The Batman trailer

Mark Vader

Sort of along the lines of the post above me, apparently The Batman is a different continuity/universe than the Joker movie. soooo...they're going to re-cast the Joker character again soon? lol

It's hard to think The Batman trilogy wouldn't use the Joker in some form after all, the character is so money

On 8/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, That's No Moon said:

It'd be nice to have a DC movie that isn't hot garbage.

And after the Batman with Bale and Ledger they should have stopped. That was peak Batman.

Agreed.  You can't beat a Nolan directed movie with Bale, Ledger, and Caine.  I'm pretty confident they'll never make a better Superhero movie.  I loved Keaton too but he was a better Bruce Wayne than Batman while Bale nailed the Bruce Wayne/Batman personas equally.

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

This is a worn-out complaint, especially with iconic comic-based movies. The comics themselves tell thousands of stories and include different versions of the same hero/villain. 

Why should that be different with movies? 

When it comes down to it, all movies are the same old stories told in a different way, under a different context, with different characters. Its just the passing on of ideas through different groups and generations of people.

So don't expect super hero movies to go extinct any time soon and we can look forward to niche characters being thrown in here and there.

They absolutely need to tell a good Silver Surfer/Galactus story on the big screen with awesome effects. The 2007 film was a bit disappointing.

It's odd though.  With all those stories and source material, they keep going back to an early in his career Batman.  Snyder was really the only one who didn't.  He planted a ton of easter eggs for what could have been a very different version of Batman than we've seen in movies.  We've never seen any of the rest of the bat family in anything but the campy versions.  If they really want something different, particularly with these darker takes, they need to bring Jason Todd to the big screen.  That will shake people from the "same old story" line of thinking.

54 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's odd though.  With all those stories and source material, they keep going back to an early in his career Batman.  Snyder was really the only one who didn't.  He planted a ton of easter eggs for what could have been a very different version of Batman than we've seen in movies.  We've never seen any of the rest of the bat family in anything but the campy versions.  If they really want something different, particularly with these darker takes, they need to bring Jason Todd to the big screen.  That will shake people from the "same old story" line of thinking.

I agree. They could do that if they were able to pull off the universe the way Marvel did. Like how we'll now have a new Capt America and no Iron Man....or a new Iron Man?

But DC has sucked at it.

Joker and The Batman seem like they could be great starting points for a good series. They say Joker is not related to this one, but the tone and the Joker-esque gang in the new trailer seem to match Joker.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If you want to keep having these movies that's fine but they should at least build in each other in some sort of meaningful way not just reboot the whole thing every couple years after a bad movie came out or an actor got too old to do the part.

Marvel did a nice job having a whole bunch of movies all connected together that all together told a story. DC has been terrible at that save a couple good individual movies here and there. They started to get on the right track with the Justice League thing even though it wasn't very good. Maybe it will turn out ok but the idea of trying to force all the previous Batman things together into a multiverse doesn't seem like it will go well. So now you'll have Wonder Woman who not only transcends time, she transcends time in multiple universes? Are Heath Ledger Joker and Jared Leto Joker in the same universe or different ones? And yes I know there are a million crossover comics and thousands of stories told in those comics but they all follow a fairly long arc. Doing this over and over again feels like a skipping record rather than following an actual arc from beginning to middle to end where the next Batman becomes Batman at the end of the previous Batman not back at the start again. Same thing with Superman. Stop starting over from the beginning and just follow a story arc.

DC is a skipping record, yes.

But to your previous complaint, I'm saying it's not a lack of creativity or ideas. Its what the audience wants and they can be creative to an extent with the different stories/versions.

You kids get off my lawn!!! And stop making your superhero movies!!!

I judge every movie individually. If it's done well and has a good story, why worry about anything else.

It's like saying, why make another horror movie, there are tons of horror movies already. Or way make another RomCom, there are a ton of RomCom movies already. You get the idea.

Make it good, make as many as you want.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree. They could do that if they were able to pull off the universe the way Marvel did. Like how we'll now have a new Capt America and no Iron Man....or a new Iron Man?

But DC has sucked at it.

Joker and The Batman seem like they could be great starting points for a good series. They say Joker is not related to this one, but the tone and the Joker-esque gang in the new trailer seem to match Joker.

I hope they never follow-up Joker.  That movie was perfect as a standalone.

• Like (+1) 1

Towards the end I noticed that this is the first Batman movie that acknowledges he wears the eye makeup under the mask. Where the old ones it magically disappeared when he took the mask off. Small detail but it always bothered me for some reason.

Nirvana was a cool touch as well.

Also as far The Dark Knight Rises not being as good as The Dark Knight. Agreed but IIRC the plan was going to be Joker again as the main villain but obviously plans changed. So who knows what Nolan’s original vision for the conclusion would have been. It was a very good plan B.

Edited by NobesBLO13
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Towards the end I noticed that this is the first Batman movie that acknowledges he wears the eye makeup under the mask. Where the old ones it magically disappeared when he took the mask off. Small detail but it always bothered me for some reason.

Nirvana was a cool touch as well.

Also as far The Dark Knight Rises not being as good as The Dark Knight. Agreed but IIRC the plan was going to be Joker again as the main villain but obviously plans changed. So who knows what Nolan’s original vision for the conclusion would have been. It was a very good plan B.

I doubt he was ever going to be the main villain.  I can't imagine any story that wasn't going to bring the Ra's storyline full circle.  If anything, I'd bet that Joker was going to have the judge role that Scarecrow filled.

6 hours ago, shrader said:

I doubt he was ever going to be the main villain.  I can't imagine any story that wasn't going to bring the Ra's storyline full circle.  If anything, I'd bet that Joker was going to have the judge role that Scarecrow filled.

I see what you’re saying but I don’t think the Joker would ever serve as a side judge type character to anyone. He is the main bad guy in the Batman canon. In the first Nolan movie they billed the scare crow as a side kick to Raus Algul (Spell?). 
The Joker was too “genius” and “evil”. He was never meant to be a side character. He’s the main guy.