More early season injuries...or less???

Bakin

Not sure if this has been covered. 
but with the lack of preseason ... Does it stand to make sense that we will see fewer injuries in the first few weeks of the season...as players are more rested?  Or MORE injuries since players haven’t been put to the test?

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

but with the lack of preseason ... Does it stand to make sense that we will see fewer injuries in the first few weeks of the season...as players are more rested?  Or MORE injuries since players haven’t been put to the test?

way more, IMO.  I can hear the hamstrings popping league wide from here. 

we shall see.   

• Like (+1) 2

Soft tissue injuries can be minimized if the players decided to not just lift, run, etc., but yoga,  hot yoga, and even Pilates really helps with flexibility.  They don’t force the players to do it, so it’s up to them.  Bones breaking, ligaments strained and torn are not preventable.  Bottom line is it’s crap shoot every year, but I was really happy when McCoy started doing yoga religiously and his hamstring and groin pulls went down.

Oh, and I don’t do yoga, so not biased, just know that a player can benefit from these types of exercises.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Soft tissue injuries can be minimized if the players decided to not just lift, run, etc., but yoga,  hot yoga, and even Pilates really helps with flexibility.  They don’t force the players to do it, so it’s up to them.  Bones breaking, ligaments strained and torn are not preventable.  Bottom line is it’s crap shoot every year, but I was really happy when McCoy started doing yoga religiously and his hamstring and groin pulls went down.

Oh, and I don’t do yoga, so not biased, just know that a player can benefit from these types of exercises.

I think you are absolutely correct.  In addition, more players employ personal trainers ( not talking about AB here...lol ) that have a good understanding about the importance of flexibility in the prevention of soft tissue injuries.  I also believe that many players understood the training challenges resulting from reduced training camp time and they put in more personal effort to get ready.  I've listened to many interviews from players who spent the whole off season sheltering at home with their families and working out because there wasn't much else to do.  The first couple of games will really give us the indication of how it will go.

By the way, being in the back row at a co-ed yoga class can be down right inspirational.  You should give it a try....just sayin.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

way more, IMO.  I can hear the hamstrings popping league wide from here. 

we shall see.   

Yeah, that's a risk for sure. But honestly starters don't play a lot in the preseason anyway, so they should be able to replicate the same number of live reps fairly easily, but they may not be able to replicate the intensity.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I feel like hamstring injuries are a fatigue issue rather than a flexibility issue (hydration and conditioning). They usually go after long runs or later during the game. But I'm sure flexibility has something to do with it too.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:09 AM, Bakin said:

Definitely expect a lot more soft tissue injuries.  Not enough quick twitch activities without games.

Would not be surprised to see a significant increase in things like ACL tears - as those tend to happen in camp and without the games - those injuries will push to the regular season.

Overall - I expect to see more injuries especially early.

For the NFL as a whole, way more injuries. Look at MLB, the amount of star players missing time is staggering. I have faith that our trainers are among the best in the league, but we'll still have some, with abbreviated everything, it's inevitable.

Not to mention when players test posistive for Covid... MLB teams cancel games for up to a week after 1 player gets a positive test. When that happens on an NFL team, there's no way they play a game that week. NFL doesn't have the ability to play double-headers, or even play multiple games per week, and there's no open weeks at the end of the season to make those up. My guess is there'll be teams that only play 13-14 games, while others may play all 16. They're gonna have to use winning percentage to determine playoff teams.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

WHY WHY WHY

every time someone post a thread like this 

Someone gets hurt!!! 

And you just had to bring that up didn’t you?

On 8/27/2020 at 1:09 AM, Bakin said:

More!

Bodies not ready for full speed getting thrown into it

More.  Training camp is no where near as grueling as it was 20 years ago and teams like the Bills with an up to date training staff are careful to structure training camp in such a way as to minimize injury not only in training camp, but transitioning into the season.  This year, everything is condensed.  Players should always be fit, but the transition from offseason fit to game fit increases the likelihood of injury early in the season.  I'm sure the Bills know that and they are trying to do all they can to reduce the risk.

• Like (+1) 1