DVR Players

Another Fan

It's really kind of interesting, but I guess you can't go to Best Buy and purchase a DVR that you own, can you?

That's nuts.  It's like a scam being run by the cable companies, making you "rent" their device.

We should all know how to go buy a $79 DVR that has a monster hard drive space on it, be able to bring it home, and plug it into our cable box, and record whatever we want forever before needing to delete to save space.  

And it should be able to record 10 channels at once, if you want.

Is that so difficult to engineer?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's really kind of interesting, but I guess you can't go to Best Buy and purchase a DVR that you own, can you?

That's nuts.  It's like a scam being run by the cable companies, making you "rent" their device.

We should all know how to go buy a $79 DVR that has a monster hard drive space on it, be able to bring it home, and plug it into our cable box, and record whatever we want forever before needing to delete to save space.  

And it should be able to record 10 channels at once, if you want.

Is that so difficult to engineer?

You can go buy a TiVo or whatever other brand DVR but they charge you a monthly fee, and that’s on top of the $200-300 the DVR itself costs. Iirc TiVo was going to be like $15 a month.

I was fully intending on buying a TiVo to get rid of the monthly DVR fee from cable. Then I learned they charge the same monthly fee cable does so I didn’t see any point. At least with the cable company when the DVR inevitably takes a crap I can swap it for free. 

I agree 100%. I wish someone offered a product like that. I’d love to figure out a way to use a DVR without a monthly fee.