4 new DT tryouts - Akeem Spence, Daryle Banfield, Toby Johnson and Gabe Wright.

Since our resident Walter Cronkite (yoloinohio) is probably catching a bit of shuteye - thought I’d post this nugget

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-host-four-defensive-tackles-for-tryouts/article_82f6334c-e972-11ea-8655-5f0fc0d18516.html

I suspect they are not happy with the second team interior line depth after Allen passed for 312 yards in 2.5 qtrs in the scrimmage

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

more scouting for the season I'd guess.

Got to agree with this.

i get that Starr opting out is one reason. I think this also shows the FO understands that Harrison’s knee might need a little more time.  The Bills have had to bring up or sign DT’s the past two seasons. Good for them on scouting as many as they can. 

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

more scouting for the season I'd guess.

That's what I'm thinking too.  It's not impossible that the Bills could still switch out players at the low end of their depth chart, but Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver, Quinton Jefferson, and Vernon Butler aren't going anywhere.  

Akeem Spence - a smallish run stopper who lacks explosiveness, and doesn't show a lot of strength in rushing the passer.

Daryle Banfield -  an Ivy leaguer.  He's smart, but info is scarce across the internet.  He's young - 22.  Signed as  UDFA of Chicago a year ago.  He's 6'3" and 300 lbs.

Toby Johnson - Georgia Bulldog 6'4" 290 lbs. He has hung around the fringes of pro football since he finished college in 2014 making barely a ripple in the pond.

Gabe Wright  - 6'3" around 300 lbs  Can get some pressure in the passing game but has been weak against the run.  

If you're looking for answers from this group, then your defensive line has a huge problem.

Edited by TigerJ

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Hmmm, I thought we were (are) deep at that position. I bet someone is going to be traded.

I think you may be correct.  I think o-line and d-line trades are plausible because of the Bills depth and the number of season ending injuries around the league in these position groups.  We all know how Beane likes to stock up on extra draft picks.

• Like (+1) 2

It's probably true that the Bills are looking for guys who could be useful mid-season if one of the DTs goes down.  But I think it's more than that.  There have been a lot of DTs coming through over the past couple of months, and not at other positions, even though DT isn't necessarily a high-injury-risk position.  Why hasn't there been a similar parade at other positions?

I think another explanation is that McDermott has particular roles in mind for his DTss - he needs them to play a particular way.  I'm not expert enough at the position to say what those things are, except that it's clear he like versatility in the interior of the line.  He likes guys who can play the 3-tech and the 1-tech, which is an unusual combination.  Because McDermott is all about disguising his defense pre-snap, I think he wants guys in the D-line who could attack in a variety of ways from where they line up.  That sort of versatility makes calling blocking assignments at the line of scrimmage more difficult at the line of scrimmage.   

So I think the DT parade is in part about finding guys with versatility and quickness (as well as the right character attributes).

Also, the emphasis on veterans continues.s  McBeane's strategy is clearly to load the roster with guys who know how to play in the league, who know how to practice.  They aren't looking for projects.  Draft young talent, sign some undrafted talent, then surround the young guys with veterans.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Since our resident Walter Cronkite (yoloinohio) is probably catching a bit of shuteye - thought I’d post this nugget

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-host-four-defensive-tackles-for-tryouts/article_82f6334c-e972-11ea-8655-5f0fc0d18516.html

I suspect they are not happy with the second team interior line depth after Allen passed for 312 yards in 2.5 qtrs in the scrimmage

Surely you jest—I heard it here first that Allen was incapable of passing for 300 yds? :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1