Report: Bills have several players in for workout today. (Names unknown)

BillsMafi$

14 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I am hearing the Buffalo Bills have several players in for a workout/COVID-19 testing today.  Sounds like some big guys, possibly defensive lineman. Stay Tuned......

-per Nfldraftdiamonds on Twitter.

(reliable source)

If they wanted to upgrade D line, they should have signed Griffen, you had a lot of respect for Frazier.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

Clowney?

It’s definitely not Clowney.  One, that likely leaks.  Two, if it was, they wouldn’t bring him in with several other guys.  Three, we have a log jam of talent at DE already, just makes no sense to bring in Clowney. 

If it’s big guys for DL, it’s likely depth at DT given Star opted out and Horrible Harry hasn’t stepped into any action yet coming off a big injury last year so may want some depth insurance for camp until they see how he is recovering and looks along with the other new pieces they already signed.  

My guess it’s nothing more than maybe some camp body depth, especially if they want to ease Horrible Harry along slowly given the lack of reps this year before week 1. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane just never stops, how can ya not like this guy...?

Go Bills!!!

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s definitely not Clowney.  One, that likely leaks.  Two, if it was, they wouldn’t bring him in with several other guys.  Three, we have a log jam of talent at DE already, just makes no sense to bring in Clowney. 

If it’s big guys for DL, it’s likely depth at DT given Star opted out and Horrible Harry hasn’t stepped into any action yet coming off a big injury last year so may want some depth insurance for camp until they see how he is recovering and looks along with the other new pieces they already signed.  

My guess it’s nothing more than maybe some camp body depth, especially if they want to ease Horrible Harry along slowly given the lack of reps this year before week 1. 

I agree with most of this except for the logjam at DE and that bringing in Clowney makes not sense.  It makes no sense if your actively trying to NOT improve your team..  Murphy can be cut and replaced by Clowney.  Clowney is a superior player.  It makes lots of sense.  Hughes and Addison are getting up there in age.  Murphy is replaceable.  Epenesa is an unknown.  Johnson is an unknown. There’s only one reason that we can’t/won’t  make this upgrade.  McB just doesn’t seem to be very interested from what we’ve heard. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree with most of this except for the logjam at DE and that bringing in Clowney makes not sense.  It makes no sense if your actively trying to NOT improve your team..  Murphy can be cut and replaced by Clowney.  Clowney is a superior player.  It makes lots of sense.  Hughes and Addison are getting up there in age.  Murphy is replaceable.  Epenesa is an unknown.  Johnson is an unknown. There’s only one reason that we can’t/won’t  make this upgrade.  McB just doesn’t seem to be very interested from what we’ve heard. 

All 32 teams seem to have an issue with Clowney. He isn't as good as the money he wants.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Clowney would be an upgrade in talent at the position for the Bills.  The real issue is the money that he wants, his injury history. and some inconsistency in his play.  No doubt that when he is right and wants to perform, the guy can wreck a game.  It's not just McB that isn't interested.  There isn't serious interest around the league which is why he remains unsigned.  When the asking price becomes appropriate for the risk and performance, he will get signed.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I respectfully disagree on it making sense.  I get your points, and good reply, but here are my counter points to this.  To be clear, I would not at all be upset if we signed Clowney, I am saying it just does not make sense anymore after our off season.  

They are NOT going to sign Clowney for more than a year, thats what you are missing.  The priority is to save cap space to retain other players.  So no, it does not make sense to sign Clowney, because those "age" concerns are not relevant this year.  Clowney didn't even out produce Murphy last year, let alone out play Addison or Hughes.  So for this year, we are stacked at DE and have a stud rookie to mix in and develop as well.  Johnson isnt an unknown, and he narrowly out produced Clowney on the same Seahawk team last year.  He may not be as established as the guys ahead of him, but he is definitely not an unknown and more than capable to be a key part of the rotation with the upside to be even more.  

This is why outside of fan desire, it does not make football sense for the Buffalo Bills to sign him right now in terms of need.  The only exception would be to sign him to a longer deal, but that has 0% chance of happening.  One, Beane will never give him what he wants in order to sign a long term deal because his focus is on retaining White, Milano, then Edmunds, and Allen in the next couple of years.  Two, the only way Beane would do that is if Clowney took a MASSIVE cut in what he is looking for, and 0% Clowney does that.  He is looking for the best one year deal so he can prove his lofty price tag he is seeking.  

So again, there is just no way Clowney will be a Bill at any point this year barring injuries IMO.  Beane could prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.  Nor do I see Buffalo being at all attractive to Clowney...not because its the Bills, but because there is a lot of talent at DE already and he would be in a rotation here, not featured.  He wants to go somewhere he can put up big stats and be on the field a lot in order to get a big payday. Another 3 or 4 sack season and his search for a big contract will be all but lost.  He needs to hit at least 9, and preferably double digits for the first time in his career in order to get anywhere close to what he wants.  

And yes I know he makes a bigger impact than just "sacks", but when you want his kind of money he is seeking, you need the stats to get the check.  

• Like (+1) 1