What would/should a Milano extension look like?

10 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I'm just saying that I'd rather get 9m/y playing for competent organization from top to bottom under McD than for something like Jets under Gase or Raiders under Gruden for 11m/y or even 12m/y. I guess there is a chance that especially Milano thinks the same way. There are tons of people who make same decision in other professions (taking less in better working environment), and it should be actually easier decision when even the smaller amount sets you for life.

good point but if it's $9M  a year or $12m a year for multiple seasons, that's a lot of money to turn down

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

The extension itself will not be for anything less than $10 million dollars a year.   I know he isnt the most popular player on this board, but he is a good player, probably top 15 at his position.  Given the higher salary cap this year his extension probably looks something like 4 yrs/43.5million.  The good news is our front office is smart, so they will add money to the last year of his rookie deal and spread the remaining money over the last four years.  So essentially you'll get him at $9 million a year for five.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think expecting Milano to take $8M AAV when guys like Littleton and Schoebert are getting $11M is nuts.

I mean, Blake Martinez got $10M.

Milano is probably in the 10-12 range unless he takes a HUGE discount, which I suppose is possible given his unique “minimalist” nature, but it would surprise me.

This. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As others have said, 3-4 years at no more than 7m per. He's good but not elite. His size still concerns me as he occasionally gets run over.

Anyone saying $7 million dollars a year or less grossly undervalues Milano.   For comparison sake, the Bills just paid AJ Klein, a 31 year old linebacker who most likely will play less than 60% of snaps on defense this year, $6 million per year.  Think what you want about Milano, but the guy is an every down linebacker, he played close to 90% of the defensive snaps last year despite missing a game, and was productive when he was on the field.   No way he gets paid $7 million a year as a max out.  If thats the offer he wont be on your team and its not like every down linebackers grow on trees, you also have to consider what they have behind him, which is next to nothing.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Anyone saying $7 million dollars a year or less grossly undervalues Milano.   For comparison sake, the Bills just paid AJ Klein, a 31 year old linebacker who most likely will play less than 60% of snaps on defense this year, $6 million per year.  Think what you want about Milano, but the guy is an every down linebacker, he played close to 90% of the defensive snaps last year despite missing a game, and was productive when he was on the field.   No way he gets paid $7 million a year as a max out.  If thats the offer he wont be on your team and its not like every down linebackers grow on trees, you also have to consider what they have behind him, which is next to nothing.

Yep. People need to really understand the market. He isn't signing anywhere for less than $10m and there is no way the Bills offer is only $7m. I actually think $10m is probably the Bills offer and they might even be willing to go a little higher in exchange for a small guaranteed percentage.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. People need to really understand the market. He isn't signing anywhere for less than $10m and there is no way the Bills offer is only $7m. I actually think $10m is probably the Bills offer and they might even be willing to go a little higher in exchange for a small guaranteed percentage.  

I think a lot of what goes on in terms of valuing players in Buffalo is about exposure.  Milano and Edmunds essentially had the same year last year, one is constantly talked about as a future pro bowler, and was a first round pick, the other isnt.  Not saying Milano is a better player, but he is a very good player and should be paid like it.  

Corey Littleton signed as a UFA with Vegas for 3 years $36. I think an extension for Milano at around that seems right. 

Milano currently has 1 year left at $2M, would make the total remaining 4 years $38M

I like/hope they continue the signing of people they want to an extension a year early at reasonable rates.  It gives the lower draft picks mega-money now with the guarantees and the Bills can get a good deal on the player is they have assessed that player correctly.  Locks up good players, gives consistency to the team, gives good base of players, limits turnover from year to year.  The player gets into the mega-million range, not as much as hitting the open market, but secured mega-millions a year earler.

Looks like the Bills have the opportunity to present Milano a four year extension at around $10 million for later years.  Give him the guarantee now and spread it out for  the next 5 years.

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think a lot of what goes on in terms of valuing players in Buffalo is about exposure.  Milano and Edmunds essentially had the same year last year, one is constantly talked about as a future pro bowler, and was a first round pick, the other isnt.  Not saying Milano is a better player, but he is a very good player and should be paid like it.  

They had no where near the same season. Milano was no where near as good as Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 2

Milano is a better LB, right now, than Edmunds. He was a 5th round pick so he doesn't have the same cache, but we know he's a key piece to the D.  I remember Greg Cosell raving about Milano's skill set and said his talent has not gone unnoticed in league circles.  So I think he will get paid.

On the open market he probably could command $14+M per year, but with the uncertainty of where the cap is headed perhaps the Bills could strike a deal now, which gives him a healthy signing bonus now and in return he takes a couple million less per.  

I'm thinking a 4 year $48M extension would be a solid deal.  That would essentially be a 5 yr. $50M deal when factoring in his $1M salary this year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Without being especially detailed about it, my impression has been that for the last couple of years, the team has been better with Milano on the field, than when he's missed any games.

Now, while Joseph may have some potential, we don't know how he's progressed, as he has been injured. There isn't anyone currently, who replaces him to the same level of play.

Undoubtedly, Milano is a good 'fit' for what we do as a D. He has also proven himself as a good player in the system. Imho, he will be a decent player for other base 4-3 teams, yet perhaps not have the same level of impact he has had for us.

That leads into how do you value him? As a starter level 4-3 LBer, he is probably worth around the $6-8 million per, region, especially considering his body of work and age. Due to his 'fit' for the Bills, I think you can bump that by a couple of million, especially as we currently don't appear to have an equally effective replacement.

I think Milano can probably get around $8 million per, from just about any 4-3 base team.  He's definitely  starter, and his age and experience is right. Depending on how they want to use him, that might go up some, but not a great deal.

I think the Bills know exactly what they have, and want, from him, and will be willing to actually 'overpay'  some, to retain him, and my best guess is that he will end up with a deal that is about $10 million per. I think that that is fair, and a reflection of his value to the Bills, in relation to the market. I would be pretty surprised if he gets more than that, because I don't see other teams being prepared to pay that.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you read it Milano is a better Shaq Thompson by virtually every metric. His agent knows that.

They do very different things for their defenses. Stat analysis of Milano and Thompson is the wrong way to look at it imo. Thompson does way more surrounded by way less.

10 minutes ago, Estro said:

Milano is a better LB, right now, than Edmunds. He was a 5th round pick so he doesn't have the same cache, but we know he's a key piece to the D.  I remember Greg Cosell raving about Milano's skill set and said his talent has not gone unnoticed in league circles.  So I think he will get paid.

On the open market he probably could command $14+M per year, but with the uncertainty of where the cap is headed perhaps the Bills could strike a deal now, which gives him a healthy signing bonus now and in return he takes a couple million less per.  

I'm thinking a 4 year $48M extension would be a solid deal.  That would essentially be a 5 yr. $50M deal when factoring in his $1M salary this year

No to all of this. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

The extension itself will not be for anything less than $10 million dollars a year.   I know he isnt the most popular player on this board, but he is a good player, probably top 15 at his position.  Given the higher salary cap this year his extension probably looks something like 4 yrs/43.5million.  The good news is our front office is smart, so they will add money to the last year of his rookie deal and spread the remaining money over the last four years.  So essentially you'll get him at $9 million a year for five.

Dawkins is ranked around 12 to 15 and is being paid top 5 money, might as well do the same for Milano. Milano is one of the best cover LB's in the NLF, his run stuffing is average but this isn't the 90's, teams will be passing the football more and more as long as the rules keep changing. Milano is definitely one of those players when he is not in there you notice it. 4 year 45 mil type deal would be a good deal for player and team. Milanos ability to cover RB, TE and WR's to some degree is so valuable right now in the NLF, especially since we play the NE cheat riots who's whole game plan is quick illegal screens/rub routes. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They do very different things for their defenses. Stat analysis of Milano and Thompson is the wrong way to look at it imo. Thompson does way more surrounded by way less.

No to all of this. 

That’s an argument that the Bills will make. Milano’s agent will be using the stat argument. That’s kind of the point. That’s why this is a lot more complicated of a negotiation than the other extensions IMO.