Is QB the most mentally taxing position in sports?

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's not like they're running 150 mph.  They're driving a car.

There's a big difference between you hitting 100 on the wide open Thruway, and a driver topping 200 with cars along side them at Talladega.

Most mentally taxing? No, but it is nothing to scoff. World class drivers are big time athletes.

26 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

There's a big difference between you hitting 100 on the wide open Thruway, and a driver topping 200 with cars along side them at Talladega.

Most mentally taxing? No, but it is nothing to scoff. World class drivers are big time athletes.

Have one of those woodchucks drive a Nissan Versa Note 85 MPH between two big rigs on the highway during torrential downpours then have them come talk to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a good call. 

I think that there are other roles that are more individualized roles in team sports that are tougher. Kicker is worse for example. Yes, I know that you can talk about the snap or hold for a kicker but it is still dependent on the kicker 95% of the time. He’s less reliant on the other 10 players than the QB. A pitcher in baseball is too. A goalie would fit as well for me. QB is tough but there are a lot of other people that can either elevate a QB or let him down. That’s not the case with some of these others. 

Add catcher to that list.  There are a lot of moving parts to assess at any giving time to make the right call for the situation.

QB is certainly on it too.  A lot of info to process.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Add catcher to that list.  There are a lot of moving parts to assess at any giving time to make the right call for the situation.

QB is certainly on it too.  A lot of info to process.  

I'll also add closers, specifically, to the baseball themed answers.  Also, relievers who are brought in with men in scoring position when their team is clinging to a lead.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We should contact the Earl of Sandwich ? One might consider this to be in his realm of influence, ??but then again a hot dog  ? is a sausage, so a Germanic culinary base of knowledge would be helpful in deciding such a question of high importance. Me, if you put food between bread ? it’s a sandwich ???, beer, now beer is important when sandwiches are being considered... 

discuss

Go Bills!!!

No further questions, your honor. :beer:

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

ah yes.

Retired Major League Baseball Star CC Sabathia Weight Loss Photo

Obsessive Carlos Silva Fat Watch: He's Workin' On It | Bleacher Nation
Jonathan Broxton - Wikipedia

At 40, Colon Continues to Defy Time and Weight - The New York Times

795f99677ae711e96eb8bd837f6feaaf.gif

I missed my calling. 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:A pitcher in baseball is too.

I would argue catcher is more mentally taxing than pitcher. You’ve got to manage a whole staff of pitchers, know their tendencies, and the other lineup’s tendencies. Catcher is also the one single player with a view of the entire field and has to keep an eye on his defense too. I think it’s why many great managers are former catchers. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Good points all. I tend to agree with both actually, otherwise you’re right, Fitzy would be HOF bound as a starter, not off the bench, for instance. You’ve got to have enough skill plus mental acumen as a balance regardless. 

Yeah both Marino and Jim Kelly I think scored low on that test, so what does that tell you?

I've always though the intelligence aspect with Fitz was overrated.  I'd say his work ethic and personality is how he was able to have as lengthy a career as he's had.  And when can you honestly remember a teammate ever saying anything bad about him?  He had Stevie's back after the dropped pass versus the Steelers.  Used to routinely throw blocks for Spiller against defenders.

I mean I guess you can say that requires intelligence to adapt to all the new teams he's had over the years but I think that's more to do with being flexible.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not so much, say, being a driver of a formula one car and knowing if you F up you can kill yourself and or others would  be considered more taxing....When does a QB find his actions life threatening for himself or others?  So , no not the most taxing, difficult? Yes it can be, more so for some than others. 

While I agree, you'll always get those that say driving cars isn't a sport.

15 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not so much, say, being a driver of a formula one car and knowing if you F up you can kill yourself and or others would  be considered more taxing....When does a QB find his actions life threatening for himself or others?  So , no not the most taxing, difficult? Yes it can be, more so for some than others. 

Look at some of the bad headshots QB's have taken throughout the years. Dont sit here and tell me you cant F up as a NFL QB and not get hurt, bad. 

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

While I agree, you'll always get those that say driving cars isn't a sport.

true enough, until they find the required stamina and fatigue that go hand in hand more than they can endure. 

37 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Look at some of the bad headshots QB's have taken throughout the years. Dont sit here and tell me you cant F up as a NFL QB and not get hurt, bad. 

We are talking death here. 

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is QB the most taxing position in sports? It's close enough to make no difference. Focus on Tom Brady. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/12/tom-brady-tampa-bay-buccaneers-playbooks-nfl-quarterback?

The sub-headline of the article focuses on fiendish complexity. And if that's the measure, then yeah, it probably is the most complex.

Are they instead talking about pressure? About mental toughness? Something else? If so, maybe not. Nearly any role with so much resting on it, as it does in pro sports, is pressure-packed.

11 hours ago, LB48 said:

Place Kicker!  You sit around all game and then are expected to make a 50 yard FG to tie or win a game.

K is in the discussion, I'd agree.

Your scenario, plus, let's be honest. Unless you're a legendary K you're mostly looked down upon by most. Player and fan.

NHL goaltender

Literally every point the other team gets is because you were beaten.

You alone have the ability to prevent any and every loss.

It’s your job to pad up and block pieces of vulcanized rubber moving at ridiculous speeds.

There’s no wonder they’re among the most superstitious athletes on the planet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Of course gymnasts, race car drivers, world class sailors, etc. are all mentally taxing.

But the context of your question, Tom Brady learning the playbook, leads to a different question: Is quarterback the most scholarly and reactive positions in professional sports?

I should say yes. Mastering the 500 page playbook, and being able to apply that knowledge in micro-seconds under pressure  before and after the snap is unique in sports.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

NHL goaltender

Literally every point the other team gets is because you were beaten.

You alone have the ability to prevent any and every loss.

It’s your job to pad up and block pieces of vulcanized rubber moving at ridiculous speeds.

There’s no wonder they’re among the most superstitious athletes on the planet.

This is my answer everytime- QBs are controlling the action if they do it right while a Hockey Goalie must be reading his players, the other team all while going split seconds to save pucks without control of situation. QB the intelligence off the field is more important than on field.