2021 Salary Cap - Bills could potentially be overspent

Virgil

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/with-an-eye-to-2021-what-hauschka-cut-dawkins-deal-mean-for-bills/article_be8c1560-e928-11ea-9f2b-8f56afed8992.html

Interesting article and something to think about.  I think the TV deal gets done and the cap goes up, but if it doesn’t...

Tre can probably be re-signed in a way that works with the cap because of what he’ll be owed for his 5th year.  But Milano, some of the other guys coming up?

I think Beane is operating the right way and the Hausch cut makes more sense.  Star deferring to next year I think hurts us a little, as I think he would have been a cut.  

Either way, a lot of teams could be in some trouble. 

I’ve said it before-if a team like the cowboys can pay all of the guys they are paying, if the Chiefs can afford all of the contracts on their roster including Mahomes huge deal, the 49ers have several large contracts as do the Seahawks, I’m not even a little bit concerned about the Bills guys getting paid. We just aren’t used to having guys that will get paid a second contract here. This is pretty much a “nothing to see here” issue

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I agree with you. I think there will be a lot of contracts restructured around the entire league before next season.  Owners and GM's aren't going to destroy their rosters if there are workable alternatives.  The Dawkins contract was a good indicator of Beane's approach at least through 2021. I think there are some veterans that will be on the roster this year but will be gone for 2021.  You mentioned Star and I would also include DiMarco, Kroft, Murphy, Lee Smith, and Yeldon.  Beane's done a good job handling the cap up to this point and I believe he will continue to do so.  Teams like the Eagles ($86m over next year) have a much bigger problem than the Bills.  

43 minutes ago, Virgil said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/with-an-eye-to-2021-what-hauschka-cut-dawkins-deal-mean-for-bills/article_be8c1560-e928-11ea-9f2b-8f56afed8992.html

Interesting article and something to think about.  I think the TV deal gets done and the cap goes up, but if it doesn’t...

Tre can probably be re-signed in a way that works with the cap because of what he’ll be owed for his 5th year.  But Milano, some of the other guys coming up?

I think Beane is operating the right way and the Hausch cut makes more sense.  Star deferring to next year I think hurts us a little, as I think he would have been a cut.  

That analysis is slightly flawed - the key number for some players is not the cap hit but the deadcap since the team can walk away from several contracts like Butler, Jefferson, Hughes, Klein etc. with minimal cap hits. 

Beane has done a good job frontloading a lot of the FA contracts from this year -so they are not a drain on future cap space. Additionally, we always have the option to take the Philly, KC or Saints approach and restructure deals to reduce cap hits in 2021.

Bottomline; our cap situation next year is very fine - we can easily sign a Clowney or Ngakoue without batting an eyelid - though Beane will refer to the potential reduced cap in public at every opportunity since it is useful in negotiating contract extensions.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

A lot of teams could be in real trouble, but the Bills aren’t one of them.  They’re spending and things will tighten, but they aren’t in real trouble.  I don’t know that Milano gets extended, but decisions like that have to be made as the talent level rises. 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Not really something to worry about TBH. 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Evidently, some do not believe Beane is a witch. :lol:  

In all seriousness, the planning we don't see at OBD is tremendous.  It's there, for example, in the hours they spend prepping for UFA, the draft, and coaches looking at their next opponent.  I'm sure there are other examples.   

Managing contingencies and war-gaming different scenarios is what good administrators do.  It's obvious that front office types have adapted to the cap and been able to mitigate the restrictions.  Gone are the days when teams like SF and DAL got into cap trouble like they did in the mid-90s. Teams are smarter and I'm confident Beane will maneuver any way he has to. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you. I think there will be a lot of contracts restructured around the entire league before next season.  Owners and GM's aren't going to destroy their rosters if there are workable alternatives.  The Dawkins contract was a good indicator of Beane's approach at least through 2021. I think there are some veterans that will be on the roster this year but will be gone for 2021.  You mentioned Star and I would also include DiMarco, Kroft, Murphy, Lee Smith, and Yeldon.  Beane's done a good job handling the cap up to this point and I believe he will continue to do so.  Teams like the Eagles ($86m over next year) have a much bigger problem than the Bills.  

Most of those guys are not contracted to be here next season anyway. I think Smith is contracted for 2021 but they are not saving any cap dollars on the others as they are all out of contract after this season. 

That said this is a non-issue. The Bills have plenty of ways to move money around on deals. 

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Thanks for sharing the article Virg, and using the $175 mil. model, there are only around 6-7 teams that can roll over their space to potentially cover the drop given if they don’t have ballooning contracts coming up in 21.  Yolo’s right, the cap is a moving target, and Mark Gaughen was on point that Hauschka was not just a talent decision, but a cost cutting one.  Don’t be surprised if no one picks him up, we bring him back to the PS at the league minimum.   

There are so many variable, it is very difficult to make predictions.  For example, because Star opted out, even if we cut him next year, we still owe him for this years compensation minus the $350k.  It’s also why fans that say, oh well, Clowney is now going to the Pats.  The Pats May be towards the top in cap space, but they have to pay next year on a shrunken cap all of those opt out s they keep or their salaries this year.  Talking about the cap is like going to Fat Tuesday’s, drinking too fast one of those daiquiris, and getting a brain freeze.