Training Camp 8/20 - live hitting in Bills Stadium

YoloinOhio

I like that our offense is facing a defense like ours in practice. Our defense is easily top 3 in the league. Josh is gonna have some rough days, but it will make him better for it in the end. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It feels to me like we will be looking at Phillips, Oliver, and Epenesa as the bedrock of our (very good/elite) Defensive Line going forward by the midpoint of this season. 

Gabe Davis is super exciting to me. To be that big and physical while still having some speed, plus I love that we don't "need" him right now. Let the kid grow and learn from some great teachers and contribute as he can. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 7

29 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It's always interesting to me how multiple reporters can watch the same day of practice from Allen and walk away with two different stories. 

Yes, Thad brown always seems to default to more negative on Josh

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gabe Davis beating Tre and flashing speed is really interesting. I think  he could be a 4th rd steal. And the fact he’s been playing all over makes him versatile to play outside or inside or even the Isaiah mckenzie role. Also, I wonder if it’s that out of the question that Davis Webb wins the backup job. 

Not arguing with you but any positive mention of any player taken in rounds 3-5 during training camps gives fans hope that they got a steal :)

And then some of them realize that they are Jets fans and drafted Jachai Polite :)

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It's always interesting to me how multiple reporters can watch the same day of practice from Allen and walk away with two different stories. 

It’s the same as  watching SAME protests  on CNN flowers and unicorns everywhere and then switch to FOX and the city is on fire and bombs exploding everywhere !!!

GO BILLS !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Haha (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If there are two reports, and Thad Brown is reporting one then I'm more inclined to believe the other reporter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Putin said:

It’s the same as  watching SAME protests  on CNN flowers and unicorns everywhere and then switch to FOX and the city is on fire and bombs exploding everywhere !!!

GO BILLS !!!

Meh, that's more a matter of specifically deceptive reporting to fit the narrative they want to drive. 

This is, I think, more just an example of people wearing a certain set of glasses as they watch practice. Either the "Pro-josh" glasses, or the "Josh sucks" glasses. What I've found in the media, and somewhat around here as well, is that those who are in the positive side of things are more likely to acknowledge the middle ground such as "Josh had some nice plays yesterday, but he really struggled here and here and I hope he works on this. I'm confident he'll continue to grow." versus those on the negative side who seem to really struggle to acknowledge any good without draping it in disclaimers and negativity such as "While Allen's touchdown pass on 3rd down was a nice throw, he completely missed a window to John Brown on second down which is really indicative of the fact that he's still not seeing the field like an starting NFL quarterback should. Im not encouraged by his performance."

1 minute ago, Clyde Smith said:

If there are two reports, and Thad Brown is reporting one then I'm more inclined to believe the other reporter. 

If there's one reporter and Thad is that reporter, I'm still more likely to believe the other reporter. At least when it comes to Josh. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Meh, that's more a matter of specifically deceptive reporting to fit the narrative they want to drive. 

This is, I think, more just an example of people wearing a certain set of glasses as they watch practice. Either the "Pro-josh" glasses, or the "Josh sucks" glasses. What I've found in the media, and somewhat around here as well, is that those who are in the positive side of things are more likely to acknowledge the middle ground such as "Josh had some nice plays yesterday, but he really struggled here and here and I hope he works on this. I'm confident he'll continue to grow." versus those on the negative side who seem to really struggle to acknowledge any good without draping it in disclaimers and negativity such as "While Allen's touchdown pass on 3rd down was a nice throw, he completely missed a window to John Brown on second down which is really indicative of the fact that he's still not seeing the field like an starting NFL quarterback should. Im not encouraged by his performance."

If there's one reporter and Thad is that reporter, I'm still more likely to believe the other reporter. At least when it comes to Josh. 

Totally agree lol

I dont think people realize how a kicker actually changes the offense in certain situations. 

Take Hauschka last year. Mcdermott and Daboll know that they need to get the ball to at least the 35 for Hauschka to even have a chance to kick it and hence if the ball is at the 50 Daboll needs to be aggressive to put the ball in kicking range. 

So many times we wouldn't move the ball and instead have to punt because we didn't execute the aggressive play. 

With Bass, we only need to get the ball to the 40 and he can kick it. It means the offense doesn't have to be as aggressive on 3rd down and we can focus on picking up a couple yards instead of going for about 15. 

Plus the Bills offense simply doesn't score many TD's. We need every chance we can to put up 3. 

A bit rambling but I hopefully others understand that. 

I'll be shocked if Bass isn't on the team..

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, DJB said:

I dont think people realize how a kicker actually changes the offense in certain situations. 

Take Hauschka last year. Mcdermott and Daboll know that they need to get the ball to at least the 40 for Hauschka to even have a chance to kick it and hence if the ball is at the 50 Daboll needs to be aggressive to put the ball in kicking range. 

So many times we wouldn't move the ball and instead have to punt because we didn't execute the aggressive play. 

With Bass, we only need to get the ball to the 45 and he can kick it. It means the offense doesn't have to be as aggressive on 3rd down and we can focus on picking up a couple yards instead of going for about 10. 

Plus the Bills offense simply doesn't score many TD's. We need every chance we can to put up 3. 

The 40 means a 57 yd kick and 45 means 62 yarder. Are you sure that's what you mean?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

Take Hauschka last year. Mcdermott and Daboll know that they need to get the ball to at least the 40 for Hauschka to even have a chance to kick it and hence if the ball is at the 50 Daboll needs to be aggressive to put the ball in kicking range. 

With Bass, we only need to get the ball to the 45 and he can kick it. It means the offense doesn't have to be as aggressive on 3rd down and we can focus on picking up a couple yards instead of going for about 10. 

I have a feeling this offense is going to be much more aggressive this year, which in a different way, lends itself to Bass.  If we have a kicker who can strike from almost anywhere in 35-38 yard line range, we can take shots and not worry about FG positioning.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1