muted him on twitter. I'm ok with him saying Josh had a bad day, but he always just slights him no matter what he does. Kind of annoying. 

Maybe it was not a good day for Allen.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I mean I’ve found Thad’s tweets this year to be more even-handed than I felt they were in the past.  He did say Josh was “fantastic” during the scrimmage.  We don’t like for anybody to have a bad or “off” day but it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills fans, on the whole, remain way, way too sensitive about Josh Allen.

It's okay to say he had a bad throw or a bad day overall or both. 

Josh Allen is a work in progress. 

Getting mad or offended anytime someone reminds us of that is silly.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe it wasn't, and i'm fine with him stating that based on my previous response. What I do have a problem with is his consistent issue with complimenting Allen then slighting right after. It's not a huge deal its just annoying. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bills fans, on the whole, remain way, way too sensitive about Josh Allen.

It's okay to say he had a bad throw or a bad day overall or both. 

Josh Allen is a work in progress. 

Getting mad or offended anytime someone reminds us of that is silly.

You've confused the problem. It's not that he said Josh had a bad day and he said that. It's that he's been hypercritical of Allen compared to his peers. This has eroded trust in his reports and as one of the principal Bills reporters...not being able to trust his reports on the starting QB is annoying. His reports tend to need confirmation because he has exaggerated in the past.

As someone who's not sold on Allen being the long term franchise QB...I'd like to be able to know they're accurate especially when I can't see things for myself. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I cannot ever remember a wide receiver being talked about as consistently and glowingly as Davis -- including all of the guys listed above. 

And it's not just that he's catching balls against no-name CBs who are soon to be bagging groceries. As far as I can tell, he's beating Tre White, Levi Wallace, etc, and doing it relatively routinely.

There was also the high praise that John Brown gave him, saying he knew the playbook better than ANYONE ELSE on offense. The reporter asked Brown "so have you guys been helping him, then?", and Brown laughed and replied "no. You didn't hear me. HE has been helping US". That's high praise and speaks to Davis's intelligence and ambition.

I firmly believe that Davis his played his way from "will rarely see snaps this season" to "we've got to figure out a way to get him some snaps every game, because he's too good not to".

At the very least, if Diggs or Brown miss any time, I feel extremely comfortable knowing that Davis can step into the lineup and produce.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Logic said:

I cannot ever remember a wide receiver being talked about as consistently and glowingly as Davis -- including all of the guys listed above. 

And it's not just that he's catching balls against no-name CBs who are soon to be bagging groceries. As far as I can tell, he's beating Tre White, Levi Wallace, etc, and doing it relatively routinely.

There was also the high praise that John Brown gave him, saying he knew the playbook better than ANYONE ELSE on offense. The reporter asked Brown "so have you guys been helping him, then?", and Brown laughed and replied "no. You didn't hear me. HE has been helping US". That's high praise and speaks to Davis's intelligence and ambition.

I firmly believe that Davis his played his way from "will rarely see snaps this season" to "we've got to figure out a way to get him some snaps every game, because he's too good not to".

At the very least, if Diggs or Brown miss any time, I feel extremely comfortable knowing that Davis can step into the lineup and produce.

The other guys were touted before they ever even practiced.  Once they did...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Relying on rookie receivers, no matter how good is a risky proposition. The value of him tearing up camp is not that he's going to supplant those guys, but exactly what you said here...if one of them goes down, he can fill in for awhile. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Relying on rookie receivers, no matter how good is a risky proposition. The value of him tearing up camp is not that he's going to supplant those guys, but exactly what you said here...if one of them goes down, he can fill in for awhile. 

....and on the field in 4 WR sets.......and coming on for a play here and there to give Diggs and Brown a breather.

I'm excited to have a rookie WR with a potential high ceiling at #4WR.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If that's what happened then what's he supposed to say?

Exactly...and I don’t notice any of the other reporters contradicting Brown’s observations either...

Edit:  just saw that Buffalo Bills News confirmed Brown’s reporting, that Allen did, indeed struggle today...

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

Brian Daboll has an affinity for a 3 receiver set, but Davis' emergence might force him to employ more 4 receiver sets.

So excited to see how they get Davis involved. This offense has a variety of options and weapons we have not seen in a very long time. 

Not going to overreact to a down Josh Allen day. It sounds like he still made some plays, and based upon Frazier’s recent comments I’d bet the defense was turning it up a notch as well.