What would/should a Milano extension look like?

17 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Is Shaq the "market value" though? Milano is not Shaq, and I don't think market value for a non-pro bowl, non-pass rushing OLB is even $10M.  I sort of think the position is the RB of the defense--more easily replaced than other positions, and not worth major salary cap investment. 

If you read it Milano is a better Shaq Thompson by virtually every metric. His agent knows that.

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Really don't think you can say that we 'saved' money on the Spain deal, anyways, you pay Milano what you think he's worth. I can't see $14 million, but $10 maybe with an out after 2 or 3 years. This team is designed to win in the next 2 seasons. Milano should be part of that team.

Spain was projected between $7m-$10m a year. He signed for $5M without really exploring his options. He was certainly under what was expected.

10 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

The last time Beane and McDermott had a 5th round stud coming up for a big contact, they let him walk.

Josh Norman in Carolina...he was another "system player," like Milano.

Vosean Joseph, it's time to shine!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Norman asking for the most money by a CB and Washington gave it to him?  

I think that would be the difference here.  I don't believe Milano will be asking to be the highest paid OLB.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00.htm

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
2017 23 BUF rlb 58 16 5 1 15 0 15 2 1 0 1 40 1 0 49 32 17 7 6   4
2018 24 BUF RLB 58 13 13 3 41 0 29 7 0 0 3 0 0 1 78 52 26 12 3   9
2019 25 BUF LLB 58 15 15 0 0 0 0 9 1 0 1 0 0 1.5 101 65 36 7 7   11
Career       44 33 4 56 0 29 18 2 0 5 40 1 2.5 228 149 79 26 16  

The situation with Milano is that with him in the field this defense is better, and that must be take in consideration at the time the money talks come, at least in the mind of the front office. I don't see at this moment other player that brings that to the defense, and for me is a reason to slightly overpay him

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you read it Milano is a better Shaq Thompson by virtually every metric. His agent knows that.

Spain was projected between $7m-$10m a year. He signed for $5M without really exploring his options. He was certainly under what was expected.

I just read it (I didn't see you posted that article). Yeah, hard to argue with the numbers. I just think OLB is one of those positions where the entire story isn't told by the stats.  Above I've been saying that non-pass rushing OLBs are the RB of the defense. I'll use that comparison to illustrate--Bell was as top-3 RB in the league, but he was easily replaced by Connors and then underperformed in NY.  Sure, his numbers were the best, but that doesn't tell the whole story.  I sort of think its the same thing for non-pass rushing OLB, and that's the reason we should not pay them. 

All that being said, I'll bet you anything the Bills disagree, just based on the history in Carolina.  So what do I know. 

25 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I previously advocated letting him walk assuming he would get at least 12-13m AAV but I was thinking yesterday that, considering his humble lifestyle, he may have different priorities than others and may be the type to take lower numbers to stay in a place and situation where he's happy. If it's around say $9-10m can we pass it up?

His interests are fashion and music.  Unless the good people of Buffalo have turned him on to cargo shorts, crocs, and Kid Rock then I think his interests and lifestyle would be a better fit in NYC or LA.  

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Is Shaq the "market value" though? Milano is not Shaq, and I don't think market value for a non-pro bowl, non-pass rushing OLB is even $10M.  I sort of think the position is the RB of the defense--more easily replaced than other positions, and not worth major salary cap investment. 

I'm not a defensive expert but it seems in McDermott's defense, someone like Milano is a key ingredient.  He has him out there all the time.  Speed seems to be essential and that's what Milano gives him....plus his coverage ability.  

I don't know if it's just how it ended up but it seems that McDermott puts money into his linebackers and puts depth into his defensive line.  I don't think he's ever had that elite pass rushing end (could be wrong), he's always just had multiple solid to very solid guys up front.  

Thomas Davis doesn't really rush the passer either and was given a nice contract while under McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2

I think expecting Milano to take $8M AAV when guys like Littleton and Schoebert are getting $11M is nuts.

I mean, Blake Martinez got $10M.

Milano is probably in the 10-12 range unless he takes a HUGE discount, which I suppose is possible given his unique “minimalist” nature, but it would surprise me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's worth whatever the Bills want to pay for him. My guess is he'll be making 12 million a year and if McDermott and Beane think he's important to keep at that number I am fine with that.

People are getting really possessive of Pegula's money.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be interested in seeing their number of Broken/Missed tackles compared. But not sure if anyone tracks that.

Milano missed tackle rates:

20.4% in 2018

13.7% in 2019

Thompson:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomSh01.htm

11.1% in 2018

9.2% in 2019

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Knowing" Beane, McD and Milano I'd say he'll stay under terms very favorable for the Bills. He seems like a guy who wants to play here and doesn't care that much about the money. Beane won't overpay but for me part of the culture is to offer fair deals to all our own, esp. those who were drafted in lower rounds and worked hard through their rookie deals.

If I had to guess I'd say something like 4/36 which if we add to this years peanuts he gets will be amazing deal for Bills.

My dream is that key players will be willing to stay here for slightly less than their market price in order to allow Beane to build constant contender. I think Dion just did it and it sets good example (same as Spain before). Milano and Tre will, and then JA will follow. One can dream right?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's worth whatever the Bills want to pay for him. My guess is he'll be making 12 million a year and if McDermott and Beane think he's important to keep at that number I am fine with that.

it's not actual cash, it's the cap. Speculation it may drop to $175M next season. That plays a big part in this

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

"Knowing" Beane, McD and Milano I'd say he'll stay under terms very favorable for the Bills. He seems like a guy who wants to play here and doesn't care that much about the money. Beane won't overpay but for me part of the culture is to offer fair deals to all our own, esp. those who were drafted in lower rounds and worked hard through their rookie deals.

If I had to guess I'd say something like 4/36 which if we add to this years peanuts he gets will be amazing deal for Bills.

My dream is that key players will be willing to stay here for slightly less than their market price in order to allow Beane to build constant contender. I think Dion just did it and it sets good example (same as Spain before). Milano and Tre will, and then JA will follow. One can dream right?

it's a good dream but players make their most money on the 2nd contract

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

20.4% in 2018

13.7% in 2019

Thompson:

11.1% in 2018

9.2% in 2019

Thanks, bandit.

I'd say that's a pretty big difference. No?

Milano is going to miss 1 in every 6 tackles, where Thompson only misses 1 in 10.

I know Beane/McD/someone has said we need to get better at tackling this year. Maybe they wait to see if he improves at all.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not a defensive expert but it seems in McDermott's defense, someone like Milano is a key ingredient.  He has him out there all the time.  Speed seems to be essential and that's what Milano gives him....plus his coverage ability.  

I don't know if it's just how it ended up but it seems that McDermott puts money into his linebackers and puts depth into his defensive line.  I don't think he's ever had that elite pass rushing end (could be wrong), he's always just had multiple solid to very solid guys up front.  

Thomas Davis doesn't really rush the passer either and was given a nice contract while under McDermott.

Whenever I think I really understand pro-level football, I realize I know nothing.  I mean, McDermott clearly knows what he is doing on defense, and everything you say here is absolutely correct, historically speaking. I just have a hard time valuing the OLB position. 

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

20.4% in 2018

13.7% in 2019

Thompson:

11.1% in 2018

9.2% in 2019

That difference is striking

• Like (+1) 1

Not really.  It is the cap that is always the concern.

I'm dreaming with you, No_Matter_What.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

it's not actual cash, it's the cap. Speculation it may drop to $175M next season. That plays a big part in this

it's a good dream but players make their most money on the 2nd contract

I'm just saying that I'd rather get 9m/y playing for competent organization from top to bottom under McD than for something like Jets under Gase or Raiders under Gruden for 11m/y or even 12m/y. I guess there is a chance that especially Milano thinks the same way. There are tons of people who make same decision in other professions (taking less in better working environment), and it should be actually easier decision when even the smaller amount sets you for life.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 2