It's (the first of three) Record Store Day(s)!

Seasons1992

• 5 months later...

As one who works at one of the indie stores involved with this, I have to say, each year it gets a little less exciting.  Really nothing on the slate for this weekend that excites me too much...there are a handful in July I am interested in.

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

As one who works at one of the indie stores involved with this, I have to say, each year it gets a little less exciting.  Really nothing on the slate for this weekend that excites me too much...there are a handful in July I am interested in.

A longtime local shop here is bowing out of RSD after this year; they said it's just not the same as it was and the spirit of things has changed dramatically.

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

A longtime local shop here is bowing out of RSD after this year; they said it's just not the same as it was and the spirit of things has changed dramatically.

Yeah, too many stupid releases, too many scammers.  They kind of ruined a good thing, it has become a huge hassle. It started out as a really cool thing.  Though, in fairness, I do appreciate the business it drums up, especially this year.  

42 minutes ago, Buftex said:

As one who works at one of the indie stores involed with this, I have to say, each year it gets a little less exciting.  Really nothing on the slate for this weekend that excites me too much...there are a handful in July I am interested in.

Rage, Donny Hathaway, The Police, Maria McKee, Lemonheads, Toots and Mayalls, Thelonious, Charlie Parker, Fela Kuti, Canned Heat, Buzzcocks, Tommy Bolin I'm excited for

I do know some record store owners who hate record store day too

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Rage, Donny Hathaway, The Police, Maria McKee, Lemonheads, Toots and Mayalls, Thelonious, Charlie Parker, Fela Kuti, Canned Heat, Buzzcocks, Tommy Bolin I'm excited for

I do know some record store owners who hate record store day too

I would think the owners would like it, because it is a nice sales boost for most.  It is just that the distribution of titles is not always great for some, and customers who hoard stuff to re-sell just adds an unpleasant layer to it.  We take as many precautions as we can to guard against that, but it still goes on. 

Me personally, I am looking forward to the Bobbie Gentry "Windows to the World" release that is coming in July.  It is her long lost "jazz/soul" record, recorded at Muscle Shoals. It was never released, though some of the tracks have been "bonus" tracks on other re-issues over the years.  It was originally supposed to come out this weekend, but now I see it is pushed back to July RSD.

The one release I was really excited about, back in 2019 was the Dylan "Blood On the Tracks" test pressing.  Never was able to get one. Though, a friend of mine did transfer his vinyl to CD for me.

Edited by Buftex

On 8/31/2020 at 8:30 AM, May Day 10 said:

It was great when it first started.  Unlike most things, I was an early-adopter of the vinyl resurgence.  Record Store day was for actual end-users to add to their collections.  It was a really cool event.

Many years later though, its only an ebay supply line.  Last round, I really wanted the Live Frogs from Colonel Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade.... to *gasp* listen to.  I went to the place on Hertel when it opened and dozens of people were there on lawn chairs.  People in front of me were just talking about what is "worth" what... and how many of X were being pressed, etc.  People were leaving with armloads.  By the time they were 10 people deep, it seemed like they were sold out of anything good, let alone what I wanted.

I ended up reluctantly paying a small premium for the Vinyl.... then it just gets released anyways even though it was supposedly an exclusive to RSD.  

I really wanted the Green Jelly Cereal Killer album from the April one last year 2019.  Same type of thing, but its still out there for $80 and I never bought it.

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

I would think the owners would like it, because it is a nice sales boost for most.  It is just that the distribution of titles is not always great for some, and customers who hoard stuff to re-sell just adds an unpleasant layer to it.  We take as many precautions as we can to guard against that, but it still goes on. 

Me personally, I am looking forward to the Bobbie Gentry "Windows to the World" release that is coming in July.  It is her long lost "jazz/soul" record, recorded at Muscle Shoals. It was never released, though some of the tracks have been "bonus" tracks on other re-issues over the years.  It was originally supposed to come out this weekend, but now I see it is pushed back to July RSD.

The one release I was really excited about, back in 2019 was the Dylan "Blood On the Tracks" test pressing.  Never was able to get one. Though, a friend of mine did transfer his vinyl to CD for me.

Steely Dan and Morrison Hotel too.

My local record store owner went on great rant why he hates it- sometime more “limited pressings” get released following years, store too crowded, mostly with customers he has never seen before, he must put up a lot of cash upfront, he gets stuck with some bad sellers, people hoard, sell on eBay, don’t respect the hobby…..

it was a great rant

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Steely Dan and Morrison Hotel too.

My local record store owner went on great rant why he hates it- sometime more “limited pressings” get released following years, store too crowded, mostly with customers he has never seen before, he must put up a lot of cash upfront, he gets stuck with some bad sellers, people hoard, sell on eBay, don’t respect the hobby…..

it was a great rant

Two Against Nature never caught on with me... I love the Dan but that one didn't do it again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

If anyone hasn't seen the "Muscle Shoals" documentary, and you care about music at all, go find it.

48 minutes ago, Pete said:

it was a great rant

Mine complains about how the newbies come in, see a record, grab their phone, shop online to save a dollar, and then leave without buying anything.

• Like (+1) 1

If any of you vinyl guys ever get down to the west coast of Florida this place will blow your mind... mainly the warehouse. I've been there a few times and... there is so much vinyl in there it is basically beyond comprehension. They used to clean your Lp's on a nitty gritty after purchase but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.