Car Lots

LewPort71

What are car lots like in your neck of the woods ?
Here in S WV, the  car lots are bereft of new or used vehicles.

I'd guess they have about 50% of the inventory the dealerships normally have.

Any explanations ?

3 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

What are car lots like in your neck of the woods ?
Here in S WV, the  car lots are bereft of new or used vehicles.

I'd guess they have about 50% of the inventory the dealerships normally have.

Any explanations ?

Wall to wall cars, trucks, new and used, here in the Rochester, NY area.  No clue why the disparity with your region.

Edited by Keukasmallies
Added mo' info!

Interesting some of the views here.  My son works for one of the biggest dealer networks in WNY and he says sales is slow as heck.  Plus lease turn-ins are not happening and auctions are either slim or canceled so it is hard to get cars.  And new car availability isn't much better.  Their lots are like 50% full.  Sales are slow, but Service is really busy though.  However business is improving from the early C19 days

Karlos you are right on prices.  Same used car 6 months ago is 25% more today.  Supply & demand

Edited by MarkyMannn

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Used cars are flying off the lots. Very hard to get inventory at the moment. Cars that were 5k in January at auction are 8-10k now. The selection is terrible as well. 

Dumb question but does this result in a big increase in trade-in value?

• Haha (+1) 1

I'll diverge a little bit. Don't mean to hijack, and I think we can comfortably intermingle. How many cars have you had in your life? I'm on #5 and have been driving for 24 years. The first few went pretty quick,  but the last one I had for 10 years and the current one is up to 7. I just hate car payments and the price of vehicles is astounding. A decent truck costs more than a "luxury vehicle" now. 

9 hours ago, teef said:

People like to have sex in cars...so bam!  Car sales are through the roof.  

before anyone questions this, I graduated from Wharton. 

This sounds like logic from Trading Places. That all worked out for Billy Ray and Louis, so I’m buying in! Randolph and Mortimer got what they had coming!

How do I get my 401K into this amazing opportunity to benefit from car sex? 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

If you're just trying to get your 401K into something you may not be making the most of the opportunity.

Some might suggest that if I max out on the 401K opportunity, I can afford far more from the hooker and cocaine menu of life. Just a thought? 

:)

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Dumb question but does this result in a big increase in trade-in value?

I’m not sure tbh. My info comes from a used car lot that doesn’t do trade ins. From what I have saw at auction they start out at similar prices as before covid but the bids just go higher. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

We were looking at getting a newer model Yukon or Suburban since Dec. Preferably a used one. Nothing really in our price range. The only new ones were way over priced. In July we found a dealer with a used 2019 Suburban, former rental. 40k miles on it but well maintained. I asked them about a new one and they said it would have to be a 2021 due to factories being off work and no no 2020_Models like I wanted available. They had bought this one off Enterprise. My trade in was bought by Blue Book and not the dealer. Also major car auctions were shut down at the time. Not a lot of cars available to choose from, but I've driven past several auction places in Florida and they are packed ...  I feel good about the deal I got, think I hit it at the right time...:D 

On 8/21/2020 at 8:16 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'll diverge a little bit. Don't mean to hijack, and I think we can comfortably intermingle. How many cars have you had in your life? I'm on #5 and have been driving for 24 years. The first few went pretty quick,  but the last one I had for 10 years and the current one is up to 7. I just hate car payments and the price of vehicles is astounding. A decent truck costs more than a "luxury vehicle" now. 

I might be way off topic here, but the notion your average consumer has about having to have a new or nearly new car every few years is one of the great con jobs of modern American society.

Cars represent an enormous expense.  They usually represent, by far, the greatest expense your average person has aside from a house or paying for a college education.

And for the most part, it's totally unnecessary, especially now that highly reliable, "modern" cars have been around for 30 years.

The interesting thing is that I am a huge gear head.  I love cars and value them much more greatly than your average person.

But even I have to wonder why so many people--especially the ones that aren't really into cars--incur the enormous costs of new or nearly new car ownership.

And if we are talking about a premium product that is say, $40,000 and up, the whole thing becomes even more insane.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:16 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

6 daily drivers, 1 fun time vehicle, since I bought my first car in summer 1991, so 29 years.

1991 - 1993 - 1980 Buick Century

1992 - 1996 - 1986 Toyota MR2

1996 - 2000 1994 Mercury Tracer

2000 - 2013 1998 Ford Ranger 

2001 - 2003 1988 Toyota MR2 SC

2013 - 2015 - 2012 Toyota Rav4

2015 - present 2015 Toyota Rav4

On 8/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, Just Jack said:

6 daily drivers, 1 fun time vehicle, since I bought my first car in summer 1991, so 29 years.

1991 - 1993 - 1980 Buick Century

1992 - 1996 - 1986 Toyota MR2

1996 - 2000 1994 Mercury Tracer

2000 - 2013 1998 Ford Ranger 

2001 - 2003 1988 Toyota MR2 SC

2013 - 2015 - 2012 Toyota Rav4

2015 - present 2015 Toyota Rav4

1st car in 2005

2005-2007 - 1999 Volvo Station Wagon (Black): burned oil

2007-2010 - @Gugny's favorite: 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan

2010-2012 - Free 1999 Ford Taurus almost poisoned me with a leaky muffler that ate a hole in the trunk and filled car with carbon monoxide

2012-2014 - 2004 Mercedes Benz E320 blew up in my gravel driveway due to tranny fluid leak

2012-2014 - 2009 Pontiac G5 couldn't go a week without an issue

2014-Present - 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Polar Edition, got T-Boned after less than a year of having it

Almost got a Jeep Gladiator but glad we waited on the new Bronco as that is a possibility. Maybe a Bronco Truck

• Haha (+1) 1