Housch$$ released

3 hours ago, sullim4 said:

It could really go either way.  Kickers can boom PATs and 65 yard field goals in practice, and then get the yips in a game time situation.  Hauschka had is fair share of mental issues down the stretch so it's no given that he's any better, especially when you consider leg strength.

Bass will get his chance and we'll see how it goes.  It could end horribly and he could end up getting cut in week 4, or he could be a breakout.  With kickers, you never know.

Maybe not having fans will ease some rookie jitters.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He missed two kicks inside 50 last year. I will donate $50 charity bet with the first to take me up that if Bass is the kicker in 2020 he misses more than that. 

You probably would win that bet.  House went 1 of 5 over 50 and maybe OBD would bet that Bass will beat that.

More shocked at Edwards being released he seemed like a solid punter, I guess Bojo out performed him by a big margin. I think Haush will get one more chance to catch on with another team. He was really shaky the past two seasons but his accuracy under 50 improved in 2019 and there a lot teams who have kickers who can't kick under 50 that likely will be cutting kickers in season. So hopefully for him he gets another run. Dude was so money in 2017 but then in 2018 he got a little shaky in the 40-49 range but then in 2019 he got better in the 40-49 range but completely ***** the bed from 50+. 

6 hours ago, eball said:

I always felt this was Bass' job to lose after the Bills used a 6th round pick on him.  He proved he could handle a legitimate competition and this move makes sense to me.

Agree, that and cap savings sealed it. I was fearing another Gary Anderson situation where we let a hall-of-famer get away. Let's hope the kid comes through when it counts. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Injury release if I remember correctly.

No, he got injured his rookie season but competed with Dan Carpenter the following season and lost.  But he's a cautionary tale of not giving up on a younger kicker.

Just now, Doc said:

No, he got injured his rookie season but competed with Dan Carpenter the following season and lost.  But he's a cautionary tale of not giving up on a younger kicker.

Well because of injury they signed Carpenter who was probably a top 3 kicker those years. So IMO the Bills had no choice but to release Hopkins for the roster spot. If he doesn't get hurt his rookie year he's probably our kicker.

44 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Better to release a guy a little too soon versus a little too late.   I will always appreciate Haus.  Best of luck to him. 

This has always been the Belichick doctrine, hasn't it? Minus the appreciation and "best of luck" sentiments, of course.

Cut bait and re-cast. Sentiment and past performance be damned.

I'm into it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I feel bad for Hauschka because he was never really the same after getting cheap-shotted, but it was time to move on.

Dirty*

I am still angry the league basically sanctioned the dirty hit. Also, penalizing the Bills for the dirty hit was just something else.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Aren’t kickers sort of uniquely exempt from that ?

Gotta be the most interchangeable position in game. 

You think? Every year there are usually 3 or 4 teams who are in dire need of a semi-reliable kicker, IMO.

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

You probably would win that bet.  House went 1 of 5 over 50 and maybe OBD would bet that Bass will beat that.

I am sure they would. And they would be right. But if it comes to it go for a few extra 4th downs in the 50+ range. When your kicker misses must haves from inside 50 they lose you games. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Can we sign punter M. King has a top 5 punter and he's available.

We can and something had to happen behind the scenes that seems to have him blacklisted from the league.  I know the flamboyant celebrations don't thrill head coaches but it's worth putting up with if he gives you solid production.  At least bring him in for a workout.