What would/should a Milano extension look like?

Should just add the Dawkins extension shows that second tier level players are now willing to take a little less to be here. In years past they wanted a bit more to stay / come here. That is good news. They won't get hometown discounts off the superstars like Tre or hopefully Josh but if they can get them off the second tier guys they can be a really good team for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You are misreading the market. Blake Martinez just got $10m. Milano gets more than him. 

In general this is a problem that Bills fans have. In our defense we haven’t had a lot of experience with  second contracts. With that being said we need to stop looking at a player in a vacuum through the lens of what we’d give them. We need to look at what others kind of like him got paid. That’s entirely how these contracts work.

It’s like buying a house. You don’t look at a house and say, “I kind of like this one. I think that I’ll put in an offer at $525k.” When Blake Martinez gets $10M the nicer house in that neighborhood doesn’t sell for $8M. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Exactly right. This is where we see just how much wanting to stay in Buffalo and continue playing for McDermott means. 

It meant enough to Dion to leave money on the table. Now of course the covid uncertainty probably plays in a bit, but Dion would have got more on the open market than 4 for 60. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You are misreading the market. Blake Martinez just got $10m. Milano gets more than him. 

Maybe I've misread 'the market' also. I just don't see the value at $12-14 million per. Even to the Bills, where he's a terrific 'fit'.

I do see him as being a capable starter in pretty much any base 4-3 system, but my belief is that the Bills get the most out of him, and in respect of 'the market', it isn't just about what a.n.other guy got, it's also about what someone else is prepared to pay, and I remain unconvinced that other teams will be prepared to pay top dollar (the $12-14 million per being mentioned) for a guy who while important, is a very good complimentary piece, rather than a focal point.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In general this is a problem that Bills fans have. In our defense we haven’t had a lot of experience with  second contracts. With that being said we need to stop looking at a player in a vacuum through the lens of what we’d give them. We need to look at what others kind of like him got paid. That’s entirely how these contracts work.

It’s like buying a house. You don’t look at a house and say, “I kind of like this one. I think that I’ll put in an offer at $525k.” When Blake Martinez gets $10M the nicer house in that neighborhood doesn’t sell for $8M. 

I am buying a house in London at the moment Kirbs you don't need to tell me that the market dictates paying more than it possibly could ever seem to be worth ?

Just now, Buddo said:

Maybe I've misread 'the market' also. I just don't see the value at $12-14 million per. Even to the Bills, where he's a terrific 'fit'.

I do see him as being a capable starter in pretty much any base 4-3 system, but my belief is that the Bills get the most out of him, and in respect of 'the market', it isn't just about what a.n.other guy got, it's also about what someone else is prepared to pay, and I remain unconvinced that other teams will be prepared to pay top dollar (the $12-14 million per being mentioned) for a guy who while important, is a very good complimentary piece, rather than a focal point.

The Giants just paid $10m for Blake Martinez. If you honestly watched that guy play and thought he was the focal point of Green Bay's defense then football isn't for you. Desperate GMs who need to win "now" or lose their job and with holes overpay in FA to fill them. That is the NFL. 

• Haha (+1) 3

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips can get 10 million per on the FA market then Matt Milano should get 10 mil per to stay in Buffalo. He is a more valuable piece to this defense than Phillips and Lawson ever were. Posters that are saying 7 and 8 per are delusional.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am buying a house in London at the moment Kirbs you don't need to tell me that the market dictates paying more than it possibly could ever seem to be worth ?

The Giants just paid $10m for Blake Martinez. If you honestly watched that guy play and thought he was the focal point of Green Bay's defense then football isn't for you. Desperate GMs who need to win "now" or lose their job and with holes overpay in FA to fill them. That is the NFL. 

'A' focal point, i.e. of LBers, not a whole D.

Tbh, I have no idea about Martinez, and don't actually care about him. On the assumption that the Giants will be running a base 4-3, then it's quite possible that as a comparison, Milano should get more, I don't know. What I do know is that making the assumption that someone will be prepared to overpay for him next year, is precisely that, an assumption.

There's going to be an awful lot of uncertainty for this season, and with the unprecedented reduction in the cap number for next year, I just don't see even desperate teams willing to pay over the odds.

Imho, if Milano signs in the not too distant, it will be for around $10 million per, however it shakes out (I don't want to get involved in the  4 or 5 year thing ;) ). I also think that that would be fair, and currently, I'm very much of the opinion that guys would be far better off securing their future now, rather than hoping everything else that's going on, eventually turns out ok.

N.B. Fwiw, the laughing emoticon was in relation to the house buying in London. Good luck with that.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Giants also paid Solder to basically be terrible and get moved so I’m not gonna say they should be price makers.

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

True but not doing your due diligence and overpaying for a house that has bad plumbing and electric doesn’t make the whole neighborhood more expensive.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips can get 10 million per on the FA market then Matt Milano should get 10 mil per to stay in Buffalo. He is a more valuable piece to this defense than Phillips and Lawson ever were. Posters that are saying 7 and 8 per are delusional.

Actually I was surprised that they got paid that well but your comparison of quality of play is accurate, he also knows our system and is an asset instead of a wildcard so I am guessing he is offered at least 4 years at 10 per.

• Like (+1) 1

As a guy that loves Milano, I don't want to see them pay him any more than 6.5/7m a year. He plays hard, and has a good nose for the ball, but he isn't that talented. To me, he's the re-incarnation of John DiGiorgio.

36 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

tanney.jpeg

Imagine being in the league 9 years and attempting 15 passes. 

7 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I previously advocated letting him walk assuming he would get at least 12-13m AAV but I was thinking yesterday that, considering his humble lifestyle, he may have different priorities than others and may be the type to take lower numbers to stay in a place and situation where he's happy. If it's around say $9-10m can we pass it up?

I’m not banking on a guy giving up $10m+ on his prime contract because he’s got a humble lifestyle. 

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

that’s the thing- a good 43 OLB is nice... but doesn’t require a rare body type or other worldly athleticism. It isn’t even a 3 down position always.

if you find a really special guy, sure- 12-14M would be on the table. But I think we’ve just got ourselves a good hard working starter quality player. If you pay all of them, you won’t be a good team. 

keep drafting OLBs or plugging vets short term and spend the money elsewhere.

49 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Giants also paid Solder to basically be terrible and get moved so I’m not gonna say they should be price makers.

True but not doing your due diligence and overpaying for a house that has bad plumbing and electric doesn’t make the whole neighborhood more expensive.

I am not saying it would be a sensible franchise that pays him that much. But there are plenty of moribund badly run franchises with desperate GMs trying to find quick fixes to save jobs. That is the point. Milano won't get stupid money off the Bills but he would on the open market. 

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you read it Milano is a better Shaq Thompson by virtually every metric. His agent knows that.

Spain was projected between $7m-$10m a year. He signed for $5M without really exploring his options. He was certainly under what was expected.

People guessed , they were wroing.i t still doesn't sound right saying we saved money when there really was no set price to begin with, just guesses.

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

People guessed , they were wroing.i t still doesn't sound right saying we saved money when there really was no set price to begin with, just guesses.

But it’s all based on comps. There were no projections saying that Spain was going to get $5m a year coming off a season where he didn’t give up a sack. The Jets were paying Winters almost $8M a year. There is a market value that’s pretty universally accepted amongst the league and if you’re below it, it’s a win for the team. Spain absolutely got less than projected and didn’t shop his services. That happens sometimes and when a guy leaves money on the table you can use it elsewhere. Spain leaving money on the table leaves more flexibility for Milano and/or Tre.

It is kind of like the home buying process. No one goes to buy a house and thinks, “it might be $200K or it might be $1.6M.” You generally know roughly what it will cost. Spain went for less than anticipated. He was a foreclosure.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if I’m being repetitive. 

I really appreciate what Milano brings to this team. Most importantly, it’s his game and the DNA McD speaks of: he’s got it in spades. I also suspect McD views him as his mini-Kuechly. With that being said, I suspect he’ll be paid...my only hope is he is willing to take a reasonable ‘discount‘ and ends up in the $9-$11m range. 

On 8/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, aristocrat said:

if we don't sign him and he gets big money elsewhere we get that ever important comp pick.  milano i kind of go back and forth on.  he has those moments where he just hits the hole and stuffs some rb and then he has some bonehead moments.  if we lose him i trust beane can get a solid replacement.  you can't pay everyone

Spot on ! There will be people that we need to let go. You have to budget well and Beane is extraordinary at it. 

Lookup Patriots, New England.