DVR Players

Another Fan

10 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I'm a bit old school/outdated when it comes to electronics.  

If I wanted to be able to DVR shows on my TV what would be the best way?  A DVR player.  Or just get a new TV with it included?  My TV is already 10 years old.

thanks 

DVR is a service from your cable provider; it's not a feature on televisions.

DVR is a separate service. I am unaware of any free DVR services. You either pay the monthly fee to get it from your cable provider or you pay the monthly fee for something like TiVo. Not sure if there’s an additional fee for it from satellite tv? 

We actually have a never used DVR/Tape player in box never used.  We bought two at a bankruptcy sale.

My wife said eventually stores will stop selling them and if current one breaks will not be easily replaced. 

I know my daughter occasionally watches an old animated film on VHS.

We used to tape shows before local cable companies went all digital and you needed to rent their box to record.  

That is when I basically stopped watching TV since my schedule and TV shows I watched rarely lined up.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I would ask what you want to DVR.  If it's certain shows that you can get on Hulu or Netflix, I recommend them as well.

Better Call Saul specifically is what came to mind.  The 5th season isn't available on Netflix.  My friend told me to DVR it when it AMC was doing a marathon of it.  It just occurred to me know why she told me that.

But I thought it was fairly common in general?  

There are a couple products (and TVs) that allow you to DVR programs broadcast over-air/antenna for free (no monthly fees).

Like this, for ex:

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Recast-over-the-air-DVR-500GB-75-hours/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=asc_df_B01J6A6H74/

or a TV with “live pause” capability, but again it’s only for over-air channels, not cable.

https://support.tclusa.com/rokutv-faqs/209528-what-is-live-tv-pause

But otherwise any DVR service is going to have a monthly fee, unless maybe you get it included in your Tv package as part of a promotion for new customers (where are the promotions for existing customers?! Pet peeve of mine). 

IIRC I want to say I pay something like $20 or $25 a month for my DVR service, plus another $12.99 for the digital box. 

9 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

After the internet and the smartphone, I believe DVR has been the greatest invention of our lifetimes. Never miss a Bills’ game. 

Totally agree!   If you watch regular weekly shows on tv they are great.  You just record it and start watching it about 20 minutes after it starts airing on tv and you can just fast forward all the commercials and save hours of time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

After the internet and the smartphone, I believe DVR has been the greatest invention of our lifetimes. Never miss a Bills’ game. 

Agreed. I also DVR the Bills game and start watching about 15 minutes after it has started. That allows me to FF through all of the commercials up to halftime. I do the same for the start of the 2nd half. By the time the fourth quarter ends I'm back to real time and have watched the whole game without commercials.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DQW87 said:

Totally agree!   If you watch regular weekly shows on tv they are great.  You just record it and start watching it about 20 minutes after it starts airing on tv and you can just fast forward all the commercials and save hours of time.

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Agreed. I also DVR the Bills game and start watching about 15 minutes after it has started. That allows me to FF through all of the commercials up to halftime. I do the same for the start of the 2nd half. By the time the fourth quarter ends I'm back to real time and have watched the whole game without commercials.

The best is actually watching college Bball games. I watch Syracuse B-ball games after the fact and with the FF’ding, I can watch a game in like 30 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any luck with Spectrum DVR Cloud? I mostly just want to watch Bills games when it is convenient for me, and sometimes go back and watch a game more than once.

I have the Spectrum App on my Roku, but was wondering about DVR Cloud - another $5 a month for cheapest version.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I do that now for all live sports events on TV, always.  

I can't imagine sitting through commercials, halftime/between period segments, etc.

The stoppages in NFL games now are so bad it is like you are watching a 3 hour commercial briefly interrupted at times by a football game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/8/2020 at 6:07 PM, rockpile said:

Anyone have any luck with Spectrum DVR Cloud? I mostly just want to watch Bills games when it is convenient for me, and sometimes go back and watch a game more than once.

I have the Spectrum App on my Roku, but was wondering about DVR Cloud - another $5 a month for cheapest version.

I didn’t even know that existed! I may have to try it out. Thanks!