Housch$$ released

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with cheap shot on him, right?

Wish the NFL was better at protecting players from these type of players.

not every kicker has that happen then falls off the cliff. 

for SH, that cheap shot, (following a blocked kick btw) it seemed to impact the rest of the 2018 season. Although recall that he missed an XP and a field goal attempt the prior week, vs Miami. 

Why it carried into 2019 too I don’t know.

it could be that event also roughly coincided with that late career inflection point all kickers seem to have. 

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

not every kicker has that happen then falls off the cliff. 

for SH, that cheap shot, (following a blocked kick btw) it seemed to impact the rest of the 2018 season. Although recall that he missed an XP and a field goal attempt the prior week, vs Miami. 

Why it carried into 2019 too I don’t know.

it could be that event also roughly coincided with that late career inflection point all kickers seem to have. 

I don't think it did carry into 2019. I think in 2019 it was just his leg went. He was still one of the better kickers in the league under 50. But he just didn't have the leg for the longer kicks. 

I am not against the Bills trying to upgrade. Bass's slight wildness on some of the shorter kicks in college concerned me a little and there have been some of those misses in camp. Just gotta hope he doesn't have those moments when the Bills need him..

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

hmmm ... well they are decisive, I'll give em that

Over and over, and I'm surprised by it every time.  These guys have no fear.  

Hauschka's at least a solid NFL kicker; not the star we'd hoped, but more than serviceable.  But McBeane want more.  Sometimes a rookie comes in at some position and simply blows everyone away, makes a clear case that if he isn't already better than the vet, he will be soon.  Those decisions are relatively easy.   But at least based on what was being reported out of camp, Bass wasn't clearly better than Hausch.  What Bass did have was better upside.  We knew what the best was we'd see from Hauschka, and it is clear that Bass could be better.  The risk, of course, is that Bass turns out to be inconsistent or can't take the pressure.  There's no way to know that until they see him in games for a season. 

In other words, Hausch wasn't likely to make the big kick and win a game; Bass is.  On the other hand, Hausch wasn't likely to miss the routine kick and lose a game; Bass could be.  It takes courage to make that call and go with the unproven guy with bigger upside. 

McBeane have shown over and over that they aren't afraid of those moments.  They make the bold decision and live with the consequences.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't like it.  We have no clue how Bass will perform when the pressure is on or in inclement weather.  This could be a case of the organization overthinking it.

He actually kicked in a swirling wind yesterday fwiw. Reportedly boomed a kickoff out of the end zone into the wind 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

More likely its simply a case of a pre season with very limited reps so they had to make a decision 

Agree, they needed him to get as many reps as possible. Hanging onto Hauschka longer would have meant continuing to split reps. Their respective performances in the scrimmage yesterday likely helped too

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think he’s more concerned about him making FGs....

Hauschka lost because he doesn’t have the leg anymore and isnt consistent enough anymore on FGs in general  to warrant keeping him despite the decline. I wouldn’t be confident going into the season with Hauschka at all. 

Hauschka only had two opportunities all day, both extra points, and he pushed one of them to the right. He was the only kicker to miss from under 40 yards in training camp.

Bass, meanwhile, connected on all four of his opportunities under 50 yards. He did push a 55-yard attempt wide, but it had enough distance to go through the uprights. He ended the day 4 of 5. Bass also got a lot of kickoff work, and even when kicking into the wind, easily forced a touchback every time. To date, here are the full training camp stats:
Bills Kicking Competition (Through 8/27)
KICKER

TOTAL

FG %

30-39 YARDS

40-49 YARDS

50+ YARDS

29-36
80.6%
10-10
14-17
5-9
18-23
78.3%
7-8
7-7
4-8

Bass passed Hauschka on total field goal percentage and receiver far more field goal opportunities with the media present. While there are risks to going with a rookie kicker in a season of high expectations, Bass earned it to this point. It would be ideal if the Bills could see him in a game, but they can’t. They also knew if they released him, he’d get claimed on waivers immediately. Bass showed he was consistent enough and won the job, plain and simple.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He missed two kicks inside 50 last year. I will donate $50 charity bet with the first to take me up that if Bass is the kicker in 2020 he misses more than that. 

He missed 4 kicks under 50 yards when you count the extra points he missed. And kicking FGs over 50 yards is a necessary part of being a kicker in 2020, you can't just ignore that.

Haushcka missed 8 kicks last year in total. 2 XPs, 2 FGs under 50, 4 FGs over 50. So if Bass comes in and misses 3 FGs under 50 no XP and makes more than the 1 50+ FG Haushcka made you want to consider that a win for yourself even though its a better actual performance.

And not for nothing, if Bass is terrible you can always sign a different kicker....like Stephen Haushcka.

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He missed 4 kicks under 50 yards when you count the extra points he missed. And kicking FGs over 50 yards is a necessary part of being a kicker in 2020, you can't just ignore that.

Haushcka missed 8 kicks last year in total. 2 XPs, 2 FGs under 50, 4 FGs over 50. So if Bass comes in and misses 3 FGs under 50 no XP and makes more than the 1 50+ FG Haushcka made you want to consider that a win for yourself even though its a better actual performance.

And not for nothing, if Bass is terrible you can always sign a different kicker....like Stephen Haushcka.

I can’t imagine they would have used a draft pick on a kicker, and held a real TC kicking competition, if they were too afraid to move on from Hauschka if Bass won it.  It was always Bass’s job to lose as soon as they drafted him imo. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well because of injury they signed Carpenter who was probably a top 3 kicker those years. So IMO the Bills had no choice but to release Hopkins for the roster spot. If he doesn't get hurt his rookie year he's probably our kicker.

It's possible he was still hurting the following year.  I couldn't tell you for sure.