Why is this considered a "Make or Break, No Excuses" season for Josh?

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills are pretty similar to last year except for Diggs. The oline is still below average, in my opinion.

Now, maybe Diggs makes the huge difference that we all hope he does. That's totally possible and maybe even likely. But people are saying the Bills now have loads of talent around Allen on offense and really what they mean is we now have Diggs. That's the only difference.

I expect that our offense will still have growing pains. And I'm not convinced Daboll is that good of an OC yet, anyways. The jury is still out on him.

Can our offense be really good with basically only one different player? I guess we'll see.

Offense will never be perfect it's up to him to take it to the next level. HUGE DIFFERENCE with Diggs.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Moss instead of Gore is significant.  Diggs as WR#1 is huge and will open up the field for Brown and Beasley.  Returning all nearly all of last year's starters (or upgrading positions) for another year in the same system is also huge.  This offense has huge potential but ultimately it will go as far as Allen can take it.

Moss is a rookie. I don't like to assume that rookies will be major contributors. But he may. I expect him to be better than Gore.

Another year in the system is only good if Daboll is actually a good coordinator. I guess we'll see.

FYI I do expect the Bills to be better on offense. But I don't expect them to suddenly be a top 10 offense. I think they need a better offensive line and obviously Josh needs to get better too. I don't expect him to turn into Joe Montana over night. I expect him to make steady improvement, though.

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills are pretty similar to last year except for Diggs. The oline is still below average, in my opinion.

Now, maybe Diggs makes the huge difference that we all hope he does. That's totally possible and maybe even likely. But people are saying the Bills now have loads of talent around Allen on offense and really what they mean is we now have Diggs. That's the only difference.

I expect that our offense will still have growing pains. And I'm not convinced Daboll is that good of an OC yet, anyways. The jury is still out on him.

Can our offense be really good with basically only one different player? I guess we'll see.

Without doubt, if he can’t hit 69% of his passes, he definitely needs to go.  

he’s not terrible, has a lot of upside but I’ve never heard a higher drafted player have more excuses made for him.  He is in his 3rd year in the system with a defense that carries the team.  This isn’t the 80s when receivers could get murdered running routes.  It’s the easiest time to play qb in the history of the nfl.  There is zero excuse to average less than 200 yards passing.  

bills fans have the worst standards for offensive play.  we had to score more than 16 points: game last year to win.  Such a low freakin bar.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Watson is no worse than the 3rd best QB in the conference. Putting him in the same group as the others is silly.

Watson also has (2) first rd. playoff exits, (should be 3?) and choked away a 24 point lead on the way to a 51-31 drubbing.

He's a great regular season QB. You want to blame his playoff games on coaching or defensive short comings? Go ahead. You can use the same train of thought on Josh's playoff game as well

To me he's not elite, yet. He is uber talented but hasn't won anything but a game Buffalo choked away. And no, I don't dislike him. If he and Josh were in the same draft and both on the board I'd pick Watson without blinking. But for the forseeable future Josh is my guy!!

Josh just needs to keep making progress. He doesn’t need to cement his first ballot HOF status this year. Plenty of great QB’s with better “pedigrees” and training took a few years. Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning took time after coming out of major programs.

Josh was a project and as long as he keeps showing improvement on the field I’m all in. His intangibles are off the charts. I like our odds. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It is in the sense that following year 3 the ownership has to consider whether they are going to make the big investment or not.

This.  The same goes for Mayfield and Darnold, although Darnold has it much tougher.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Moss instead of Gore is significant.  Diggs as WR#1 is huge and will open up the field for Brown and Beasley.  Returning all nearly all of last year's starters (or upgrading positions) for another year in the same system is also huge.  This offense has huge potential but ultimately it will go as far as Allen can take it.

And there’s no way our line is below average.

basically he was wrong on everything

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its make or break in the sense that he needs to improve on all the usual parameters that a QB gets measured by. But being that his performance is dependent on his teammates performances, One needs to be able to discern cause and effect so to speak. Imo if Josh leads the team to the playoffs again he will be the starter next year, if Josh leads the team to a division title and the playoffs, he is golden, add in a Playoff game win and he gets serious attention for a really big contract. Pretty much in that order, jmo...

Go Bills!!!

If Josh doesn't take a really big step this year, odds are he never will and he'll be the next JP Losman. I haven't heard a lot of people say that this is a make or break year for any of those guys and I doubt many are saying that about Watson. With all due respect, I think you are overly sensitive to any criticism of Allen.

At the risk of sounding like a cranky old guy please remember than Kelly SUCKED THE BIG ONE his first three years as a Bill and that was after a hugely successful career in the USFL AND a Miami U stint too.

All this CRAZY talk to JA needing to be Super Bowl ready in 4-5 years is just that....CRAZY TALK!  Get some perspective here!!!!

Sheesh!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Baker Mayfield has accomplished nothing in the same amount of time with significantly more talent.

Darnold has accomplished less than nothing in the same amount of time.

Jackson has an MVP to his name but also has (2) first rd. playoff exits with an uber talented roster.

Watson also has (2) first rd. playoff exits, (should be 3?) and choked away a 24 point lead on the way to a 51-31 drubbing.

Nobody is talking about these guys in a make or break scenario. Shoot, Watson will be one of the highest paid QBs pretty soon.

I expect Josh to make a significant step forward with the talent surrounding him but in no way do I expect him to be shown the door if it doesn't happen. He's already accomplished  more than the (2) "Pro ready" QBs drafted before him. Seems like everyone is so hell bent on seeing him fail to protect the consensus predraft opinion that he would never be an accurate and caliber franchise QB. Yet nobody is defecating on Lamar when many thought he was a RB/WR gadget player.

What say you? Thoughts? In your opinion is it truly make or break for Josh this year?

I agree completely. There are a lot of delusioned folks who post here that like to pretend they have a clue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m an Allen fan... but in my opinion, I think this is a very important year for him. We’ve seen him out the team on his back with his playmaking abilities.. but I want to see him win big games with his arm. I want to see more passing consistently, and I want to see much better accuracy on the deep ball. With the weapons he has now, the hope is that he can separate himself from the pack in a good way this year. 

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

No, this is the make or break because you have to choose that 5th year option or not before the start of next season.  That 5th year option will be guaranteeing him $30+M for year 5.  So do it or don’t do it, but this is the year you have to see big steps in his overall game so you can choose to commit to him or look to move on after year 4.

He'd have to be a disaster this year for them to forgo the 5th year option.  And while yes, they'd need to commit to the expensive 5th year, that's a heck of a lot different than committing to $35mm a year for 6 years or whatever he'll cost if he re-ups.

Couldn’t disagree more OP. Darnold has immense pressure on him from fans AND media (come over to jets board and follow our beat writers on twitter, you’ll see). And he has a high school team surrounding him with a lunatic head coach. Josh Allen is, by far, in the best situation. It’s not unreasonable to expect him to deliver. It is unreasonable to expect Darnold to carry the Jets yet THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT’S EXPECTED OF HIM. 

I’d say it’s year 3 for these guys, they have to show, at minimum, solid growth and ability to lead a team to the playoffs consistently. That’s what’s expected. Not saying that’s a playoffs/Super Bowl mandate or bust, just saying you can’t leave this season with massive question marks about these guys.

32 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

If Josh doesn't take a really big step this year, odds are he never will and he'll be the next JP Losman. I haven't heard a lot of people say that this is a make or break year for any of those guys and I doubt many are saying that about Watson. With all due respect, I think you are overly sensitive to any criticism of Allen.

No one is saying that about Watson.  Darnold and Mayfield, while no one may be saying it, are facing make or break years, although Darnold may be given a mulligan because of the state of the team.

Edited by Doc