Per David Portnoy, Barstool Sports will bid on naming rights for Bills stadium

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Is Portnoy still not the most visible face of the company, as its founder? Whenever Barstool makes the wider news, is it not Portnoy who’s quoted in those stories?

”tokenism” as i used it doesn’t mean I think Nardini is incompetent or unqualified. Not at all. I do think there were strategic motives beyond just her business acumen that Portnoy definitely considered.

Does it get tiring constantly turning other ppl into victims?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Is Portnoy still not the most visible face of the company, as its founder? Whenever Barstool makes the wider news, is it not Portnoy who’s quoted in those stories?

”tokenism” as i used it doesn’t mean I think Nardini is incompetent or unqualified. Not at all. I do think there were strategic motives beyond just her business acumen that Portnoy definitely considered.

This is what I mean by "not paying attention."  Something like 3.5 million people a week listen to just two Barstool podcasts. Those 3.5 million people will never hear Portnoy's voice, nor will they hear his name mentioned (with minor exceptions). If you include Barstool's dozens of other offerings, that number may well jump to 4.5 - 5 million people. 

Sure, the media focuses on Portnoy, as he is a lighting rod and the founder of Barstool. But Portnoy = Barstool only to the media and the people who don't consume the product. 

I guess I will never know their motives. Maybe it was because she was a woman. But reducing her remarkable accomplishments to the reasons she was hired is not good. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is what I mean by "not paying attention."  Something like 3.5 million people a week listen to just two Barstool podcasts. Those 3.5 million people will never hear Portnoy's voice, nor will they hear his name mentioned (with minor exceptions). If you include Barstool's dozens of other offerings, that number may well jump to 4.5 - 5 million people. 

Sure, the media focuses on Portnoy, as he is a lighting rod and the founder of Barstool. But Portnoy = Barstool only to the media and the people who don't consume the product. 

I guess I will never know their motives. Maybe it was because she was a woman. But reducing her remarkable accomplishments to the reasons she was hired is not good. 

i get all that, and would just add this: she’s CEO. The tippy-top. I wish we would hear more from her and not so much from him. But if her role is backroom business deals and that’s it then I guess that’s fine. I am not supporting barstool either way and they’ll never get their name on that stadium anyways so I suppose we’re spinning wheels here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

i get all that, and would just add this: she’s CEO. The tippy-top. I wish we would hear more from her and not so much from him. But if her role is backroom business deals and that’s it then I guess that’s fine. I am not supporting barstool either way and they’ll never get their name on that stadium anyways so I suppose we’re spinning wheels here.

She is wayyyy more popular in Barstool circles than most think.  The news and those that criticize Barstool just don't like to quote her. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

So, if Erie County owns the Bills' stadium...do the Bills have zero say in the naming rights?  So, for instance, as outrageous as it would be, if some company bid to name the stadium "Tom Brady" stadium...and for whatever reason, Erie County approved it, the Bills would just be stuck with that name?  

Again, ridiculous scenario, but I imagine there is a potential for a stadium name that the Bills organization would not like...

I think the County has veto rights, but cannot force a name on the stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I find it funny that the people on here are calling the CEO of a company that makes about $100 million a "token". I assume all of you insinuating anything about her do not know anyone who runs companies that are that successful.

Again you didn’t read my subsequent replies to understand what i meant by that but I’ll just say this - erika nardini getting hired a whole four years ago doesn’t wipe out barstool’s entire past. I get it, people like them. Including athletes like Eric Wood up there. I don’t mind if they make a serious bid for the naming rights, and it isn’t like I am going to boycott if by some miracle they win them. But barstool has said and done some pretty nasty things to many people in the past. If you’re okay with it cool.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm not a fan of barstool, personally. So I hope some other company pops up.

i’ve heard rumors today key bank is looking to snag the stadium rights; they already have the arena so here’s hoping ? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Another PR ploy much like the bidet maker. 

Don’t have anywhere near the advertising budget to afford this!

Im not a huge Portnoy fan, but they were just valued at nearly a half a Billion dollars. All they do is advertise. Their content is just advertisement. They have the $5 mil. 

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Let me start by saying Portnoy is a frat bro prick. Barstool is a weird case study. I think you’re both close. Portnoy is most definitely Barstool. I don’t think you can argue that. He puts all those pieces in place. He identifies and brings in talent. I think it’s important to acknowledge that. His current title is chief of content. I think he has his hands all over everything. Barstool is his baby. It would sort of be like if you said Howard Stern had nothing to do with Bubba the love sponge years back. Or Dave Thomas. Howard identified them and chose them to provide content on his channel. Does he “manage” their shows, maybe some mild oversite and listens a lot. Steps in when needed. But largely not. But they still fall under his brand. He still gets them their paycheck because he chose them to do that specific job. Barstool is gigantic, so I don’t think they’d fail by any means, but cutting Portnoy would be cutting of your nose to spite your face. Terrible idea and would be tough to fully recover from.  

Regarding  Nardini. Cherin absolutely knew when they bought controlling shares for barstool that they needed somebody to control the barn if they were going to increase their valuation from the $15M. They also knew that Portnoy and Co. at the time had a history of misogyny. It’s not a coincidence they hired a woman. She’s also done a tremendous job. In some ways, barstool has gotten a little softer. Portnoy is still the ring leader of the wack pack that he created. And Nardini has recently increased the valuation of barstool from $15M to $450M. 

Worth noting that between Nardini, Portnoy, and other employees, they actually only own a combined 28% of the company. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Let me start by saying Portnoy is a frat bro prick.

Regarding  Nardini. Cherin absolutely knew when they bought controlling shares for barstool that they needed somebody to control the barn if they were going to increase their valuation from the $15M. They also knew that Portnoy and Co. at the time had a history of misogyny. It’s not a coincidence they hired a woman. She’s also done a tremendous job. In some ways, barstool has gotten a little softer. Portnoy is still the ring leader of the wack pack that he created. And Nardini has recently increased the valuation of barstool from $15M to $450M. 

thank you. That’s all I was trying to say regarding Nardini, albeit in an inelegant way. But you spelled it out clearly ? 

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

thank you. That’s all I was trying to say regarding Nardini, albeit in an inelegant way. But you spelled it out clearly ? 

Bad choice of words I think. She is much more than a token. It took 13 years to get to barstool to a 15M valuation with Dave at the helm. It took Nardini 3 years to grow 30x. And most likely would not have become a bit softer on women with woman specific content if not for her and Cherin. 

I would argue that today’s Barstool is closer to Dave’s image than it was 10 years ago. The rest is just press and marketing so that he can push gambling. He’s pretty open about that being the whole reason he started the thing. Now with sports betting crossing state lines, he can bring everything back to that. I wouldn’t be shocked if he started sponsoring a weekend of racing in Saratoga (or wherever) rather than just showing up to spend money. Traverse Weekend by Barstool. And the entire thing is just content pushing online gambling, hard seltzer, whatever. Maybe some premium paid content where he runs through his next days picks. Especially given the loss of revenue from Covid for cities not allowing people at the track. Somebody might bite next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Let me start by saying Portnoy is a frat bro prick. Barstool is a weird case study. I think you’re both close. Portnoy is most definitely Barstool. I don’t think you can argue that. He puts all those pieces in place. He identifies and brings in talent. I think it’s important to acknowledge that. His current title is chief of content. I think he has his hands all over everything. Barstool is his baby. It would sort of be like if you said Howard Stern had nothing to do with Bubba the love sponge years back. Or Dave Thomas. Howard identified them and chose them to provide content on his channel. Does he “manage” their shows, maybe some mild oversite and listens a lot. Steps in when needed. But largely not. But they still fall under his brand. He still gets them their paycheck because he chose them to do that specific job. Barstool is gigantic, so I don’t think they’d fail by any means, but cutting Portnoy would be cutting of your nose to spite your face. Terrible idea and would be tough to fully recover from.  

Worth noting that between Nardini, Portnoy, and other employees, they actually only own a combined 28% of the company. 

I don't really know the Howard Stern example. You may be right. But I can say that the bolded are not true. Portnoy doesn't listen to any of the podcasts, nor does he oversee them. 

Importantly, their two biggest shows--PMT and Call Her Daddy--are totally independent form Portnoy. Big Cat has an ownership interest in Barstool, and if Portnoy told him to do something different, he wouldn't. That is less true for Call Her Daddy, which just had a pretty major contract dispute. But outside of the contract negotiations, Portnoy does not affect their content. Portnoy is involved in a bunch of their other offerings, but those aren't what make Barstool so popular.  This is why I say Barstool =/= Portnoy. Take away those two shows and Barstool is a shadow of what it is today.