What would/should a Milano extension look like?

Beane is 2 for 2 in getting players (Spain & Dawkins) to leave some cash on the table. I trust he will get the same thing done here with Milano. So hopefully somewhere less than $11 million per year.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:27 AM, Victory Formation said:

Mmmmm 7-8$M annually. 4yrs $30M total.

Sounds good for both sides.  Like others have said, he’s the perfect fit in our defense.  Maybe not so much in others.  He’s a demon vs the pass but play vs the run leaves a a lot to be desired imo.  4-30 16gtd

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I really like Milano and he’s a playmaker.  But you need to have a limit for him.  OLBs are easy to replace and I worry about him staying healthy.  Love the guy but you can’t sign everyone to max deals. 

Other than the broken ankle, what really has there been by way of injuries? I think he’s missed 4 games in 3 years. I agree I wouldn’t go crazy on his contract but IMO I don’t think he’ll be nearly as replaceable as you say. He offers elite coverage skills at his position in a passing league.  

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Other than the broken ankle, what really has their been by way of injuries? I think he’s missed 4 games in 3 years. I agree I wouldn’t go crazy on his contract but IMO I don’t think he’ll be nearly as replaceable as you say. He offers elite coverage skills at his position in a passing league.  

He fits the defense perfectly, is a playmaker, wants to be here, and doesn’t give the impression he wants to break the bank. This is exactly the type of player you extend for market value, hoping for perhaps a small hometown discount. 

• Like (+1) 1

So, sorry KJ, just saw you’re thread and good choice.  Now if you factor in his existing last year in 2020 contract with a four year $52 mil. contract which breaks down to $13 mil. for those four years.  Considering on the Dawkins marathon thread myself included, people added this year for Dawkins to his $60 mil., and divided over 5 years which is smart, instead of $15 mil. people were saying it’s actually $12.2 mil. for the average over five years.

Using the market value on Spotrac which they are a lot smarter than us have him valued at a $13 mil. avg./yr.  Using that logic, an avg. per year for a $52 mil. Four year is actually five years at 1.8 mil./yr. for five years.  Well that just eats out the 23rd paid linebacker Joe Schubert of Jax.  Given the highest paid LB’s are actually edge rushers, this is a very fair contract.  He’s not just average because we picked him up in the 5th round.  He has played outstanding for a weak side back, is sideline to sideline, has a nose for the ball, if he doesn’t pick them off, he’s good at breaking them up, and he is fast enough to cover athletic TE’s.

He and Edmunds play almost every defensive snap, and getting lucky with that pick is not easy.  He’s not just a guy.  He and Edmunds are staples to our defense.  They are young, athletic, can be in our system for a minimum of eight years or longer.  Now that is a big piece to creating and holding onto a championship defense.  White will be here we hope just as long, the young line will keep growing like Oliver, and Epenesa, and hopefully Harry.

So those are keys to this defense.  Besides in 2021, Poyer will be 30 and his contract is up.  He’s worth an extension although maybe shorter like three years.  Hyde is also 29 now, but we don’t have to extend until he’s 31 in 2022.  He’s also worth I’m guessing if he doesn’t drop off probably two to three years.  That really minimizes other extensions on the defense so our drafts for defense can focus on CB, DL, and probably a third LB.  I love as Beane seems like he has another five year plan for us.  On offense in the next two years we’ll need Lineman, And another TE.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

So, sorry KJ, just saw you’re thread and good choice.  Now if you factor in his existing last year in 2020 contract with a four year $52 mil. contract which breaks down to $13 mil. for those four years.  Considering on the Dawkins marathon thread myself included, people added this year for Dawkins to his $60 mil., and divided over 5 years which is smart, instead of $15 mil. people were saying it’s actually $12.2 mil. for the average over five years.

Using the market value on Spotrac which they are a lot smarter than us have him valued at a $13 mil. avg./yr.  Using that logic, an avg. per year for a $52 mil. Four year is actually five years at 1.8 mil./yr. for five years.  Well that just eats out the 23rd paid linebacker Joe Schubert of Jax.  Given the highest paid LB’s are actually edge rushers, this is a very fair contract.  He’s not just average because we picked him up in the 5th round.  He has played outstanding for a weak side back, is sideline to sideline, has a nose for the ball, if he doesn’t pick them off, he’s good at breaking them up, and he is fast enough to cover athletic TE’s.

He and Edmunds play almost every defensive snap, and getting lucky with that pick is not easy.  He’s not just a guy.  He and Edmunds are staples to our defense.  They are young, athletic, can be in our system for a minimum of eight years or longer.  Now that is a big piece to creating and holding onto a championship defense.  White will be here we hope just as long, the young line will keep growing like Oliver, and Epenesa, and hopefully Harry.

So those are keys to this defense.  Besides in 2021, Poyer will be 30 and his contract is up.  He’s worth an extension although maybe shorter like three years.  Hyde is also 29 now, but we don’t have to extend until he’s 31 in 2022.  He’s also worth I’m guessing if he doesn’t drop off probably two to three years.  That really minimizes other extensions on the defense so our drafts for defense can focus on CB, DL, and probably a third LB.  I love as Beane seems like he has another five year plan for us.  On offense in the next two years we’ll need Lineman, And another TE.

Poyer got paid this year. I like Milano but I wouldn’t shell out 13 million a year for the guy, especially since the cap won’t be as high as we used to think.

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The cap is going to go down and they have White, Hyde, Edmunds, and a free agent pass rusher to sign in the future. You let Milano walk and you trust that a player already drafted or a future draft pick can replace him.  You need players like Ford, Knox, Epenesa and future draft picks to fill out the roster.

Plenty of time before Ford, Knox, Epenesa and future picks need extensions. By that time Murphy, Hughes, Star, etc. will be off the books. 

At the very least franchise or transition tag Milano for a year until we know if Allen is getting big bucks. If the cap goes down those tags will also go down. 

Only on this board have I ever heard fans worry about the salary cap implications of extensions for future draft picks. 

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sounds good for both sides.  Like others have said, he’s the perfect fit in our defense.  Maybe not so much in others.  He’s a demon vs the pass but play vs the run leaves a a lot to be desired imo.  4-30 16gtd

That’s not even in the neighborhood of what he’s going to get. He will be WAY closer to 4-60 than 4-30.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Plenty of time before Ford, Knox, Epenesa and future picks need extensions. By that time Murphy, Hughes, Star, etc. will be off the books. 

At the very least franchise or transition tag Milano for a year until we know if Allen is getting big bucks. If the cap goes down those tags will also go down. 

Only on this board have I ever heard fans worry about the salary cap implications of extensions for future draft picks. 

That's not what I meant. I meant you need draft picks on their initial contract to fill out your team. Once you pay Allen there will be little room left. You can't sign everyone. You need to pick and choose who to let go and where you can draft replacements. Of course Milano on a team friendly deal would be great. But those dollars will add up and limit your options in the future. 

They got lucky and got a very good player at low cost. Now don't make a mistake and overpay to keep him.

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not even in the neighborhood of what he’s going to get. He will be WAY closer to 4-60 than 4-30.

At 4-60 you let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick. Easy choice. 

Just ask what Belichick would do.  No way he pays 60 M for an undersized LB that he can replace in the draft or free agency for 1/5th the price.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think you are right and I think Beane might let the season play out. McD likes his LB’ers. Always had two good one in Carolina in Davis and Keuchly. I think Milano is a tad undersized. Guys like that have a tendency to maybe get dinged up more as their career goes along. Either way I totally trust what Brandon and Sean come up with in regards to LB. V. Joseph is already on the roster, he might be Milano’s replacement. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For sure.  If he doesn’t improve vs the run I hope 11 per is the most we give him. He’s a decent player that looks much better thanks to McD imo.  Let someone else overpay if he’s gonna get 13-15 mill per

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/14/2020 at 9:31 AM, Virgil said:

When comparing him to other OLB's, you need to make sure you aren't looking at edge rushers numbers.  From a coverage OLB perspective, I can see the 8-10 mil range.  He's a solid performer, but not an all-pro.  He's not one I would over-pay for a future deal.

When comparing him to other OLB's, you need to make sure you aren't looking at edge rushers numbers.  From a coverage OLB perspective, I can see the 8-10 mil range.  He's a solid performer, but not an all-pro.  He's not one I would over-pay for a future deal.

Love your hair Vigil, do you have matching panties?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sweet Jesus, if this is even close to what he's looking for, for the love of God let him walk. You can only pay a limited number of guys elite money and for me those guys are: 1) Tre'Day, 2) Tremaine and probably 3)Ed Oliver on D;   4) Josh, 5) Dion and 6) Ya DIgg on Offense.  If you give an undersized LB $15 million per, I guarantee you one of the above mentioned 6 players cannot be re-signed. 

8 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Poyer got paid this year. I like Milano but I wouldn’t shell out 13 million a year for the guy, especially since the cap won’t be as high as we used to think.

Motor, I must have missed the Poyer extension so thank you.  So much for google as it still had him only through 2020.  As far as Milano, just bear in mind that extra year bringing the overall total down to $10.8 Mil. for five years.