“Become the best version of themselves...”

eball

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You are correct. 5-18 against winning or playoff teams.  Still awful.

The team LOOKS TO BE headed in the right direction. I think my point all along has been he's done a good job and he's a good coach but fans are giving him way too much credit because it's Buffalo and the standards have been so low.

Insightful? It's a message board. Just simply stating the facts. For some reason pointing out that McDs resume against the better teams of the league is poor(0-6 against BB)and that needs to change hurts people's feelings.

You know, you and @C.Biscuit97 are the ones always talking about “hurt feelings” — I don’t see anyone else harping on that and I certainly don’t talk about it.  I wonder if the two of you are really the ones taking all of this way too seriously with how you “protect” yourselves from being excited or optimistic.  Most of us are having a lot of fun enjoying a football team that looks really good and is headed in the right direction.  Standards aren’t “low” at all — I don’t know a single Bills fan who doesn’t expect good to great things this season.  I’m really sorry you can’t recognize what McD has done here without couching it around an “I need to see better results” qualifier.

You’re the one stuck in the doldrums of Bills past, my friend.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m ready for greatness eball!

A win against the Patriots for once would be a nice start... I’ll be clapping up a storm if that happens!?

Are you always this miserable? Bill's for sure on the right path.  Take's time after the crap Rex among others put Bill's in.  Playoffs two out of three seasons before none. Time to face the facts instead of feel's.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

So Marvin Lewis was not a failure as a HC?  Of course he was.  He had the talent to regularly appear in the playoffs but he couldn't win those games.  If McD has the same career, how can you say he would not be considered a failure?  The essence of the season, of the game, is to advance in the playoffs.  Failing that, if all you did was "change the culture", what was the point?

McD has in the past 3 years, one more win than  Rex/Lynn/Marone had the previous 3.  If the Bills were to choke away another one and done playoff game  this year, you think everyone would be circling back to:  "but at least the culture is different"?  And the year after that?   I bet not, except for the handful of true believers (who thought the same of Rex, Marrone, etc).

I don't think Marvin was failure, no. Look at the Bengals before and since. Basket case of a franchise he did a really good job for a long time. He never got them over the hump and the time was right to move on but I don't look back at him as a failure. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Marvin was failure, no. Look at the Bengals before and since. Basket case of a franchise he did a really good job for a long time. He never got them over the hump and the time was right to move on but I don't look back at him as a failure. 

I disagree.  You can't come that close year after year and fail----7 WC losses (last 5 in a row).  In 2013, he had a top 10 and top 5 D!  Futility IS failure.

That's a coaching deficiency and nothing else.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I disagree.  You can't come that close year after year and fail----7 WC losses (last 5 in a row).  In 2013, he had a top 10 and top 5 D!  Futility IS failure.

There were years in that run they should have gone further, I don't disagree. But when I look at his overall record he took a franchise that had been an absolute embarrassment for a decade and made it a competitive football team for 15 years. You can't do that without being a good football coach and leader which Magic Marvin was. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is exactly how I feel about losing four consecutive Super Bowls.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They should’ve moved on from Marvin a long time ago.... but that’s what happens when your owner is satisfied with mediocrity. 

They have an owner who doesn't have any concept of what winning takes. Marvin may not have been great and yet he was the best thing about the franchise. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There were years in that run they should have gone further, I don't disagree. But when I look at his overall record he took a franchise that had been an absolute embarrassment for a decade and made it a competitive football team for 15 years. You can't do that without being a good football coach and leader which Magic Marvin was. 

The franchise became a playoff embarrassment—I guess that’s something... 

“Magic Marvin” had only one trick: he would make the team disappear in every wildcard game, and he would magically reappear In his office  the following offseason.

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The franchise became a playoff embarrassment—I guess that’s something... 

“Magic Marvin” had only one trick: he would make the team disappear in every wildcard game, and he would magically reappear In his office  the following offseason.

I just think that is far too a simplistic way of thinking about things. We are not ever going to change one another's minds about how you judge the success or otherwise of coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1