On the topic or extensions and contracts. Who’s next, and when?

We got Dion and Sean locked up, so who’s next? Is it Milano, Tre, or Beane, I’m thinking Milano within two weeks, what’s y’all’s opinion?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see a crisis to lock up Milano.

Good LTs (Dawkins) are hard to find = lockup the one you have

Great LBs (Edmunds) are hardest to find = lock up the one you have

Good LBs (Milano) are not hard to find = pursue him when the contract is up

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agree that Milano makes the most sense to be next. Especially now that he knows he'll be playing for McD and in McD's scheme through his next contract.

Tre next year, and then Beane right after as a reward.

Tre’ for sure. 

I guess someone asked and Beane said he expects he will get extended at some point down the road 

No way Tre gets signed this year. The longer he waits the bigger his price tag becomes, so his agent will likely be advising him to wait.

And he has the 5th year option too, so we could even potentially wait two more years.

My guess is Beane is next. I think they'll wait till after the season to resign Milano.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boater said:

This.  If some of the projections are correct (around 12-13 million per season)  I would pass to be honest.   He is a good player, but you pay other positions first.  He can be replaced

8 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

This.  If some of the projections are correct (around 12-13 million per season)  I would pass to be honest.   He is a good player, but you pay other positions first.  He can be replaced

$12-13M?!?!? Oh helllllll no

I'd give him Trent Murphy money though. 3 year extension/$21M

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

No way Tre gets signed this year. The longer he waits the bigger his price tag becomes, so his agent will likely be advising him to wait.

And he has the 5th year option too, so we could even potentially wait two more years.

My guess is Beane is next. I think they'll wait till after the season to resign Milano.

Agreed.  Beane next and see what happens this year with Milano.

I love Milano, I just don’t know if they plan on paying 2 LBs 15+ mill a year.  I’m hoping that money just doesn’t matter too much based on his minimalistic life and he’ll take a discount to play next to Edmunds for his career.   He’s good but he’s not good enough vs the run to make 14-15 mill a year imo.  The market suggests that he is though.

White should be next offseason.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/yearly/cap/

There’s a link to Spotrac’s yearly cap hits by positions and players.  Scroll down for players.  Dawkins should be priority #1 and it’s not really close.  That’s because he will be a FA after this season and using a tag on him will inflate his price.  The Bills should be working on an extension for Tre as well.  He is even more important than Dawkins but his option year in 2021 gives us more time.

Edited by BarleyNY

Tre 5 yrs 80-85 mill is likely next. Milano is a tricky one - he is great for us - but may not do so well in another system - so how much do you pay him? I think we will likely come with a 4yr 52-60 million extension for him as well. So I am going to guess the order will be:

1. Tre 2. Milano 3. Beane and then we are done. No hurry to extend Allen / Edmunds till next offseason.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Edmunds needs to be the next priority

I can’t imagine why you think that.  He’s shown flashes to be sure and his upside is huge, but he’s got to clean up a lot too.  He’s missed run fits and coverage assignments too often to really commit to long term.  He’s young and that can certainly all come together in the next season or two.  Then he should get extended or a new deal. 

Oh, I haven’t even mentioned that he is not even eligible to have his deal extended until after this season is over.  So there’s that. 

51 minutes ago, boater said:

Agree on Dawkins and Milano.  Edmunds is a ways away though.  My opinion is above.  He can’t have his contract extended until after this season is over anyway.  As @Gambit said, he was drafted the same year as Allen.  Unless Allen flames out and we are parting ways, I‘m not extending my MLB before my QB.

I’d really like to hold onto Milano, but I don’t see spending large on two LBs.  I barely like the idea of spending big on one.  Just like safeties, only do that for the very special ones - and only one at a time.  Let Milano test the market after this season and set his price.  If it’s not too bad, then maybe we can keep him.  If he gets paid big, then good for him.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

One additional point of concern is the OL moving forward.  Take a look at the Spotrac link above and scroll to the OL section.  We are not set up to have much of an OL in 2021 at this point.  Morse (very good starter), Spain (okay starter) and then Ford (sketchy starter) is it except for developmental players.

Signing Dawkins to an extension now makes putting together a quality OL next season very workable.  I see real problems - or a franchise tag - if we don’t.  Dawkins is a good player, but I don’t think he is worth a contract based off of a franchise number.  I don’t want us to go down that road and have to decide between overpaying him by a fair bit or losing him.  As bad as that would be, letting him play out his deal and hit FA would probably be worse.  We’d be in a bad negotiating position and we’d have to contend with other teams bidding up his price.  Quite possibly we’d lose him to one of them, especially if he feels slighted by not getting an extension from us. Just extend him now and focus on filling the OL out in the offseason. 

Edited by BarleyNY

27 minutes ago, Gambit said:

You realize he was drafted the same year as Allen? 

This^^^. If Josh shows he's the "real deal" this season Edmunds will most likely get tagged. Milano has expressed love for Buffalo and will most likely accept a "fair" contract along the lines of Dion's. I see a 9-10 Mil per in his future. If Phillips and Lawson can draw 10 per from other teams then Milano certainly should as well.

35 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I can’t imagine why you think that.  He’s shown flashes to be sure and his upside is huge, but he’s got to clean up a lot too.  He’s missed run fits and coverage assignments too often to really commit to long term.  He’s young and that can certainly all come together in the next season or two.  Then he should get extended or a new deal. 

Oh, I haven’t even mentioned that he is not even eligible to have his deal extended until after this season is over.  So there’s that. 

Edmunds has gotten better every year, he is good now, and his ceiling doesnt look to have been touched.  He absolutely needs to be re upped when the time comes.