Bills coaches called Joe Gibbs for advice

nucci

I think this has a lot to do with how the Redskins handled the games in '87 with replacement players. Polian commented on this recently with NFL Network on how the 'Skins were essentially running another set of practices with guys to have them ready to go for when the players association shut down the season. Polian feels that NFL teams should be doing separate practices with their reserves and keep them isolated from the rest of the team in case there is an outbreak.

• Like (+1) 2

This is what good organizations and leaders do. They seek many solid opinions and inputs from other qualified leaders to help them formulate the best plan.

Arrogant leaders think they know it all and don’t do this. They ultimately get caught making poor decisions because they surround themselves with yes people who just nod and confirm they know everything. Meanwhile their competition continues to learn and evolve and eventually surpasses them. 

Its the old “two heads are better than one” saying. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know it may be just me, but I have found it impossible to dislike Joe Gibbs over the years.  

Outstanding coach.  Solid human being.  Digs fast cars.

If I find out he likes flats over drums and loves watching old clips from the Hilarious House of Frightenstein I might have to create an idol in his honor.

For the love of all that’s SBXXVI, take it all back D2D!!! :worthy:

MV5BMjhlNGJiN2EtYWVjYy00YmJiLTk1YzMtNDM0

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

For the love of all that’s SBXXVI, take it all back D2D!!! :worthy:

MV5BMjhlNGJiN2EtYWVjYy00YmJiLTk1YzMtNDM0

I still feel like there was something up with this game. The Skins just teed off on our receivers all game without ever getting a flag.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Capco said:

HA!...  Unreal.  

Marv doesn't seem like the type to throw out accusations like that just because his team is losing.  

Agree. 

And we often saw him animated, pissed and passionate on the sidelines, but in this clip you can definitely see the sheer rage in his eyes. Like 100% anger. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

4 Kid, I forgot how bad the officiating that game was, but it was disgusting.  I don’t know if we would have won, but it would have been a very close game had either they officiated properly, or we do the same crap to them just lighting up their WR’s every time.  That game was embarrassing, but it wouldn’t have been either way had it been done right.  At least we could have gone into the back to back Dallas games with the confidence maybe winning one of the two.  There is always a chance especially the second Dallas one we could have won.  I hate to bring up the past, but we were winning in that one at the half.  To his credit, Marv wouldn’t get in the mud with the other team.  

Gibbs though was a solid SB winning coach winning three with three different QB’s.  That just didn’t happen back then before free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gibbs though was a solid SB winning coach winning three with three different QB’s.  That just didn’t happen back then before free agency.

This is something that is sometimes overlooked when analyzing Gibbs.  To do what he did before free agency is nothing short of remarkable.  He was the textbook definition of a coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

Capco, I’ve got one for you and I really don’t know the answer so not a trick question.  His first stint as HC for the blank team, was until 1992.  He then retired and eventually went into the NASCAR thing which he won Hall of Fame for them which I read is the only person I could find in the HOF for two sports.

So here’s the question and I’m sure one of our esteemed colleagues will know.  It’s reported he was inducted into the NFL HOF in 1996.  That’s only four years after his first retirement.  I don’t know if rules were different then as I tried to find an answer.  Why not five years in 1997?  He’s definitely a HOF Coach.  It wasn’t his fault on the crap calls on our SB.  If I’m A coach and I was for years, I’m not complaining when things go my way.

It shows a level of humility that is present within our leadership. I think that’s a huge positive because when you are humble you can ask yourself serious questions and then you are able to get the right answers and grow from it. It’s the complete opposite of the Adam Gase, Rex Ryan and Gregg Williams type of people of the world who think they know everything.. Could never stand those types, they’re annoying and usually they’re the ones that know the least.. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know it may be just me, but I have found it impossible to dislike Joe Gibbs over the years.  

Outstanding coach.  Solid human being.  Digs fast cars.

If I find out he likes flats over drums and loves watching old clips from the Hilarious House of Frightenstein I might have to create an idol in his honor.

It's a pretty damn impressive feat to win championships in 2 major sports. Guy has to be doing something right. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know if rules were different then as I tried to find an answer.  Why not five years in 1997?  

What I would do is look for news articles written about his induction.  If there was some type of conflict with the necessary number of years before possible induction, any reporter worth their salt would have talked about it.  Even if it was right on the cusp (for example, if the rule in 1996 was 4 years), that probably would have been mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1