Drinkers, need your input

The Poojer

I think I understand what you're getting it. First, you may simply just acquired a higher tolerance over the years. It effects everyone differently. With steady drinking, sometimes you can fall over the edge into sloppiness out of nowhere. Depends on so many variables. 

I will say that if your friends behavior when they're pounding drinks bothers you, then you may have evolved passed that. I know one guy who turns into an emotional 15 year old when he gets a buzz on. "Whooaz" this and "B*tches" that. He's 49 too. Has patio furniture as well lol. 

Don't overthink it. Change your scene if you feel the need or simply adjust as you go. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Cheers!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, NoSaint said:

Are you drunk now?

I'm only 1.5 Commodore Perry's in, so not yet.......and thanks for asking! If this were Hammer's, @plenzmd1 would already be spinning off my thermos of Manhattan.

@The Poojer, I'm in the same boat. I host trivia once a week and do enjoy drinks during, but watching others around during the game is sometimes horrifying......considering I have to keep everyone moving and in line. 

I'm actually doing in-person therapy and really working to move the daydrinking to the evenings. I'm not proud but I'm trying.

• Like (+1) 1

I've switched to low ABV, low carb IPAs.  Don't know availability in your area, but these are my favorites:

Lagunitas DayTime: https://lagunitas.com/beer/daytime

Oskar Blues One-y: https://www.oskarblues.com/beer/one-y/

Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty: https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/slightly-mighty

Founders All Day IPA: https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/all-day-ipa/

17 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

My bet is that you’re self regulating your intake better than many others.  That’s usually pretty easy to do with beer if that’s your inclination.  Maybe do an experiment and stay totally sober next time and see what you think of everyone’s behavior.  Pretend to be drinking or just make up some reason you can’t that one time. 

I don't know why, but the above really does work.

I am quite able to handle beer without getting stupid. I do not drink huge amounts at all, but I did what you suggested twice. I went to 2 weddings and was 100% alcohol free. I was observing others and thought that they were making fools of themselves. The next wedding, I drank 2 beers and did not notice anything weird at all. Keep in mind that I am not intox at all after 2 beers (unless they were the super strong 9% IPS, which I would never drink).

My point is that just a small amount of alcohol can make the behavior of others seem much more normal, or so I see it.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I don't need to be preached to, I know I probably drink more than is healthy.  I'm really just trying to figure out my interactions with others which very well could be 100% on me.  I just find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who feels this way.  I feel like I'm the one that smooths things over so everyone can interact.  Trust me, I completely understand that it might be me and my drinking habits. But somehow I'm able to disassociate myself to think I'm looking at others.  This could very well be me trying to rationalize my existence

If your drunk friends are annoying you, the simple solution is to get on their level.  Being around people who are blasted while you're relatively sober is awful. 

4 beers in a day isn't cutting it. 

Those are rookie numbers template : InsiderMemeTrading

• Haha (+1) 5

48 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I've switched to low ABV, low carb IPAs.  Don't know availability in your area, but these are my favorites:

Lagunitas DayTime: https://lagunitas.com/beer/daytime

Oskar Blues One-y: https://www.oskarblues.com/beer/one-y/

Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty: https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/slightly-mighty

Founders All Day IPA: https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/all-day-ipa/

I haven't had an IPA in months.  I switched to hard seltzers for the (much) lower carbs.  I used to split between IPAs and Labatt Lights.  Now I hardly even drink the Labatts.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Captain Dan suffered from the same thing. It was a problem for him too. 

Too Soon GIFs | Tenor

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I haven't had an IPA in months.  I switched to hard seltzers for the (much) lower carbs.  I used to split between IPAs and Labatt Lights.  Now I hardly even drink the Labatts.

Yeah the seltzers are pretty dope........

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Jay Mohr told a story once about how Andre used to get two hotel rooms when on the road.

One was for him.

The other? He used the bathtub for "relief" because he didn't fit on the normal bathroom apparatus.

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yeah the seltzers are pretty dope........

Jay Mohr told a story once about how Andre used to get two hotel rooms when on the road.

One was for him.

The other? He used the bathtub for "relief" because he didn't fit on the normal bathroom apparatus.

I had not even seen these things until just recently. We had a ton of them for the post wedding bash on Saturday, and they disappeared quickly! Had my first one yesterday during a hot, midday boat ride and I can see why they are a popular summer drink. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had not even seen these things until just recently. We had a ton of them for the post wedding bash on Saturday, and they disappeared quickly! Had my first one yesterday during a hot, midday boat ride and I can see why they are a popular summer drink. 

They're like the (you'll understand this) the "singer/songwriter collection from Time-Life music" of drinks. Jim Croce, Christopher Cross, John Denver, Carly Simon, James Taylor.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Life is too short to drink crap beer. That's why I've gone mostly Belgian.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/15/2020 at 9:27 PM, The Poojer said:

I love my beer and I drink good beer any chance I can, no matter time of day, quantity etc....

That being said, I tend to be always relatively in control and can hang for hours.  Sure I get buzzed.  Lately I notice, people hanging with me get sloppy really quickly, slurring speech, repeating stories, acting out of control etc...  

I'm mid-upper 50's and I NEVER get to this point.  I don't slow down drinking, usually.  I just think I have something inside that self regulates me to avoid going that far.

I love my wide circle of friends but sometimes I really just can't take it.  

Am I immune to the effects of alcohol, do I just have more self control than I think I have?  It's kinda frustrating because I want to continue to hang out, but sometimes it's just too much for me.

EiL, I don't need a lecture.  I'm just kinda trying to figure it out.  I figure this group is a lot cheaper than a therapist that's going to charge me to tell me what I already know: I need to lose weight and cut back on drinking

Pretty much the same here, albeit I'm 5-8 years older. In extremely general terms, each beer adds .02% blood alcohol content (BAC) to the system. The standard for dwi is .08%. So it would seem 4 beers in an hour is a decent buzz. However the body detoxifies at .02% per hour, so if you're drinking one beer every fifteen minutes you really don't get legally drunk until the fifth beer. Even though you say you don't slow down when you're doing what I call a double shift, you really do. Maybe a beer every fifteen minutes for the first 3, every 20 for the second 2, probably a little longer after that. If you have something to eat along the way it will slow down the affects even more. If you're friends are drinking hard liquor or wine, and trying to go the distance with you, it is bound to get ugly. Also, you likely (like myself) never do a shot, which will add that .02% to the bac immediately. I'm guessing many in your circle can't say the same thing. Whenever I'm offered a shot, my response is thanks anyways, I like the journey, not the destination. 

On 8/16/2020 at 8:07 PM, The Poojer said:

I don't need to be preached to, I know I probably drink more than is healthy.  I'm really just trying to figure out my interactions with others which very well could be 100% on me.  I just find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who feels this way.  I feel like I'm the one that smooths things over so everyone can interact.  Trust me, I completely understand that it might be me and my drinking habits. But somehow I'm able to disassociate myself to think I'm looking at others.  This could very well be me trying to rationalize my existence

Switch it up next time and just do tequila shots all night and make them drag you home. That will break the cycle and lead you on a new, edgy path. All of a sudden they will view you as a wildcard, which will change the dynamic of the group and make it more enjoyable for you. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Different people approach drinking, especially at differing ages, from different angles.

If the OP is in his mid-50s and his drinking buddies are getting sloppy/out of control pretty quickly, and they of roughly the same age group, well, that's just embarrassing.

It's a class thing.  Some people don't have it.

Look at the number of people who are black-out drunk at a Bills game before the damn thing even begins! 

Pooj, I really identified with your post. I usually make an annual trip to Charleston for a 3-day golf outing. It’s about 24-28 guys mostly in their 40s with a few dad’s/uncles in late 60s. A few guys would get a little too rowdy & get kicked out of the bar,  but most maintained because they’re parents & we’ve had a guy get arrested for walking while drunk once. He missed the next 7 years.

That trip was canceled this year due to COVID-19 (beach house was closed). But my other friends had a cancellation for their trip to WV, so I got an invite. Same type of deal but these guys were way better. But since there were no bars to go to, we stayed in the resort condo. Same age range, lots of booze and gambling. I felt like most of these guys stayed together mostly because they knew their limits and didn’t feel like they were on spring break. I guess the difference is that there weren’t any girls to look at. ?

The one commonality I could see was how loud it was. Music playing on a Blu-tooth and everyone trying to talk over it.

Q: Do you get hangovers?

I don’t but sometimes I get some shakes. Usually it happens on Monday after a Bills game. I pretty sure my pace is 2-2.5x normal for those 3 hours.

I’m 50, 5’ 9”, 140. YMMV.

Edited by HopsGuy