Bills scrimmage 8/27

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Everybody must have different rules.  The Jets beat reporters tweets' from yesterday's scrimmage seem have been live and a lot more detailed.

Bills reporters tweets from yesterday (or at least the day before when there was an actual practice) were a lot more detailed.  There was even a discussion earlier this week about the way reporters were cheating a bit to let readers know who was starting and where without actually saying it.  Then Chris Brown happened....a shot fired across the bow, so I think Bills reporters are being especially careful today.

Dan Lavoie at Buffalo Rumblings can usually be counted on for a good summary.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/8/27/21404319/josh-allen-and-buffalo-bills-starters-cleanly-handle-backups-in-thursday-training-camp-scrimmage

On a blustery day in Orchard Park, the Buffalo Bills starters delivered a complete, impressive performance against the team’s backups in their Thursday scrimmage. Josh Allen completed 70% of his passes and threw for 300 yards. He threw two touchdown passes and ran in another score (he also had an interception, deflected off the hands of his receiver). Meanwhile, the backup offense was constantly under duress by the starting defense. Aside from a 25 yard carry by T.J. Yeldon, they managed almost nothing in each drive. . .

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Everybody must have different rules.  The Jets beat reporters tweets' from yesterday's scrimmage seem have been live and a lot more detailed.

If McBeane gets a competitive edge out of this, I’m in, even though it sucks today.
    As somebody commented earlier, those pre season games are sounding pretty good right now.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/08/bills-training-camp-2020-josh-allen-throws-for-over-300-yards-in-scrimmage-day-9-observations.html

The pressure from the defensive line was consistently outstanding. Ed Oliver had what should have been considered a sack and consistently frustrated the interior offensive line. Quinton Jefferson had a sack and a big tackle for a loss on a T.J. Yeldon run. Jerry Hughes also recorded a sack on the day.

• Like (+1) 3

Idk why some in the seem down in the media cause he played the 2nd team defense. Our 2nd team defense is probably just as good as a middle of the pack 1st team defense. I'm impressed regardless, we don't know who was in the second team group but we do know we have quality depth esp on defense and he was going against some guys who can get after it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Idk why some in the seem down in the media cause he played the 2nd team defense. Our 2nd team defense is probably just as good as a middle of the pack 1st team defense. I'm impressed regardless, we don't know who was in the second team group but we do know we have quality depth esp on defense and he was going against some guys who can get after it.

2nd team defensive line is probably pretty good, but with Norman out the 2nd team secondary is nothing special, and I can't even think of who they had out there at linebacker.

So no, I don't think they would be considered a middle of the pack defense. Probably a bad defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Some obvious comments about 1sts vs 2nds:

1. Coaches WANT their squads to succeed! They want to build confidence and create opportunities for success / wins;
  2. First team vs first team means ANY injured player is a starter;
  3. More difficult to evaluate bubble players against bubble players. Need to evaluate bubble players against better opposition.

Summary:

1. 1st teams (O and D) succeeded. Comments diminishing Josh's reported fantastic outing are simply missing the point - he succeeded in the situation the coaches put him in;
  2. I presume coaches got a good look at bubble players against better competition;
  3. No injury report so far that I've seen - could be good news or just incomplete.
  4. Good day coaches!
  5. The rest is just noise
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I guess I missed it but what's the reason for the reporting limitations this year? Why can't they report who lines up where? (I know there are some guidelines but I don't know why)

Competitive advantage. 

In normal camp times, the team couldn't stop fans from tweeting out who's where, so media had more leeway. In this environment, everyone is coaching with their cards close to their chest and trying to control the information coming out of their practices as best they can. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Jets scrimmaged yesterday, and their 1st string offenses, and defenses were scorched by their opposing #2s. A common refrain on their message boards was that the #2s were all fighting for their roster spots, and were therefor playing a lot harder. So, I guess it's a bit concerning to me that our #2s aren't playing very hard for their roster spots, and also that our #1s are so insecure in their spots that they're playing so hard during a scrimmage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1