Checking in on Jets: O-Line and WRs STRUGGLING

Rigotz

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’ve also lost their 2 best players since then. This Jets team absolutely stinks. This is about a 4 win team. They have no weapons and a still developing (or questionable) OL. They lost Adams and Mosley as well. That is an awful football team. It is the type of team, that a good, well-prepared, team should beat by 3 scores. Fortunately, that’s what I expect to happen. If the Bills do not sweep the Jets this year it will be a massive failure. There is not one position group where the Jets are better.

Agree.

And let's hope Gaze gets a pass because of this. He needs to stay in power.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

It really makes you appreciate what McDermott and Beane have done. Thankfully the Bills have world class ownership.

Sabre fan line 2

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Darnold may be a better passer at this stage, of but Allen is by far the better QB. Like a lot of people, Mehta conflates the two.

I don't know what Darnold's number was, but Allen had a better "on target %", which accounts for factors out of the QB's control like drops, than MVP Lamar Jackson.

8 hours ago, Rigotz said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-defense-dominates-jets-camp-20200820-2mg5wba7nnhfpbvmdprnuturhy-story.html

3 weeks until we play them week 1. Should be a fun game for our defense.

Josh and the Offense will need to step up to beat a tough Jets Defense. If they can do that, we will likely start off 1-0.

Remember how bad Brian Walters sucked?  

Edited by JohnNord

2 hours ago, eball said:

I read Albert Breer's MMQB this morning and you'd think the Jets are going to shock the world.  Too funny.  I'm with you on this -- even if Darnold going to "QB school" with Josh this summer results in him "closing his shoulder when throwing to the right" they are still pretty bad on offense.  Oh, and isn't it interesting that Darnold apparently has/had mechanical issues?  I thought only Josh Allen was a reclamation project.  The Jets' D front is solid, but they lost their best LB and their best DB.  The OL needed a real offseason to put it together.  Bills by 10+.

People never mentions this but the number issue I see with Darnold is he plays like a sucka when he gets hit or feels pressure. He is front runner. When everthing is going well he can dot you up but if he feels consistent pressure and hits it will affect his game

I'm not shaking in my boots over the Jets.  Even if they were building the team the right way, they are a year or two behind the Bills, and I don't think they're building the right way.  They hired the wrong coach for starters.  The lack of a healthy culture has cost them a player or two.  Jamal Adams raised a stink because he's convinced Gase is a bad fit.  The defense is going to be dangerous.  Gregg Williams is an aggressive coach and his defense is based heavily on pressure and deception.  By this time, though, Josh Allen has enough experience that Williams is unlikely to completely confuse him too much over the course of an entire game.  The real question with Williams is his ethics as a coach.  He was involved with bountygate while with the Saints.  He may or may not be trying a similar trick these days, but I sincerely doubt he goes by Sean McDermott's mantra, "Play hard but clean."  I think he probably encourages his players to do whatever they can get away with, and taking opposing players off the field might well be part of his message to players.  

As far as the offense is concerned, I think Josh Allen has grown and developed at least as much as Darnold, and Buffalo has done a better overal job of building around Allen.  The Jets have Leveon Bell, but I'm not that impressed with their efforts to build the offensive line and they have giving Darnold precious few viable targets in the passing game.  I will bet that Devin Singletary and Zach Moss combine for more yards on the ground than the Jets gain with Bell and company when Buffalo plays the Jets

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’ve also lost their 2 best players since then. This Jets team absolutely stinks. This is about a 4 win team. They have no weapons and a still developing (or questionable) OL. They lost Adams and Mosley as well. That is an awful football team. It is the type of team, that a good, well-prepared, team should beat by 3 scores. Fortunately, that’s what I expect to happen. If the Bills do not sweep the Jets this year it will be a massive failure. There is not one position group where the Jets are better.

Agree. I liked their chances to be above .500 last year on the same favourable schedule as the Bills but since then they lost their best player (Adams), their best linebacker (Mosely), their two best receivers (Anderson and Enunwa) and their three most experienced oline players (Winters, Beachum and Kalil - although they didn't exactly work out as a combo in 2019). And the 2020 AFCE schedule on paper is considerably more difficult. 

They then spent their first two draft picks on players in the big, physical but raw category. I like Becton ultimately to be good a lot more than I like Mims to be but coming in as a rook and immediately being asked to anchor that line at left tackle is no easy task. 

The interesting question is what do the Jets do if they end up with the #1 overall pick? I think you have to take Lawrence and trade Darnold (he would still get a decent return) but if you traded out of #1 you would get an astronomical haul for the rights to Lawrence. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Had sirius XM nfl radio on the other day in my office. Brady Quinn was on and got asked the question of which units would suffer the most from not having a regular offseason. Without hesitation he stated it would be offensive line.... The jets and their 4 or 5 new starters immediately came to mind. Our D should be licking their chops for that matchup.

And in any other season it may very well have panned out..... but then we had a pandemic and no offseason programs.

SN, that’s one of the reasons why David Diehl, and others ranked the Bills line this year in their top 10.  The announcers were commenting the Bills continuity in the line will bode well for the team this year.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I liked their chances to be above .500 last year on the same favourable schedule as the Bills but since then they lost their best player (Adams), their best linebacker (Mosely), their two best receivers (Anderson and Enunwa) and their three most experienced oline players (Winters, Beachum and Kalil - although they didn't exactly work out as a combo in 2019). And the 2020 AFCE schedule on paper is considerably more difficult. 

They then spent their first two draft picks on players in the big, physical but raw category. I like Becton ultimately to be good a lot more than I like Mims to be but coming in as a rook and immediately being asked to anchor that line at left tackle is no easy task. 

The interesting question is what do the Jets do if they end up with the #1 overall pick? I think you have to take Lawrence and trade Darnold (he would still get a decent return) but if you traded out of #1 you would get an astronomical haul for the rights to Lawrence. 

I’m really hoping that the don’t get number 1 for that reason. Ideally Lawrence ends up in the NFC somewhere. Between that and the haul for Adams the Jets could turn it around quickly. I’d just assume they find a way to win 6 games and spend the next few years in purgatory.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They won’t let him go after this year... He will get at least another shot with the inevitable next coach.

I don’t know. If he is still the same player that he was a year ago they’re in a tough spot (specially with a top 5 pick). They probably have an opportunity to add anyone not named Lawrence. If they pick 1 they can get him. Do you pass on Fields or Lance for year 4 of an inconsistent Darnold? I don’t think that the Jets would do that.

On 8/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, Greg S said:

But Jets fans say Darnold is the greatest QB ever. He is already in the HOF and has a gold jacket in their eyes.

The Josh Allen hate on the Jets' message board is crazy.  They definitely have a high opinion of Darnold as well.  I tend to agree with them, on the Darnold part at least.  I think Darnold can be an above average QB in this League and if Darnold had come to the Bills instead of Allen, Darnold would be ascendant.  As it is, I think Darnold has had about as much success on that dysfunctional team as he possibly could have.

You just can't overstate how important it is for a rookie QB's success to go to a franchise that has the ability and patience to support their development.