'Caught in the middle': Coaches are at higher risk in pandemic but not opting out

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29651962/caught-middle-coaches-higher-risk-pandemic-not-opting-out

To date, at least nine NFL coaches have tested positive for COVID-19, according to a source familiar with the situation. Eight of those cases have occurred since June 17. The exception is New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton, who announced he had the coronavirus in March. Los Angeles Chargers coach Anthony Lynn told his players by Zoom recently that he had contracted the virus -- a moment that served as the opening for this season of HBO's "Hard Knocks." Lynn, Payton and Pederson are the only coaches whose positive tests have been reported publicly to date.

There are 102 team staffers across the league with known positives since June.

That is compared to 107 players this offseason -- 64 which have occurred since reporting for training camp -- who have tested positive for COVID-19.

The NFL does not have an opt-out policy for coaches. It is left up to individual teams to handle. NFL Nation reached out to all 32 teams to inquire about opt-out options for coaches. While some teams said they would be open to accommodating coaches who did not feel comfortable being in the workplace this year, none offered evidence of having a policy in place. A prominent coaching agent, when asked if he had heard of any team offering coaching opt-outs, responded, "Not a one."

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

A viable vaccine will not be around until AFTER the season is over at best.  Hanging your hat on that vaccine availability will leave you wanting.....

Hope you are not getting that info from Fauci who has been wrong about almost everything.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Kwai is right.  I’ve tried to help and explain the process as I’m in the medical field and been involved with fda approval for over 20 years.  I’m not going to bore you with details, but there won’t be a vaccine commercially available until maybe the summer of 2021.  Send me a pm as I don’t want to bore everyone, but happy to give you why if you’re interested in the process.  If not, I understand, but my info. Is not coming from Fauci.  It comes from experience.

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Kwai is right.  I’ve tried to help and explain the process as I’m in the medical field and been involved with fda approval for over 20 years.  I’m not going to bore you with details, but there won’t be a vaccine commercially available until maybe the summer of 2021.  Send me a pm as I don’t want to bore everyone, but happy to give you why if you’re interested in the process.  If not, I understand, but my info. Is not coming from Fauci.  It comes from experience.

Yep.  Seven months in and they don't even have a reliable test yet.  Imagine what that says about how close we are to having a safe and effective vaccine.  Time to move on with life... 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they know that if they opt out, the owner will be looking for an excuse to fire them. They will never say it's because they opted out, but unless you wear SB rings to work. you would be headed for the door before too long, like at the end of your current contract.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, Kwai San said:

A viable vaccine will not be around until AFTER the season is over at best.  Hanging your hat on that vaccine availability will leave you wanting.....

agree.  I cringe every time someone brings up the “we won’t really get back to normal until there’s a vaccine available trope.   What if that takes 2-3 years?

• Like (+1) 1