Singletary vs Moss

Tipster19

I have a few questions that needs some time for the answers to come to fruition. There’s plenty of speculation that go around about these two but I’ll just streamline to what the Bills would do if both are extremely productive, like I think they will be, when both get close to fulfilling their first contract. Could the Bills afford to pay both of them big contracts? I don’t know if that’s possible, or if it is, would that be too much money to tie up at that position? If all things are equal between those two when that time comes and the Bills could only re-sign one of them, then who would that be? If both are healthy I think what might be the safer bet would be Singletary. Due to the way Moss runs and his college injury I would think that Singletary would stand a good chance of being able to having a longer career. 

I’m also anxious to see how these 2 perform together as a 1-2 punch. I think that the Bills could have the top rushing yardage in the league. As much as I love the Bills and Singletary I’m excited the most about is watching Moss run this season. Matter of fact as exciting as these last 3 years have been with all the rebuilding process, adding, cutting and trading of players, that tandem of Singletary & Moss, and Moss in particular, this year is going to be the big difference between the Bills having a good team and a great team. I truly believe that between the pandemic affected season, the Bills’ great defense and their powerful running game they are a serious threat for the Super Bowl and at the very least the Bills are in the AFC Championship game. If neither of that comes through it won’t change the way I think and feel about them and where they are at as a team, it’s just an expectation that I think is a real possibility.

• Like (+1) 3

I think it’s a great tandem, with Moss coming on later after he shows he can protect Josh. Willingness will not be an issue (maybe even worth extra entertainment points!), but he just needs to prove awareness vs the blitz. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

there have been a few instances of multiple RBs from one team  rushing for 1000 yards - i remember Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams doing that for the Panthers about a decade ago.

Maybe a more recent and better example of two RBs coexisting and doing well was Ingram and Kamala for the Saints in 2018. Moss reminds me of Ingram and Singletary reminds me of Kamara. Kamara had nearly 1600 yards from scrimmage (nearly 900 yds rushing) and Ingram ran for an additional 645 in just 12 games. Together they formed an effective 1-2 punch that carried the team to a super bowl berth 9were deprived by a refereeing error).

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Moss is a tough workhorse back.  He'll play the role of Frank Gore, but much more effectively.  Singletary is the shifty guy who can get to the second level and has a nose for space.  Only thing we are missing is a homerun hitter.

I know he is incredibly raw not having played a single NFL regular season game, but based on the sneak preview we got last preseason, Christian Wade could be that homerun hitter.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

I know he is incredibly raw not having played a single NFL regular season game, but based on the sneak preview we got last preseason, Christian Wade could be that homerun hitter.

I won’t hold my breath, but that would be a fabulous story.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Beane saw Hurney pay two RBs in Stewart and Williams, and only some home run draft classes were able to overcome that mistake.

Yeah honeslty 808 I dont know....if they split carries neither one of them will be pro bowl players and putting up the numbers that get a insane 2nd contract.

More then likely....one plays more then the other......we have someone like moss until his 2nd contract and then he gets a contract we dont match

but we are talking years down the road so not really a concern right now

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Yeah honeslty 808 I dont know....if they split carries neither one of them will be pro bowl players and putting up the numbers that get a insane 2nd contract.

More then likely....one plays more then the other......we have someone like moss until his 2nd contract and then he gets a contract we dont match

but we are talking years down the road so not really a concern right now

Exactly...it’s too far off to project. I’m just generally opposed to spending money on RBs when it’s such a readily available position to draft, productivity-wise.

Way too early to even speculate on this.Zach is a rookie. And Devin got maybe a half a season of real work in between the injury and the reps he lost to Gore. 

4 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I have a few questions that needs some time for the answers to come to fruition. There’s plenty of speculation that go around about these two but I’ll just streamline to what the Bills would do if both are extremely productive, like I think they will be, when both get close to fulfilling their first contract. Could the Bills afford to pay both of them big contracts? I don’t know if that’s possible, or if it is, would that be too much money to tie up at that position? If all things are equal between those two when that time comes and the Bills could only re-sign one of them, then who would that be? If both are healthy I think what might be the safer bet would be Singletary. Due to the way Moss runs and his college injury I would think that Singletary would stand a good chance of being able to having a longer career. 

I’m also anxious to see how these 2 perform together as a 1-2 punch. I think that the Bills could have the top rushing yardage in the league. As much as I love the Bills and Singletary I’m excited the most about is watching Moss run this season. Matter of fact as exciting as these last 3 years have been with all the rebuilding process, adding, cutting and trading of players, that tandem of Singletary & Moss, and Moss in particular, this year is going to be the big difference between the Bills having a good team and a great team. I truly believe that between the pandemic affected season, the Bills’ great defense and their powerful running game they are a serious threat for the Super Bowl and at the very least the Bills are in the AFC Championship game. If neither of that comes through it won’t change the way I think and feel about them and where they are at as a team, it’s just an expectation that I think is a real possibility.

honestly why don't you just wait and see. Brush up on your grammar in the meanwhile kiddo.

• Sad 1

Tipster..... one of your best...And that’s saying a lot. ..

Asking us to speculate on which one they should resign? What a great problem to have down the track..

I would be happy to enjoy them both in the next three years and worry what happens after that in 2023 ...

Edited by Aussie Joe

Tipster, first, we don’t need to worry about extensions until 2023 on Singletary, and 2024 on Moss so let’s table that until much, much later.  As far as their skill sets, Moss is an upgrade over Gore with fresh legs and a nasty streak to him.  He’s faster from what I see than some think, but as others have we’ll wait til he plays the games.  Singletary we have pro tape on and he is a shifty guy reminding me of a kind of Shady player not that he’s there yet.  It’s a fun problem to have with these two.  They should both contribute very well, and make Allen’s job easier as he has a release if the deep ball is not there.  I’ve seen some of Moss’s skills in the short passing game in college, and Singletary demonstrated that as well last year.  We’ll be fine.  Sit back and enjoy this year.

I became a Utah Utes fan when I lived in Salt Lake City, and Moss was my favorite Ute.  He is both tough and elusive.  He does have speed but isn't really quick, but he has the power to make people miss if they guess even a little bit wrong about where he's going. I told this board before the draft that we would love Moss if we drafted him, and so far that's looking good.  He reminds me of how Freddy Jackson played with heart, but Moss is more talented, bigger and stronger.  (Freddy is actually taller but Moss is thicker and stronger.)

The end of THIS season is a long way off, let alone two or three or four years from now.  Let's hope both Singletary and Moss are having good, productive, injury-free careers, when the time comes to make a decision about whether to keep both, one, or neither. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Beane saw Hurney pay two RBs in Stewart and Williams, and only some home run draft classes were able to overcome that mistake.

Stewart and Williams were first rounders who were paid top dollar in an era without a rookie wage scale. Singletary and Moss are 3rd round picks on team friendly deals. And RB salaries have fallen so much relative to other positions that they are rarely salary cap busters. The fact that we are comparing the play of a cost controlled Moss and Singletary to an expensive duo like Stewart and Williams (the panthers went 12-4 with Jake Delhomme! and these two RBs in 2008) only appears to show Beane knows what he is doing, no?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Let Moss at least play ONE game before we talk about whether we'll pay him 4 YEARS from now! But, I too love the possibility/future of those two. Should be awesome. Go Bills! 

This simply wasn’t necessary and you know it.

• Haha (+1) 1