Spencer Long retires three days after signing with 49ers

Logic

4 minutes ago, eball said:

But Beane was sleeping and should have gotten a draft pick!

Beane 1, know-it-all fans 0. 

Like I said before, there are things you can criticize Beane over, but getting picks for players isn't one of them.  If he can, he will.

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty awesome timing Beanester! 

Or, maybe he took the post-deadline CoronaVirus opt-out.  As PFT has been openly encouraging players to do for a couple weeks.

Maybe next year when he's looking for a team, its better to say "i quit for health reasons" than "i was fired."

Or, maybe (small chance) that he got to SF, saw their Virus protocols in action, and said "aw hail naw"

Edited by maddenboy

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Bit of a leap there.

Not really.  Retiring is a pretty big decision that one doesn't arrive at quickly.  And often-times quietly.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

Very likely that his position coach picked up on his level of commitment to football - or lack thereof - throughout the offseason and early TC and when Winters entered the FA market, he told mcd and beane to please swap out those two based on what he saw 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Very likely that his position coach picked up on his level of commitment to football - or lack thereof - throughout the offseason and early TC and when Winters entered the FA market, he told mcd and beane to please swap out those two based on what he saw 

Could have been anyone from a coach or another O-lineman.  Hell Long might have even told them he was considering it so they decided to cut bait.  There were other candidates for release and they easily could have afforded to keep him on the roster cap-wise.

It could also be that he was still playing because he liked the culture, locker room, and coaches in Buffalo.  Maybe when he got to San Fran and got a sense of the team he realized that he wasn't going to enjoy it as much as he had in Buffalo. He probably already has more than enough money to retire comfortably (the Jets gave him a big contract when he left the Washington Football Team) and simply decided to call it a day.

Either way, he is a part of the Bills' family now and I wish him all the best in retirement.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9