Fitzmagic vs T-Mobile

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

I liked Fitz because he beat Tom Brady and the Pat's at full strength, along with the fact he had a "bigger" personality. Besides that I like both and hope they both do well this year unless against Buffalo.

Did he though??

i remember our defense turning NE over like 5 times that game. It was still awesome to watch 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billvernsays said:

Did he though??

i remember our defense turning NE over like 5 times that game. It was still awesome to watch 

That team was so much smoke and mirrors that first 5 games it is crazy. We got 4 picks off Brady, one a pick six, and a phantom pass interference call in the end zone to allow us to win. It was a fun game. Tyrod never got me as excited as I was for the team those next few weeks 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ngbills said:

It is about expectations. When Fitz was QB it was a joke. No one expected the Bills to win. So they accepted rooting for the underdog, quirky guy from Harvard. 

Tyrod was better and that led to higher expectations and then let downs. 

Fitz is not terrible for a bad team wanting a guy to throw the ball all over the place. But your not going to win. 

Tyrod was a guy that could help a good team win with his legs and lack of mistakes. But he was not going to carry a team on his back. 

I think there's a fair point there.  When Fitz became QB the Bills were totally mired in a Pit of Mediocrity.  When Chan Gailey was hired as head coach we were all like "who?"

When Trentative Edwards was QB, we were all just longing for a QB who would actually "hurl the spheroid down the field" and give the Bills a chance to win a few games.

OTOH, when Rex Ryan and Greg Roman as HC were hired, expectations were sky-high.  We'd had the #4 D the previous year and the expectation was a defensive-minded HC would improve that, while Greg Roman would produce enough of an offensive improvement to take us to playoffs.

And there was an offensive improvement - objectively by some metrics, the Tyrod-led offense was the best offense we'd had since 2004. 

But it wasn't good enough to overcome the defense's slide to mediocrity.

I think Tyrod took the fall for that.  Well, that, plus his limited passing abilities (#28, #30, #31 in passing yards in his 3 years here)

I think it's really close but I would go with Tyrod.  If for no other reason because Tyrod would not hand the ball over to the defense.  Say what you want but you cannot win with a QB who turns the ball over as much as Fitz.  You know what you were getting with Tyrod.  Fitz was too unpredictable which is why he was cut shortly after signing the big extension.  

1 hour ago, billvernsays said:

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not. 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didn’t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV “If we don’t get this one it’s over” Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didn’t convert.

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most. ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought. 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen, and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why there’s a disparity but perhaps I’m just oblivious. 

T  Mobile says hello...

I disagree with every Tyrod sentiment so far in this post. 

Tyrod did not appear to love football.  And he did not have any quality of a natural QB (leadership, fire, commitment to excellence, demand to be the guy to make the winning play.  He appeared to be smart, but not to have that fast ability to be decisive in trusting his intellectual read of the play)

Tyrod appeared to want to milk as much money and longevity out of this NFL thing as possible.  And I dont blame him one bit.  He looked like every play was a business decision.

Tyrod treated the football like his newborn baby daughter.  You had to be more than just wide-open.  He would never throw you open.  He would never trust you to be one of the most highly trained athletes on earth and use your skills to make a play.

Tyrod's best attribute was what he didn't do.. (throw interceptions).  It's hard to celebrate that.  The reason I disliked Tyrod as the QB was it often times felt like it did with Jauron... it felt like we were playing to not lose, instead of trying to win.  Whether this passiveness was the fault of the coaching staff or Tyrod himself, I don't know

Edited by berg1029
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Tyrod's best attribute was what he didn't do.. (throw interceptions).  It's hard to celebrate that.  The reason I disliked Tyrod as the QB was it often times felt like it did with Jauron... it felt like we were playing to not lose, instead of trying to win.  Whether this passiveness was the fault of the coaching staff or Tyrod himself, I don't know

Its hard (for Tyrod Taylor) to win in the NFL

19 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm sure we do, he could put on quite a spectacle with his elusiveness.

At first it seemed like he had a lot of big play potential. It's fun when you've already given up on actually being good.

I found his running around with the ball infuriating. I think I have said before by the woman who lived in the apartment above mine and I have a running joke about "has Tyrod thrown it yet?" because I spent three years of fall Sundays shouting it at the top of my voice. 

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And there was an offensive improvement - objectively by some metrics, the Tyrod-led offense was the best offense we'd had since 2004. 

But it wasn't good enough to overcome the defense's slide to mediocrity.

I think Tyrod took the fall for that.  Well, that, plus his limited passing abilities (#28, #30, #31 in passing yards in his 3 years here)

You mean the Greg Roman-led offense? 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I found his running around with the ball infuriating. I think I have said before by the woman who lived in the apartment above mine and I have a running joke about "has Tyrod thrown it yet?" because I spent three years of fall Sundays shouting it at the top of my voice. 

You mean the Greg Roman-led offense? 

I get it, but I still remember that first game. After years of Trents and EJs it was very easy to enjoy his play until he made his short comings impossible to ignore/excuse. 

I think Orton was just about the most boring QB I've ever seen play.

They are very different players.  Most fans like the excitement, the flash.  Fitz played/plays a very visualy pleasing manner when he is hot.  When he is not on he is pretty bad and gets a quick hook.  Taylor is/was very consistent.  He wont make the wow plays Fitz would, but also wont have the mistakes either.  As time goes on I think we remember more of the Fitz magic and the bad has sorta faded.  Taylor did take them to the playoffs.  I remeber Kyle Williams TD and the miracouls Bengals v Ravens game more than anything else that season.  I dont see it as a race difference but more style of play and charisma.  

3 hours ago, billvernsays said:

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not. 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didn’t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV “If we don’t get this one it’s over” Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didn’t convert.

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most. ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought. 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen, and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why there’s a disparity but perhaps I’m just oblivious. 

Actually Fitz had in his contract to throw a certain amount of INTs a year. Also his contract is voided if he makes the playoffs.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Also I can’t remember it off the top of my head, but Tyrod’s WL in close games was really terrible 

In games decided by 7 or less Tyrod has a better record (9W 10L) as a Bill ithan Fitz  (9W 12L).  Obviously I understand this is not the best measure of how close the game but it is relatively easy to get.

Fitz was more fun to watch because he was always throwing the 50/50 or 40/60 ball.  I remember all these passes just going right thru mutliple defenders' hand in his magic half season, especially in the big win against the Pats.  I think anybody outside of Bills fans and Buddy Nix could see it was not going to last but it sure was fun. 

Of course Fitz's sense of humor and underdog story (only in the NFL is being from Harvard a disadvantage) made him a hit with the fans.

Tyrod was also fun to watch his first season.   The problem was once the league figured out they didn't need to defend the middle of the field it was all over.  As a fan, you spend most of the time watching him run around the back field with zero plan and the last two seasons were painful to watch.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really like Tyrod as a person too (from what I know). On the field, i would not want either one as my starter. As far as fitzy being more popular per se, I think it’s probably just his gregarious personality and apparent love that he still has for Bills fans, Buffalo etc. Tyrod may have that too but Fitz is just more out there.

I remember reading an article about how there were post game neighborhood parties at Chez Fitzy. Neighbors would pile in, kids would be running around, coming and going. It seemed like he and his family have a real zest for life. How do you NOT love that?  He’s a guy I’d love to have a beer with. I wish I could find a link to that, it was pretty cool as I recall. He’s just a regular guy, who is not at all regular. 

Both are limited as QB’s in VERY different ways, and I have nothing against either guy personally whatsoever. I just don’t want them as long term starters for the Bills. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billvernsays said:

I like em both. Both are flawed QB's but both gave 110% effort. No problems with either QB. Happy they both have long careers.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Also if you had to have a mediocre QB as your starter, Tyrod was the perfect QB for the season the Bills broke the drought.   The Bills won a lot of close games that season.  If Fitz was QB, there would be too many late game turnovers for the Bills to make the playoff that year.

Tyrod is a good guy but is tendency to err on the side of caution puts a ceiling on his game.  Fitz can be streaky, and will put together a bunch of mistakes in a game sometimes, but you know he's always playing to win and sometimes you get the impression Tyrod is playing not to lose.