What would/should a Milano extension look like?

On 8/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, LeviF91 said:

For context, $14M salary this year would make Milano the 12th highest paid LB in the league.  Even excluding guys on their rookie deals still, Milano is not close to being the 12th best LB in the league.

Yes, but the guys signing new contracts making them the 12th highest paid LB in the league are NEVER the 12th best. Probably more like 20th to 25th, which probably is about where Milano fits. That's how new contracts work. The first year they seem high, the 2nd and 3rd year new people have gotten new contracts and the guy who was 12th is now closer to where he should be. And in the 3rd to 5th year he's lower. That's how it works.

When Milano went out last year the whole defense was noticeably worse, and when he came back they were suddenly and obviously better again. 

On 8/17/2020 at 2:01 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I really like Milano and he’s a playmaker.  But you need to have a limit for him.  OLBs are easy to replace and I worry about him staying healthy.  Love the guy but you can’t sign everyone to max deals. 

Yeah, OLBs are easy to replace ... as long as you don't mind replacing him with an OLB JAG, a replacement level guy. 

Thing is ... in McDermott's defense he hasn't had a JAG there. Not in Carolina and not here. There's a reason Carolina paid two LBs a lot of money. And neither Kuechly nor Thomas Davis could rush the passer, so that wasn't it. His system needs an OLB who can defend the pass as well as play the run. There aren't that many guys that fast and agile around who are still tough enough to play the run well and stay healthy.

My guess is somewhere between maybe $11.5 and $14 per year. I'm not sure they'll be able to keep him but I'm sure they will try hard. If I were them I'd try to do it this year with the same argument they used with Tre, that if you sign this year [EDIT: if they're down to $5 mill this year that may be impossible]  you won't get quite as much as you'd get if you waited a couple of years but what happens if you get injured? Safety is worth a lot.

Might even be as high as $15 or $16 mill a year if they're going to use the skewed math that seems to be the norm now. 

Average salary means total salary divided by total years. And by that reckoning, Tre isn't getting the highest CB average by any means. Average salary is NOT taking only some of the money you will receive and dividing it by only some of the years you have contracted to play. Tre's average salary actually is going to be $81 mill over 6 years, which is actually around $13.5 mill a year. 

If you're going to calculate Milano's salary the same way, I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to $15 or $16 mill ...  if you just use extension dollars and extension years.

Edited by Thurman#1

It won’t be here and it will be 5 years, no less than 50 million, with 25 million guaranteed.

could go as high as 12 million per. 

Respectfully, I don’t know who or what some of you have been watching to think at this stage he will be under double digit millions per year.

LT is important and I like Dion but he is slightLy above average and got 15 million.  12 million doesn’t even get  Milano in the top 10.  10 million per seems about right.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, but the guys signing new contracts making them the 12th highest paid LB in the league are NEVER the 12th best. Probably more like 20th to 25th, which probably is about where Milano fits. That's how new contracts work. The first year they seem high, the 2nd and 3rd year new people have gotten new contracts and the guy who was 12th is now closer to where he should be. And in the 3rd to 5th year he's lower. That's how it works.

When Milano went out last year the whole defense was noticeably worse, and when he came back they were suddenly and obviously better again. 

Agree, but the cap is going down next year. This has never happened in the NFL. So the old patterns need to be reconsidered, at least for next 1-2 years. 

31 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

No

Higher? Fair enough. Maybe you're right. But again, when he was out last year the defense was visibly worse and they got noticeably better the minute he returned. The guy is very good in coverage and also in run defense. There aren't that many guys like that around.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Agree, but the cap is going down next year. This has never happened in the NFL. So the old patterns need to be reconsidered, at least for next 1-2 years. 

Yes, fair enough, that's very much worth remembering. But if he gets one this year (again, if it's true that we're now down to $5 mill this year this will be pretty much completely out of the question) it could be finessed. Or finessed elsewise next year, such as with a largish signing bonus, a miniscule first year salary and a guaranteed second year salary in 2022 when teams that tightened belts the year before will now have some spare cash available. 

I'm not saying they will definitely re-sign him. They have enough good players that some of them will become financial decisions. Milano may be one of those. What I'm saying is that this defense needs a guy like Milano. McD defenses have generally had two, not one highly paid non-rushing LBs, with one of them being a guy like Milano with speed and cover ability attached to toughness and ability to stop the run. Thomas Davis was paid well inside the top ten for LBs when Carolina signed him for a second contract and again when they extended him if I remember correctly. The Bills' future Milano-like guy might not turn out to be Milano, but players with those physical characteristics aren't that easy to find. I believe they'll try very hard to sign him, though it's certainly possible they won't manage it.

And I loved Bobby Chandler back in the day.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1