Dolphins expected to go with Fitzpatrick as the starter

Greg S

Utah, you’re trying to insert common sense into a silly debate.  I am curious to see how Darnold, Allen, and Tua play this year.  Does Allen and Darnold continue to progress in year 3?  Does Cam fall apart by the end of the year or do we buy into the media hype he is the next coming?  Does Tua come out after Fitz, and you know he will throw 4 picks in the Seattle or 49ers game, and he comes out healthy accurate and give Fins fans some hope, or is he seriously hurt by not having the off season training?

It will be an interesting year for sure.  I just want to see a full season, healthy Bills team, and our team moves significantly forward.

H2O, that is probably right, but teams just never do that anymore.  You’re inserting common sense again darn it.  ?. I doubt he will even last this long, but even Reed put Mahomes in before the end of the first year.  It’s not like Fitz is Favre having the fortune to let Rodgers is for a couple of years.  Where I agree with you completely are teams like LA Chargers, current draft pick for the Packers wait for one or even two years.

22 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Fitz has had himself an incredible career.

Honestly, he really has.  

He’s the definition of a grinder, he’s been all over the league, actually holds some real NFL records, never was elite physically, but has managed to play at very high levels.  Of course he has had the lows of not being physically gifted as the greats, but he’s still arguably one of the top 20 QBs in the league and has always been right there.  He’s just too good to be a back up (for long) and not quite good enough that you want him to be the long term solution.  He happens to be the guy that didn’t take long term deals (outside of Buffalo) and has moved around a lot and has done amazingly well in a multitude of systems.   If you look back at all the younger guys who were high draft picks, he unseated and thrived in their place, it’s crazy. 

He will always be one of my favorite players, just a genuinely good guy, one heck of a sense of humor, gets through with hard work, brains, and sheer determination.  How many player, QBs especially can you say have played for 8 teams, over 14 years and still is relevant?  It’s unreal.

Think of how many guys have come and gone in the NFL and here’s a 7th round pick who accumulated:

32k passing yards

210 touchdowns

60+% completion percentage 

81.6 QB rating

It’s not a HOF career, but if you get that out of a number 1 overall pick, you got it “right”.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Honestly, he really has.  

He’s the definition of a grinder, he’s been all over the league, actually holds some real NFL records, never was elite physically, but has managed to play at very high levels.  Of course he has had the lows of not being physically gifted as the greats, but he’s still arguably one of the top 20 QBs in the league and has always been right there.  He’s just too good to be a back up (for long) and not quite good enough that you want him to be the long term solution.  He happens to be the guy that didn’t take long term deals (outside of Buffalo) and has moved around a lot and has done amazingly well in a multitude of systems.   If you look back at all the younger guys who were high draft picks, he unseated and thrived in their place, it’s crazy. 

He will always be one of my favorite players, just a genuinely good guy, one heck of a sense of humor, gets through with hard work, brains, and sheer determination.  How many player, QBs especially can you say have played for 8 teams, over 14 years and still is relevant?  It’s unreal.

Think of how many guys have come and gone in the NFL and here’s a 7th round pick who accumulated:

32k passing yards

210 touchdowns

60+% completion percentage 

81.6 QB rating

It’s not a HOF career, but if you get that out of a number 1 overall pick, you got it “right”.

The scary thing is, his career stats minus wins and losses, are pretty similar to Jim's.

11 minutes ago, BidsJr said:

The scary thing is, his career stats minus wins and losses, are pretty similar to Jim's.

That’s kind of my point.  If I just show you the raw stats, and we attribute the wins and losses to more than a QB, which seems pretty reasonable to do, Fitz has had a really good career.  

In fairness, Jim played in an era that wasn’t as pass happy, so the stats are skewed some and Jim played in Buffalo where we know at least 3-4 games a season are extremely difficult to pass in, where as Fitz hasn’t had those circumstances his whole career.  On the other side, Fitz hasn’t had HOF talent all around him like Jim did, either.  

By no stretch is Fitz a comparable player to Jim Kelly, but I do think if Fitz had been a QB in that era, he would be looked upon as a better QB than he has been in these times and probably would have been considered close to a “franchise QB”.  His brains and crazy plays, coupled with a road grading running game and a lower scoring league, he could absolutely look the part.  I would argue he was/is better than Phil Simms, and many other guys that were considered greats because of the team around them.  He would have fit well in that era.  It would have been really interesting to see him on one of the great teams like the 49ers, with that west coast system, he plays a lot like Young did, or the Cowboys with Emmitt, Moose, Ervin and that great line, even Buffalo with Reed, Lofton, Thurman, etc.   He’s never had a whole team to work with.   If you look at the “great” QBs, they all have HOF talent around them to thrive.   While it’s absolutely true they play a part in making the other guys HOF players, there’s still a huge difference between Josh Reed and Andre Reed.  

He did become the first passer with 400 yards in (3?) straight games when he had good talent and a favorable system around him with the Bucs, imagine if that team had any balance and Winston wasn’t there as the guy they took #1 overall.  That could have been pretty epic.  Watch for a shell of Tom Brady to have a lot of big games there too.

13 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I'm hoping fitz has another few years in him so that he can get close to top 20 all time passing tds and yards.

And then have an incredible conversation if he is a hall of famer ha

He is already in the HOF, sort of.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/02/ryan-fitzpatricks-bucs-nfl-hall-of-fame/

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

Chan Gailey evidently was counting on Fitz to help install the Miami Offense.

Now he's out for who knows how long.

Chan Gailey expresses early concern about development of Dolphins’ offense

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-offensive-coaches-20200820-u7pvatox7vclbdpfuq336bnsbi-story.html

On 8/20/2020 at 7:14 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ahh yes, another gem from the guy who lets people consistently fart in his face and tells them how good it smells.  

I know you are obsessed with me (you’re not the first and won’t be the last), but you can’t even debate the point.  Who had the best qb rating in the division?  Who did this on a team that actively traded their best players away?  Who took a bust 1st round pick and made him a 1,200 yard receiver? Who set a nfl record for most consecutive 400 yards passing games? 

also get a dictionary and look up the word currently.  It could change but you are the most sensitive human being on earth.  Josh Allen isn’t going to sleep with you bro.

That’s insane.  Fitz is a top 20 qb in the league.  He would beat out a lot of young guys.  Also, Tua isn’t coming off a major injury.  Why force playing him right away?  They aren’t winning the SB this year.  

more qbs are ruined than developed.

So Brian Hoyer is the best QB in the division. Got it.

14 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I'm hoping fitz has another few years in him so that he can get close to top 20 all time passing tds and yards.

And then have an incredible conversation if he is a hall of famer ha

There's already a bust of Fitz in the Hall of Fame of my ❤️.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

I'm laughing on the inside -- not because I put a lot of credence in training camp "stats" but because I know how this board would be imploding if that was us...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1