Unpopular Bills takes, Past and present.

Present- Trent Murphy is better then people realize. He is not constantly in danger of being cut. He’s a very effective pass rusher when he’s on the field. If he’s healthy, he can help the team. 

Past- Doug a Marone wasn’t a bad coach. Just because he took advantage of an opt out, doesn’t erase the fact that he was part of this teams turn around. From 14’ on, the Bills went from a joke, to respectable. He was a part of that initial step. McDermott is better, no question...but people act like Marone was terrible just because they were pissed at him for leaving

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Bill Polian is drastically overrated in Buffalo
Doug Whaley was a much better GM than most in Buffalo think. If he hit on QB, his whole story is different.

How is he drastically overrated? Those were some of the greatest teams the NFL ever saw... if anyone was a bit overrated it was Marv (God bless him though, great man). I could see Polian being overrated in Indy having Manning, but he still did draft him... Whaley sealed his fate with the trade up for Sammy and drafting EJ. 

My take is 3rd and long draw to Shaud Williams for 3 yards over and over and over was actually a smart play... lol just kidding. Nothing honestly comes to mind for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I'll begin:

The early 2000's Jerseys, including the roads aren't as bad as everyone says.  Great? Heck no.  Current and everything prior blows them away but I still kinda liked them.  

What's everyone else got? 

No way.  Those road uni's were ugly as sin.  Right up there with the Sabres slug uniform.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Doug Whaley was a much better GM than most in Buffalo think. If he hit on QB, his whole story is different.

Not sure I agree that Polian is overrated, at least during his time in Buffalo.. but I very much agree about Whaley.  

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I agree about Whaley. He wasn't nearly as bad as his reputation around here.  Don't know enough about Polian to judge him one way or the other.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree about Whaley. He wasn't nearly as bad as his reputation around here.  Don't know enough about Polian to judge him one way or the other.

Definitely agree. The guy never got to pick his coach and each new hire brought a different system he had to draft for.  

23 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

How is he drastically overrated? Those were some of the greatest teams the NFL ever saw... if anyone was a bit overrated it was Marv (God bless him though, great man). I could see Polian being overrated in Indy having Manning, but he still did draft him... Whaley sealed his fate with the trade up for Sammy and drafting EJ. 

My take is 3rd and long draw to Shaud Williams for 3 yards over and over and over was actually a smart play... lol just kidding. Nothing honestly comes to mind for me.

Because I think he was at best average at drafting, not just in Buffalo, but Indy too. The best 2 players he ever drafted were consensus #1 overalls in Bruce and Manning. Give him credit for Getting Andre Reed in the 4th round. He built those teams in a pre-salarycap era largely by paying Jim Kelly the highest salary ever for an NFL player.

Essentially, I think a lot of Polian's success was luck of getting franchise QB's and elite talent at the top of drafts. And the fact that neither the Bills nor the Colts won anywhere near as much as they should have is the result of his weaknesses. He had a ton of mid round picks that never even ended up playing a game. Granted, there was a lot more rounds in those days , but if he didn't need the picks he should have done something more valuable with them.

Edit: I think the fact that he didn't build the Bills on a salary cap in Buffalo, and that he was unable to build a balanced team in Indy under a cap is further indictment.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Whaley never had the power that a good GM needs to build a winner.  Not to say he didnt make some mistakes, but I believe the Bills were very close to finally turning things around when Marrone was there...then he got saddled with Rex Ryan, and that blew everything up. Rex wasn't his coaching decision, EJ wasn't his QB pick... had he not been operating as a lame duck in his last draft, the word is out there that he really wanted Mahomes...but McDermott wasn't going for that.  Who knows, it might not have worked out the same for Mahomes if the Bills had drafted him in 2017 (and I am happy with McDermott and Allen), but that could have made things very interesting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Success said:

Making 4 Super Bowls in a row and losing is worse than not making 4 Super Bowls in a row.

I was really young for the superbowls and barely remember them but I do remember being a very proud Bills fan.  Going to 4 straight even though they were losses is a tremendous accomplishment.  I sure wish they had at least got the first one though.

Edited by DallasMac
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

Whaley never had the power that a good GM needs to build a winner.  Not to say he didnt make some mistakes, but I believe the Bills were very close to finally turning things around when Marrone was there...then he got saddled with Rex Ryan, and that blew everything up. Rex wasn't his coaching decision, EJ wasn't his QB pick... had he not been operating as a lame duck in his last draft, the word is out there that he really wanted Mahomes...but McDermott wasn't going for that.  Who knows, it might not have worked out the same for Mahomes if the Bills had drafted him in 2017 (and I am happy with McDermott and Allen), but that could have made things very interesting.

Agree with all of this. The 2014 and 2015 teams were loaded with talent. One more year of Marrone and Schwartz with the addition of Tyrod in 2015 and the drought would have likely ended a couple years earlier. 

The good news is, as loaded as those rosters were in 2014 and 2015, it looks like we are even more loaded now. 

3 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

I was really young for the superb owls and barely remember them but I do remember being a very proud Bills fan.  Going to 4 straight even though they were losses is a tremendous accomplishment.  I sure wish they had at least got the first one though.

same here. was about 6-9 years old for all four of them.  Man, if they got just the first one and still lost the next three in a row they would probably be in the conversation still for one of the greatest dynasties of all time. 

• Like (+1) 2

Terrible hot take: EJ Manuel could have been a good QB. He had all the tools, the right head on his shoulders, over drafted, but the right situation could have developed him properly. He just needed more time and better coaching. Hackett and Marrone were destroying him. 

Thoughts today: He was never going to be good. But was good enough to bounce around as a career back up if he wanted. Marrone didn’t ruin him. But didn’t do him any favors either. EJ is the best QB in his draft class still. I’m not going to hate on taking the best QB in the draft at 16, even though he turned out crappy. You take that shot 100 times out of 100. He only left the league because he wanted to be a starter and he wasn’t, and he got a job in broadcasting. 

Hot take 2: Bills should have hired Schwartz over Rex. 

Thoughts today: Had we done that we would have McD, so I am OK with it. No idea how that would have turned out. But at the time it was still 100% a better decision than Rex Ryan 

Edited by Mango

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yeah, him trading away the farm for Sammy Watkins, especially when we had Manuel as our QB, screams genius.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Present- Trent Murphy is better then people realize. He is not constantly in danger of being cut. He’s a very effective pass rusher when he’s on the field. If he’s healthy, he can help the team. 

Past- Doug a Marone wasn’t a bad coach. Just because he took advantage of an opt out, doesn’t erase the fact that he was part of this teams turn around. From 14’ on, the Bills went from a joke, to respectable. He was a part of that initial step. McDermott is better, no question...but people act like Marone was terrible just because they were pissed at him for leaving

You are wrong on Murphy. But you are right on Doug.

• Like (+1) 2