Is QB the most mentally taxing position in sports?

58 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

From the sheer volume of diagrammed play information, blocking assignments, options, etc that an NFL qb is expected to master in order to be effective in his role, I’d say that takes the cake for taxing; however, for stress in the moment, I can’t think of anything worse than the pressure of a match deciding penalty/free kick in World Cup soccer, or being the goalie in that moment, as the eyes of basically the entire world watch and a whole nation will figuratively live or die on that outcome...with no redemption possible for at least 4 years ?

The QB position is certainly a mentally & physically demanding position - but clearly it must take more than "intelligence" to master the position. If a high intellect was actually required to excel at the NFL QB position - then how is it possible that such mental giants such as Lamar Jackson or Dan Marino have been able to perform at high levels in the position after squeezing out wonderlic scores in the vicinity of 13? Perhaps IQ is overrated as an indicator of QB success - or perhaps the Wonderlic test is so flawed that it is worthless.   

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

The QB position is certainly a mentally & physically demanding position - but clearly it must take more than "intelligence" to master the position. If a high intellect was actually required to excel at the NFL QB position - then how is it possible that such mental giants such as Lamar Jackson or Dan Marino have been able to perform at high levels in the position after squeezing out wonderlic scores in the vicinity of 13? Perhaps IQ is overrated as an indicator of QB success - or perhaps the Wonderlic test is so flawed that it is worthless.   

Good points all. I tend to agree with both actually, otherwise you’re right, Fitzy would be HOF bound as a starter, not off the bench, for instance. You’ve got to have enough skill plus mental acumen as a balance regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I think the wonderlic wasn't taken as seriously back then when Marino played. And I think some players still don't take it that seriously. And the questions don't have much to do with football. You might not be able to do word problems or math in your head quickly, but you might be able to process the chaos on the football field quickly.

I think Lamar is helped out a lot by the offense he is in. He is an athletic freak, though.

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Use whatever single word to describe it, but it’s the most difficult position to play at a consistently high level in all of professional sports. 

I would put hockey goalie up there too as far as an incredibly difficult position to play at a high level. They have to process things incredibly fast and have near superhuman reactions and body control. Plus they have to be flexible and be willing to take hits from hard pucks flying 105 mph.

I would agree that some race car drivers are more mentally-taxed throughout the duration of a race than any athlete anywhere. But I also think a majority of them are so fearless that you could conclude they're actually sociopaths, and aren't inclined to be stressed about much of anything. I would argue that a "closer" in MLB could be the most stressful role in sports. These guys have to sit there all game long waiting for their chance. And then some of these guys go off the deep-end or flame out when they fail-  see Donnie Moore, Calvin Shiraldi, Mitch Williams, etc. That's why I think Mariano Rivera may be the greatest athlete over the last 25 years.

I would think MMA would be rather taxing.  TRying to put someone to sleep who is trying to kill you has got to be up there in stress.

The old hockey fighters talk about high stress.  You sit there on the bench most of the night knowing any second you might get tapped on the shoulder and have to go out and drop the gloves.

I'd say the example of a Formula 1 driver is very good. Life or death (or severe injury) if you concentration is off just a little bit.  Most people who deny that are just people who are not that familiar with F1 or most other high end forms of racing and don't want to do the research on it.

Taxing in a different way? I'd say a goalie on a big-time Soccer team...European league...for your country in the World cup.  Why a Soccer goalie?  Letting in one single goal can be the difference between being a national hero and getting legit death threats from crazy soccer fans.

This is a tough question because 'taxing' could mean so many things...pressure?  Difficulty? Danger?  

Edited by mjd1001

Golfers. It's the most mentally challenging game, by far, requiring the mental toughness necessary to repeatedly make consistent swings and putts. And for pros, they're alone, no teammates, and are not guaranteed a paycheck. So take a job where you have to compete for a paycheck every week by being able to hit a little round ball into a little round hole by making the same, consistent swings week in and week out and you have an athlete that is mentally taxed in terms of mastering the physical requirements and psychologically challenged by the grind of having to earn a paycheck week in and week out, year in and year out.  No contest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not so much, say, being a driver of a formula one car and knowing if you F up you can kill yourself and or others would  be considered more taxing....When does a QB find his actions life threatening for himself or others?  So , no not the most taxing, difficult? Yes it can be, more so for some than others. 

The op's question was about sports.

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Captain of a sailboat in a world cup race.

I also thought of a skipper in an America's Cup race. These things "fly" at speeds up to 50 mph, and you have to coordinate 11 guys to keep it on course.

52 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The op's question was about sports.

I see, you crazy football nerd you, ?

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, zonabb said:

Golfers. It's the most mentally challenging game, by far, requiring the mental toughness necessary to repeatedly make consistent swings and putts. And for pros, they're alone, no teammates, and are not guaranteed a paycheck. So take a job where you have to compete for a paycheck every week by being able to hit a little round ball into a little round hole by making the same, consistent swings week in and week out and you have an athlete that is mentally taxed in terms of mastering the physical requirements and psychologically challenged by the grind of having to earn a paycheck week in and week out, year in and year out.  No contest

Golf? Like the game where not even the fans are aloud to make noise? I'd put that sport in the bottom tier of mental stress. You have old men able to play at a high level. It's about muscle memory and concentration.

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not so much, say, being a driver of a formula one car and knowing if you F up you can kill yourself and or others would  be considered more taxing....When does a QB find his actions life threatening for himself or others?  So , no not the most taxing, difficult? Yes it can be, more so for some than others. 

Is driving a car really a sport?

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Is driving a car really a sport?

At 150 mph, sure is, there ain’t no weak fat boys in formula one...just think about the 24 hours of Le Mann’s average speed of 140 mph and peaks of 240 mph... no weaklings doing that for a living. ??

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Good points all. I tend to agree with both actually, otherwise you’re right, Fitzy would be HOF bound as a starter, not off the bench, for instance. You’ve got to have enough skill plus mental acumen as a balance regardless. 

Fitz's smarts have landed him over 30,000 passing yards and 200 passing touchdowns

It wasn't his football gifts that got him all that. It was his work ethic and IQ for the game

if he had physical gifts of Josh Allen or Aaron Rodgers or jameis Winston he would be a Hall of famer

38 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

At 150 mph, sure is, there ain’t no weak fat boys in formula one...just think about the 24 hours of Le Mann’s average speed of 140 mph and peaks of 240 mph... no weaklings doing that for a living. ??

Go Bills!!!

It's not like they're running 150 mph.  They're driving a car.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's not like they're running 150 mph.  They're driving a car.

Let’s discuss golf not being a sport, ? cause having someone else carrying your gear while walking in a park like setting certainly cannot be confused with an athletic endeavor... right... ??