Enough with the political BS, NFL needs to ban fans league wide

Penfield45

The only way I can see the NFL making the “fans in some stadiums but not others” issue more fair would be to pipe in crowd noise at the no-fans stadiums.

The competitive advantage for teams with fans, in terms of snap counts and so forth, is just too great. There has to be SOME leveling of the playing field.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Just my take, not a comment on Covid itself at all. I couldn’t care less if I can go to game this season. After spending 40 hours a week wearing a mask, I’d rather sit in front of the tv watching the Bills in comfort. 

I don’t get how you make the mask thing really work though. Are they going to ban food and drinks ? How would they determine when you are or aren’t eating ? Who enforces all of this ? I don’t see who would be stopping fans from loading up on a bunch to eat during the game, so they could keep the mask off. I’d be like the restaurant rule. They’d almost need to just sit people six feet apart, and only require masks in the concourse imo. 

Sounds good to me! 

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

Speaking of political, How about we stop making this virus political? 

Home field advantage is because of the fans.  We need an advantage, it worth the small risk. 

I trust the local and state politicians to decide what’s best!

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Although I am a definite mask wearer and am, if anything, overly cautious in regards to my proximity to others at this time, I think there will be a way to get fans in the seats. It’s gonna be hard and it’s  going to really test security measures, but I think they could definitely do some thing with about 20,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium. The fear that we can all have is what happens when something goes wrong and people stop listening to the measures in place. If there is a giant outbreak out of a football game, it shuts down the opportunity for further attendance and has implications away from the game. That is, more than likely, the fear the NFL and  its owners harbour. The press and optics behind that are very undesirable.

This. it’s not that it can’t be outlined and setup. The reality is sooner, not later, one open stadium will create an outbreak and the whole league will start talking about a mandate back to zero. I can truly see the ability to be locale to locale based on the wide variety of virus variance by locations but as we have seen some states that had hardly any cases now have a ton. The Buffalo region has so few cases right now that I think we are a good candidate for limited fans. I surmise we won’t get past 2-4 weeks before some stadium has a major outbreak and it is mandated back to zero across the NFL.  It’s inevitable because people will not stand by the distancing and mask rules in those numbers and will be partying outside no matter what you do. So even with restrictions people will blow them off and there will be mass cases. 

It’s a tough call because each team needs to  maximize revenue yet it’s an unfair advantage  for some teams to have real fans in the stands. I still think the NFL should have the madden people use the sounds from their  game and controlled decibel levels to simulate equal home situations (like the NHL playoffs is doing) for all stadiums but we still know that will lead the teams like the Pats to cheat somehow. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

The way the league has handled the virus and their planning has been a downright joke. the fact that the league is too scared to come out and ban fans for the next season so they don't get backlash from their conservative fanbase is embarrassing. 

How are some teams allowed to bring in fans but others aren't? How is that even remotely fair? Just ban fans all together until it is safe to do otherwise. 

Is there even a plan for this? It is just a total mess right now. I don't see the league finishing this season with the way its going right now. players testing positive left and right in training camp, what happens when games start and teams are constantly traveling? There are way too many moving parts in football to get this done properly in this environment. 

This is idiocy-you don't see the league finishing the season???  Total mess right now??

Why are people like you out there rooting for this to fail?

Regardless of pollical beliefs, the NFL is a multi billion dollar business- people depend on it

They are and should be doing everything possible to safely proceed with a season

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

The way the league has handled the virus and their planning has been a downright joke. the fact that the league is too scared to come out and ban fans for the next season so they don't get backlash from their conservative fanbase is embarrassing. 

How are some teams allowed to bring in fans but others aren't? How is that even remotely fair? Just ban fans all together until it is safe to do otherwise. 

Is there even a plan for this? It is just a total mess right now. I don't see the league finishing this season with the way its going right now. players testing positive left and right in training camp, what happens when games start and teams are constantly traveling? There are way too many moving parts in football to get this done properly in this environment. 

I agree, somewhat. 

There will possibly be serious spread of the infection, if fans are permitted to come to games.

But, im not 100% sure what the plans are, so I find it hard, and irresponsible, to attack them. 

ShinyLimitedBarasinga-max-1mb.gif

9 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

What about climate change ? 

This is distracting us from the real issue. 

19 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Oh, right now probably the difference between 75,000, and 175,000 American deaths.  The science deniers and anti-maskers tend to reside on the 'conservative' end of the spectrum.  

mama, there goes that man ???

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It’s gonna be hard and it’s  going to really test security measures, but I think they could definitely do some thing with about 20,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium. 

I'd like to believe that is true but I haven't seen a detailed plan as to how exactly that is going to be done. What is the basis for your belief that it could be done? For example, how do you get from your seat in the middle of the row to the aisle and back again when you have to use the head or want to get a fried bologna sandwich without having to squeeze by every person seated in that row between you and the aisle? Who and how are they going to monitor and police mask wearing by 20+ thousand people for 4 hours? How do you figure out which third of your fanbase gets tickets and which don't? Do you monitor and enforce social distancing in the parking lots? In the lines outside the entrances? Are you going to take the temperature of 20 thousand people? How early will fans have to get there to go through all of that just to get in, 7 hours? 5 hours? 2 hours? Does anybody know? How are people going to be seated, individually with everyone 6 feet apart? Or if you go to the game with a friend or a child, etc. do you get to sit together? 

It's easy to "think" it can be done with shorthand reasoning but once you start digging in to the details, it gets closer and closer to impossible to respect the rules needed to reduce the risks to acceptable levels, ie masks and 6 feet apart. I'll think it is "possible" when someone explains to me, who has been to every sporting event from little league soccer to NFL games to the NCAA championship game (New Orleans 2003, Go Orange!!!), how you get from the middle of the row to the aisle without lots of butt-to-face interactions.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The technology exists to put up walk-through temperature scanners.  Here's an article about having them implemented at Tyson Food plants.  They're basically walk-through scanners like a metal detector.

Temperature scanners are apparently common in Asia.  For example I'm told in China at universities now, staff and faculty have to be scanned in every day, they walk up to a device that recognizes their face, takes their temperature, and either admits them or redirects them for a second temperature check with an individual thermometer.

Even individual forehead scanning doesn't slow things down too much.  For example at GM Tonawanda, employees have to get their badge scanned, affirm they have none of the listed symptoms, and have their temperature scanned before being admitted to work.  It apparently goes pretty quickly once people are "used to" the drill and have their badge ready with one hand and their hair off their forehead with the other.

Here's the problem though: if people are most infectious just before they become symptomatic (several studies indicate this is likely) and if asymptomatic people are infectious (again, several studies indicate it's so) temperature scanning isn't too helpful at excluding covid-19 infected and infectious fans.  It's better than nothing I guess.

I don’t know the cost Hapless, but when we adopted my daughter from China in 2004, it was the height of Covid-2 (aka. SARS) so they had these thermometers that looked like Running Man, the original as you walk through the scanner and the heat signatures in the body had different colors. Then again, there were Chinese military with M-16’s.  That was interesting.

It is not reasonable a state like Texas currently has a rule by the Governor of 50%, whereas in KC I guess they are rolling with 22%.  I don’t know if that is by rule by the state, or just the Chiefs plan.  Personally, I will never go to a game until there is an approved vaccine. It’s just not smart and too easy to catch something, but that’s my choice.  I don’t see why go to a place where there 15,000 people together, and you can tell me people will honor all the provisions to even remotely think it will be safe.  How is the bathroom handled, the concourses, etc.  someone said something about masks, so no one can drink any liquids, eat any food.  Cmon.  You guys want to gamble, enjoy it and be part of the 10-15,000 in each stadium that allows it.

Seeing a game live is not worth it to me when I can watch in my home on TV, have something to eat and drink with my sons, and so on.

My brutha Mod @Hapless Bills Fan has chimed in on multiple posts in a worthy attempt to save this “BS” thread. Personally, I think the tread is complete “BS” and unworthy of a main board topic. Hell, it’s unworthy in PPP, imo.

Seriously considering slamming the trunk shut on this witless carnage.

Thoughts?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

TWO BILLION DOLLARS

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

My brutha Mod @Hapless Bills Fan has chimed in on multiple posts in a worthy attempt to save this “BS” thread. Personally, I think the tread is complete “BS” and unworthy of a main board topic. Hell, it’s unworthy in PPP, imo.

Seriously considering slamming the trunk shut on this witless carnage.

Thoughts?

Do eet

• Haha (+1) 1