Chris Brown suspended [Mod edited] from all Bills platforms

Per The Athletic:

The Buffalo Bills have banned Chris Brown, their radio host and web reporter, from covering practices the rest of training camp and have suspended him from all their platforms, multiple sources tell The Athletic.

The Bills aren’t talking about Brown’s whereabouts, but he disappeared from practices last week after apparently violating the team’s media policy. Three days later, the longtime club employee vanished from “One Bills Live” — simulcast on WGR 550 and MSG Network — and social media without an announcement on where he went or when he will return.

Brown’s total evaporation occurred Thursday, less than two hours after heralding Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy’s tweet about buying title sponsorship rights to the Bills’ stadium.

I don't know how much I can post from a paywall site but he has been suspended according to the article not terminated, it seems like he violated the teams revised 2020 media policy and was divulging too much information from training camp

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

?? That’s weird and mysterious. i was wondering why they had a guest co-host with Tasker today on that 12-3 radio show. It can’t be about the Portnoy thing - unless ownership really, really hates Barstool. Still harsh.

I don't know how much I can post from a paywall site, but the article strongly hinted that he was divulging too much practice information (snap counts, formations, etc) and he violated the revised 2020 media policy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BruceVilanch said:

I don't know how much I can post from a paywall site, but the article strongly hinted that he was divulging too much practice information (snap counts, formations, etc) and he violated the revised 2020 media policy.

Divulging that where, though? He wasn't saying anything in the open anywhere that I saw. Never said much on the show.

1 minute ago, BruceVilanch said:

I'll post that part

Brown’s last day at Bills practice was Aug. 17, when he apparently violated the new policy for reporting on practices. Enforcement of the policy has varied from team to team.

The 2020 media policy forbids reporting on game strategy, snap counts and with which units players are working out. The guidelines were revamped for competitive reasons, with the public unable to attend camp sessions and no preseason games being played.

The Bills seemingly prefer to keep practice developments as proprietary as possible.

General manager Brandon Beane on Wednesday suggested the Bills view anything that happens at practice to be valuable information the other 31 teams can use. Beane, in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, said the Bills have their scouts mine media Twitter accounts for updates on players around the league.

The Bills distributed their 2020 media policy to reporters Aug. 16. Shortly after “One Bills Live” began at noon the next day, Brown discussed what he noticed from the first practice with co-host Steve Tasker.

Brown: “At least today, (rookie defensive end A.J. Epenesa) was lining up on the left side. In college, he was mostly on the right his senior year.”

Tasker: “Defensive left?”

Brown: “Yeah, so he was on defensive left today, primarily with the second team. It was Jerry (Hughes) and Trent (Murphy), and then the second group was A.J. and (Mario) Addison.”

Brown: “Here’s the interesting thing. The two rookie receivers we’ve talked about and the veteran receivers we have talked about, we had John Brown on the air last week, saying, ‘These two rookie receivers know our playbook better than any rookie receivers I’ve ever been around.’ They’re getting rewarded for that. At least today, they were rotating in with the starters. You have your top three, and then they roll in the next three. They’re two of the next three.”

Tasker: “Who is the other third?”

Brown: “I’m trying to think off the top of my head. It was rotating a bit. I know Robert Foster was out there once. Andre Roberts was out there once. But those two kids were rolling in. They didn’t make a ton of plays. Hodgins had a couple of catches, a nice 20-yard reception. But those two kids were rolling in, something to keep an eye on going forward.”

Brown: “As Coach McDermott told us in a Zoom call last week, Cody Ford would work at both guard and tackle, and that proved to be the case today.”

Tasker: “Who was around him?”

Brown: “Mitch Morse is the staple at the pivot. We know that. And Daryl Williams was the right tackle with him when (Ford) was playing guard, and then when (Ford) would switch and play tackle, he would have Brian Winters next to him. So he was flipping back and forth. You kind of wonder … I’m sure that how Cody plays at both of those positions will ultimately help determine where he winds up. But I think it’s also predicated, Steve, on who’s quickest on the uptick in terms of blending in with those four returning players. Does Winters work better or does Williams work better?”

Those “One Bills Live” exchanges have been scrubbed from WGR’s online audio.

Brown was absent from practice the rest of the week and disappeared from his radio show by Friday. He apparently has not logged into the 12 media video conferences the Bills have held over that time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, MJS said:

Divulging that where, though? He wasn't saying anything in the open anywhere that I saw. Never said much on the show.

The article was quoting his interviews during One Bills Live, he was giving out where guys were lining up, which Wr's were getting reps and where they were lining up. Pretty run of the mill stuff during a regular training camp but the article also quotes Beane saying that any information this season is valuable and they are trying to keep there TC buttoned up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

The article was quoting his interviews during One Bills Live, he was giving out where guys were lining up, which Wr's were getting reps and where they were lining up. Pretty run of the mill stuff during a regular training camp but the article also quotes Beane saying that any information this season is valuable and they are trying to keep there TC buttoned up.

Yeah. I can see that now. I guess I've just gotten so used to hearing that kind of stuff. It sucks that he got in trouble for it because I'm sure he wasn't trying to break the rules, but hey, rules are rules and it is his job to know what he can and can't say.

Edit: Tasker should have told him to shut up instead of asking for more information. He should know the rules too.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'll post that part

Brown’s last day at Bills practice was Aug. 17, when he apparently violated the new policy for reporting on practices. Enforcement of the policy has varied from team to team.

The 2020 media policy forbids reporting on game strategy, snap counts and with which units players are working out. The guidelines were revamped for competitive reasons, with the public unable to attend camp sessions and no preseason games being played.

The Bills seemingly prefer to keep practice developments as proprietary as possible.

General manager Brandon Beane on Wednesday suggested the Bills view anything that happens at practice to be valuable information the other 31 teams can use. Beane, in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, said the Bills have their scouts mine media Twitter accounts for updates on players around the league.

The Bills distributed their 2020 media policy to reporters Aug. 16. Shortly after “One Bills Live” began at noon the next day, Brown discussed what he noticed from the first practice with co-host Steve Tasker.

Brown: “At least today, (rookie defensive end A.J. Epenesa) was lining up on the left side. In college, he was mostly on the right his senior year.”

Tasker: “Defensive left?”

Brown: “Yeah, so he was on defensive left today, primarily with the second team. It was Jerry (Hughes) and Trent (Murphy), and then the second group was A.J. and (Mario) Addison.”

Brown: “Here’s the interesting thing. The two rookie receivers we’ve talked about and the veteran receivers we have talked about, we had John Brown on the air last week, saying, ‘These two rookie receivers know our playbook better than any rookie receivers I’ve ever been around.’ They’re getting rewarded for that. At least today, they were rotating in with the starters. You have your top three, and then they roll in the next three. They’re two of the next three.”

Tasker: “Who is the other third?”

Brown: “I’m trying to think off the top of my head. It was rotating a bit. I know Robert Foster was out there once. Andre Roberts was out there once. But those two kids were rolling in. They didn’t make a ton of plays. Hodgins had a couple of catches, a nice 20-yard reception. But those two kids were rolling in, something to keep an eye on going forward.”

Brown: “As Coach McDermott told us in a Zoom call last week, Cody Ford would work at both guard and tackle, and that proved to be the case today.”

Tasker: “Who was around him?”

Brown: “Mitch Morse is the staple at the pivot. We know that. And Daryl Williams was the right tackle with him when (Ford) was playing guard, and then when (Ford) would switch and play tackle, he would have Brian Winters next to him. So he was flipping back and forth. You kind of wonder … I’m sure that how Cody plays at both of those positions will ultimately help determine where he winds up. But I think it’s also predicated, Steve, on who’s quickest on the uptick in terms of blending in with those four returning players. Does Winters work better or does Williams work better?”

Those “One Bills Live” exchanges have been scrubbed from WGR’s online audio.

Brown was absent from practice the rest of the week and disappeared from his radio show by Friday. He apparently has not logged into the 12 media video conferences the Bills have held over that time.

Now you have violated the same policy, what if they ban you next from everything Buffalo Bills?!?!

How am I supposed to use the old BBMB Chris Brown Emoji nowwww:cry:

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Now you have violated the same policy, what if they ban you next from everything Buffalo Bills?!?!

How am I supposed to use the old BBMB Chris Brown Emoji nowwww:cry:

I'd be more worried about the guys on the Athletic.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills are taking this secrecy thing way too far.  They are gonna cut a bunch of guys before the opener who will have tons of information much closer to game day.

Then after opening Sunday every team is going to have film and information on every other team.  

Lighten up you guys, please.

If Beane is truly investing in people to scour social media to find information, then he can just bring in one of the 27 Jets players cut on Sept 5th and get their entire playbook.  In fact, there will be over 600 guys across the NFL waiver wire that will be cut by 9/5, every team's camp activity will be transparent anyway within a few days because of all the information out there and the opposing teams bringing in guys to "evaluate' them.

Do they really think Chris Brown, who is a true blue Bills fan, is going to impact a game a month from now by talking about where some non-starting rookie is going to rotate in at Dline?  Cmon man.  

• Like (+1) 9