Jordan Poyer Mic'd up at Training camp

I'm basically starting to preemptively sweat facing our D if I'm any offensive coordinator in this league. You know they will be meticulously prepared, aggressive ball hawks and will be playing fast. Which overall unit would you trade ours for at this point? I'll hang up and listen.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I'm basically starting to preemptively sweat facing our D if I'm any offensive coordinator in this league. You know they will be meticulously prepared, aggressive ball hawks and will be playing fast. Which overall unit would you trade ours for at this point? I'll hang up and listen.   

I mean, what is the weak spot?  Maybe CB2 and LB depth?

It is going to be nasty.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It is going to be nasty.

Honestly answering: Pass rush and takeaways.

We play a bend-but-dont-break Defense which allows opponents up the field before forcing them to punt or settle for a FG. But we dont really go out and "SHUT IT DOWN".

Lost our sack leader in FA (Phillips), but replaced those stats with Addison, hopefully. Although they play vastly different positions.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We play a bend-but-dont-break Defense which allows opponents up the field before forcing them to punt or settle for a FG. But we dont really go out and "SHUT IT DOWN".

Lost our sack leader in FA (Phillips), but replaced those stats with Addison, hopefully. Although they play vastly different positions.

I'm expecting Oliver to take a step in that regard.  And with all of the other horses on that D line, I don't think pass rush should be a problem.

With an improved pass rush the takeaways should come.  I mean we have guys on the back end that can pick it, and Edmunds range in coverage is nuts.

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'm expecting Oliver to take a step in that regard.  And with all of the other horses on that D line, I don't think pass rush should be a problem.

With an improved pass rush the takeaways should come.  I mean we have guys on the back end that can pick it, and Edmunds range in coverage is nuts.

I hope so.

I'm not a huge fan of McDermott's passive style of D, but I certainly cant argue with the results. It just leaves me wanting in "aggressive" stats like sacks and turnovers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

3rd in the NFL in yards per game is pretty strong. They don't bend too much. 

I know what you mean, it felt like they gave up more yards than you'd like, but teams are going to move the ball at times against any defense. 

Edited by elroy16

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Differences between Phillips and Addison:

1. Phillips was playing out of position and made plays but he also gave offenses holes while Addison is good at sacking and good on blocking/tackling.
  2. Phillips is a much better cheerleader.

4 hours ago, SWATeam said:

It is going to be nasty.

There were a couple teams and formations that took it to the Bills D last year.   Our Run D was poor when really needed.  And the Bills gave up 4.3 YPC for the year.  

The Eagles put Howard and Miles Sanders on the field together in 21 formation and they ran wild versus the Bills that day in the second half.  So their ability to run versus our nickel package was an issue.  Even when Eagles late in game went 1 back and 3 TEs vs Bills they had success versus our Base D and Jumbo package.  For 218 yds rushing!

Then in the 2nd NE game the Bills gave up 143 yds on 35 rushes to NE.  They ran it when Bills knew it and Bills couldn't stop them.  This is where Jefferson, Butler, Horrible Harry, Addison and Epenesa should help this year.  Even AJ Klein at LB in the base 4-3 D should help.

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I hope so.

I'm not a huge fan of McDermott's passive style of D, but I certainly cant argue with the results. It just leaves me wanting in "aggressive" stats like sacks and turnovers.

Totally agree with this but most teams will self destruct the more plays they have to run.  But I would love to have a young pass rusher who can just wreck shop.  It’s my one concern with this defense.  Our pass rushers are all old and I don’t know if AJ is an elite pass rusher. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Totally agree with this but most teams will self destruct the more plays they have to run.  But I would love to have a young pass rusher who can just wreck shop.  It’s my one concern with this defense.  Our pass rushers are all old and I don’t know if AJ is an elite pass rusher. 

I think Oliver is going to be an elite pass rusher.  Probably starting this year.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:56 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Sacks and turnovers tend to be the things that vary widely from season to season. Defenses that thrive in them can have big swings in production because of the randomness of both stats. Phillips is a great example of this. QB pressure rate was low but sack rate was off the charts. That’s not sustainable.

The reason McDermot has consistent success is because he runs a scheme that doesn’t rely on these things. He makes teams earn their entire way down the field which also cuts down in the game altering big plays.

Its not sexy but it is the best way to have a consistent performance. 

• Like (+1) 1