Garbage Picking

Irv

I did a major clean up of my garage yesterday.   I am on staycation this week.  Thanks Cuomo.  I threw out a lot of old wire and metal.  Normally I would expect that stuff to be picked up by the scrappers but it doesn’t seem like scrappers are coming around anymore.  Anybody notice the same in your neighborhood?

14 minutes ago, Irv said:

I did a major clean up of my garage yesterday.   I am on staycation this week.  Thanks Cuomo.  I threw out a lot of old wire and metal.  Normally I would expect that stuff to be picked up by the scrappers but it doesn’t seem like scrappers are coming around anymore.  Anybody notice the same in your neighborhood?

Did you leave it at the end of your driveway?  Where I live, leaving something at the end of your driveway indicates that it's free/up for grabs.

• Haha (+1) 2

My kitchen table came from the garbage across the street.......perfectly fine and bigger than what I moved in with.

I also grabbed a small end-table-style table while jogging one day, in anticipation of getting a turntable. Still have it, but don't use the table; it's in the kids bedroom.

You never know what people will get rid of.

i am on my local buy nothing and yard sale groups on facebook, i have gotten some serious deals.  One person's trash......

in fact, picking up a computer monitor today for free, almost got a 46" LED from the same person but someone else beat me to the punch

Edited by The Poojer

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Did you leave it at the end of your driveway?  Where I live, leaving something at the end of your driveway indicates that it's free/up for grabs.

Speaking of which, I a have an acquaintance who has a recurring bit on social media called "Couches of Delmar".  It seems Delmar, NY leads the nation in curbside couches.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Speaking of which, I a have an acquaintance who has a recurring bit on social media called "Couches of Delmar".  It seems Delmar, NY leads the nation in curbside couches.

That is hilarious!  I have a friend who lives in Delmar.  I need to check that out!

I live on a relatively busy road, anything & everything that I put to the curb is gone within hours.

I have a ride on mower that needs a lot of work, but I don’t want to futz with it. Thinking about putting it our there w a “for parts” sign.

3 hours ago, Irv said:

Opposite here.  Replaced two kitchen appliances and put them on curb along with 2 old lawn mowers, 3 chairs and some other items.  My wife kept insisting I call bulk pickup and I told her "you call them" and sent her link.  I spaced everything out rather than a pile like she wanted. Day later everything is gone except 2 chairs and next day another chair is gone. She said it was not worth calling rather than admitting no need to call in first place.

We recently got rid of a large entertainment center. It was probably 6 feet tall and too much for me and the family to move. Had a furniture delivery and threw the guys a few bucks to take it to the street. It was gone within an two hours - and I don't live on a busy street.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Several years ago a friend of mine was mowing his lawn and ran out of gas while he was in the front part of his lawn between the sidewalk and street. He went to the garage to grab the gas can and when he came back in front he found a guy trying to load it onto his truck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, dhg said:

Several years ago a friend of mine was mowing his lawn and ran out of gas while he was in the front part of his lawn between the sidewalk and street. He went to the garage to grab the gas can and when he came back in front he found a guy trying to load it onto his truck. 

Last summer I had a garage sale.  I set the stuff up at the end of the driveway.  I left my house for less than 5 minutes and when I came back, a bike helmet and a couple other small things were gone - and a kid was riding the bike I was selling.  I know if I was 5 minutes later, it would have been gone.  I had $10 on the thing and the kid's mom asked if I'd take her last $6 for it, which I did.

The end of the driveway thing is definitely real.  Even if something has clear price tags on it.

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Last summer I had a garage sale.  I set the stuff up at the end of the driveway.  I left my house for less than 5 minutes and when I came back, a bike helmet and a couple other small things were gone - and a kid was riding the bike I was selling.  I know if I was 5 minutes later, it would have been gone.  I had $10 on the thing and the kid's mom asked if I'd take her last $6 for it, which I did.

The end of the driveway thing is definitely real.  Even if something has clear price tags on it.

In a cutthroat neighborhood like that it's no wonder you thought the grill tucked behind the garage next door was fair game.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

In a cutthroat neighborhood like that it's no wonder you thought the grill tucked behind the garage next door was fair game.

Every driveway has two ends.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

My kitchen table came from the garbage across the street.......perfectly fine and bigger than what I moved in with.

You never know what people will get rid of.

From that same 'more money than sense' mentality, there used to be an annual 'large item pickup' week in greater Fort Erie, and it was amazing what the high monied summer residents would set out.  My dad picked up two beautiful park benches that had a single broken board on each.  A trip to the lumber yard for a board and carriage bolts, and back into service in his yard.  Nowadays, the trash collectors will pretty much pick up any large item at anytime, as long as you have arranged the pickup in advance via phone or email.  However, a few times I have had to call the service to let them know the 'scrap hawks' have beaten the pickup service to the item.

• Like (+1) 1