Drinkers, need your input

The Poojer

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Some people just aren't used to/ready for the high octane stuff.  I've had beers with one particular friend who can drink a case of Miller Lite in a day and still be coherent.  Give him 4 or 5 Focal Bangers and he's a puddle.

Alchemist beers are for tourists.  We put that brewery there, kinda like a bug zapper, to attract flat landers and keep them away from our better breweries ?

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Alchemist beers are for tourists.  We put that brewery there, kinda like a bug zapper, to attract flat landers and keep them away from our better breweries ?

To each his own.  I think their beer is delicious!

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Do your friends also drink every day? Could it have something to do with you having a higher tolerance from drinking every day? (and maybe from size/weight if you’re a bigger dude). similar to a daily pot smoker. He/she can smoke a whole joint without getting wrecked, where as a more casual smoker would take a few hits and be stuck on the couch for an hour...lol. 

I have no tolerance for alcohol anymore (and I’m Irish. Shameful, I know. lol). I get a buzz from 1 beer. I used to be able to drink a 6 pack without catching a buzz.

You may also be getting more buzzed than you realize. I think Gary gave some great advise. Ask your family (or whoever is around you most) for their opinions on how you control your drinking. 
Like for ex, I have a buddy who doesn’t think his drinking is an issue. Says he doesn’t even get buzzed, but I can easily tell when he’s been drinking. He’s totally different but just doesn’t realize it. Then I have other friends who frequently drink and it’s not an issue.

yea, I was ribbing him a bit with the self awareness joke but self awareness when drinking is obviously a bit impaired. It’s a real consideration.

And the post does check a couple red flag boxes out of the gate having comments about drinking any time of day, not living a healthy lifestyle possibly (weight comment), his therapist telling him to pull it in, and I think some questions around his social circle if late 50s and sloppy drinking is a common issue for them.

all jokes aside, some sober, healthy hobbies might go a long way to balancing out. Go pick up a tennis racket or something, as a suggested idea. It might help with a few things and get you back in balance a bit. 

Edited by NoSaint

14 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I love my beer and I drink good beer any chance I can, no matter time of day, quantity etc....

That being said, I tend to be always relatively in control and can hang for hours.  Sure I get buzzed.  Lately I notice, people hanging with me get sloppy really quickly, slurring speech, repeating stories, acting out of control etc...  

I'm mid-upper 50's and I NEVER get to this point.  I don't slow down drinking, usually.  I just think I have something inside that self regulates me to avoid going that far.

I love my wide circle of friends but sometimes I really just can't take it.  

Am I immune to the effects of alcohol, do I just have more self control than I think I have?  It's kinda frustrating because I want to continue to hang out, but sometimes it's just too much for me.

EiL, I don't need a lecture.  I'm just kinda trying to figure it out.  I figure this group is a lot cheaper than a therapist that's going to charge me to tell me what I already know: I need to lose weight and cut back on drinking

Pooj, I have a buddy who has always been able to drink everybody under the table.  Dude’s like 5’6” 155 pounds.  Even when we were in high school, he was always the last man standing.  The type of guy who could put back an entire 750 ml bottle of Jim Beam to his face while drinking beers.

I was in his wedding a couple Octobers ago....hadn’t seen him in over a decade.  Same thing.  Guy can still drink a crap ton of booze and it’s like he’s drinking Sprite.  And he doesn’t even drink regularly anymore since his daughter was born.  I think it’s in his blood.

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't know why you're getting so angry.

Some people are just mean morning drinkers!

Our son got married yesterday. It was originally supposed to be 7 people, bride/groom, 2 sets of parents and a priest. One bossy sister (out of five) couldn’t wait for the big “public wedding” pushed to 2021, so the sisters were invited.......with husbands and some kids. That led to some high school and college buddies. Before you know it, we have about 35 people who all head back to the house we’re staying in on the water (Siesta Key, FL). We knew this was happening so the caterer was warned, and we loaded up on all types of alcohol. 

Everyone is going pretty hard after the alcohol for several hours. Just when I’m thinking this was a lot of fun, but it’s getting late, all the 20-somethings head off to a rooftop bar on the water downtown. Nobody was sloppy drunk, as apparently they have been working on their craft diligently. I’m not sure if I even want to be that young again........ How they can bounce from beer to Tito’s to tequila shots I just don’t understand. 

EDIT: I knew the fridge in the kitchen was down to 3 beers remaining. I just checked the fridge and a large cooler by the pool to learn we were down to 8 total beers in the house out of countless cases. That was about a 10 second supply, so no wonder they left! I found 100% full but open beers in bathrooms this morning, taking me back to MY college days! “I thought I had a beer. Where did it go? Oh, well, I know here to find more.”  

They almost finished the first gallon of Tito’s, so not too bad there, but they put a heavy dent in the tequila supply. Lots of champagne and red wine left, so the adults were not keeping up! To their credit, they also went thru several cases of water, so @plenzmd1 would be proud! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Some people just aren't used to/ready for the high octane stuff.  I've had beers with one particular friend who can drink a case of Miller Lite in a day and still be coherent.  Give him 4 or 5 Focal Bangers and he's a puddle.

Some people just can’t handle class!

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I love my beer and I drink good beer any chance I can, no matter time of day, quantity etc....

That being said, I tend to be always relatively in control and can hang for hours.  Sure I get buzzed.  Lately I notice, people hanging with me get sloppy really quickly, slurring speech, repeating stories, acting out of control etc...  

I'm mid-upper 50's and I NEVER get to this point.  I don't slow down drinking, usually.  I just think I have something inside that self regulates me to avoid going that far.

I love my wide circle of friends but sometimes I really just can't take it.  

Am I immune to the effects of alcohol, do I just have more self control than I think I have?  It's kinda frustrating because I want to continue to hang out, but sometimes it's just too much for me.

EiL, I don't need a lecture.  I'm just kinda trying to figure it out.  I figure this group is a lot cheaper than a therapist that's going to charge me to tell me what I already know: I need to lose weight and cut back on drinking

You obviously control yourself better than the average Joe, that's a characteristic of an alcoholic.

This is an important point to realize: even though your still in control, you are also still drunk -- you are not immune to alcohol.

Study after study after study have show people to be impaired at 1% BAC, no matter how they feel or how confident they are. So please be careful with the driving decisions.

• Like (+1) 2

@The Poojer How often do you see this circle of friends? Are they regular daily drinking buddies after work or are they more of a once a week Friday happy hour crowd? If it's the latter, you could have a higher tolerance.

You could also be having a Stan Marsh moment where everything seems like poop to you because you're in a funk.

Edited by LB3

1 hour ago, boater said:

You obviously control yourself better than the average Joe, that's a characteristic of an alcoholic.

This is an important point to realize: even though your still in control, you are also still drunk -- you are not immune to alcohol.

Study after study after study have show people to be impaired at 1% BAC, no matter how they feel or how confident they are. So please be careful with the driving decisions.

Uber bit**es!!!!

Edited by The Poojer

2 hours ago, boater said:

At 1% BAC, one is beyond impaired - they're dead. Did you mean 0.1%?

https://mcwell.nd.edu/your-well-being/physical-well-being/alcohol/blood-alcohol-concentration/

• Like (+1) 1

I don't need to be preached to, I know I probably drink more than is healthy.  I'm really just trying to figure out my interactions with others which very well could be 100% on me.  I just find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who feels this way.  I feel like I'm the one that smooths things over so everyone can interact.  Trust me, I completely understand that it might be me and my drinking habits. But somehow I'm able to disassociate myself to think I'm looking at others.  This could very well be me trying to rationalize my existence

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I don't need to be preached to, I know I probably drink more than is healthy.  I'm really just trying to figure out my interactions with others which very well could be 100% on me.  I just find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who feels this way.  I feel like I'm the one that smooths things over so everyone can interact.  Trust me, I completely understand that it might be me and my drinking habits. But somehow I'm able to disassociate myself to think I'm looking at others.  This could very well be me trying to rationalize my existence

My bet is that you’re self regulating your intake better than many others.  That’s usually pretty easy to do with beer if that’s your inclination.  Maybe do an experiment and stay totally sober next time and see what you think of everyone’s behavior.  Pretend to be drinking or just make up some reason you can’t that one time. 

I'm a social guy.  I rarely say no to invites to hang out which again is indicative of a problem.  But my biggest social fear is missing out.

Did I mention that I am 3 years from 60?  This has been my "burden" for 50 years