Is QB the most mentally taxing position in sports?

Not so much, say, being a driver of a formula one car and knowing if you F up you can kill yourself and or others would  be considered more taxing....When does a QB find his actions life threatening for himself or others?  So , no not the most taxing, difficult? Yes it can be, more so for some than others. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Not so much, say, being a driver of a formula one car and knowing if you F up you can kill yourself and or others would  be considered more taxing....When does a QB find his actions life threatening for himself or others?  So , no not the most taxing, difficult? Yes it can be, more so for some than others. 

This is a good call. 

I think that there are other roles that are more individualized roles in team sports that are tougher. Kicker is worse for example. Yes, I know that you can talk about the snap or hold for a kicker but it is still dependent on the kicker 95% of the time. He’s less reliant on the other 10 players than the QB. A pitcher in baseball is too. A goalie would fit as well for me. QB is tough but there are a lot of other people that can either elevate a QB or let him down. That’s not the case with some of these others. 

• Like (+1) 3

I have to agree with Don Otreply. Overall, being a NASCAR or Formula One driver takes way more brain power and mental agility than any other sport out there and I am saying that as someone that doesn't really watch the sport let alone has ever even thought of ever trying to be a driver.

Now, all that being said; the article is about a man that has the mental acuity of a slug or earthworm so I wouldn't put to much stock in the writers acknowledgment of the complexities in the Tampa play book.  

Edited by BigPappy
  • Haha (+1) 2

I do think the QB position is exceedingly difficult how much information they have to process so quickly, but the other examples are valid.  Another athlete that requires a great deal of pressure, has to strive to be perfect are Olympic Gymnasts.  They have to be flawless to win a good medal.  It requires an entire life completely focused on their craft and is rigorous.

Driving a race car takes focus for sure but that’s not the same thing. I’ve driven a race car on a test track and it’s certainly draining but the decision making isn’t that much different than when you drive on the freeway with a bunch of idiots around you on all sides. 

• Like (+1) 2

As Bruce Lee said, “Boards don’t fight back.” Race tracks are rigid; they rarely change. Le Mans, Indy, Bristol are relatively the same year in and year out. Granted drivers approach it somewhat differently but have the same goal, to get around it as safely as possible. Results aren’t necessarily guaranteed but there is a pretty standard outcome.

Football on the other hand is rather similar to the old war adage that a plan is great until the enemy shows up. A QB has to know hundreds of plays and thousands of assignments and then in seconds be able to decide if the right call has been made before the ball is snapped. Once that happens, mayhem breaks loose. Execution is required in two to three seconds after that. The right execution. Reads, progressions, checkdowns: all of this while a large angry man or men bear down on you with intent to harm. 
You can’t hear much, your adrenaline is through the roof and everyone is counting on you to make the play. That sounds rather taxing to me ....but so does going 200 miles an hour a couple of feet from another car or cars.??‍♀️

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

If you're defining "taxing" as stressful, then yes, I can't imagine anything more stressful.  You have to be 100% focused all the time.  I think an NFL QB probably has to process more information from the huddle through the snap and the completion of a play.  He has to know what he's supposed to do on a particular play, how that can be affected by what the defense does, and what his receivers are supposed to do, and where his protection is.  If receivers aren't doing what they're supposed to, he has to be able to spot that and make adjustments, as he does for the defense.

• Like (+1) 2

It depends on what you mean. QB's do have to process a lot of information presnap and postsnap. They have to deal with a ton of chaos including giant men fighting and scratching and clawing to get to them and destroy them.

They also have to do a ton of preparation work so that they can recognize what is happening on the field. A lot of QB's aren't mentally prepared for that at the NFL level.

If we are talking mental stress, yeah you can point to other sports I suppose. But as far as processing and retaining information, QB has to be up there.

• Like (+1) 1

From the sheer volume of diagrammed play information, blocking assignments, options, etc that an NFL qb is expected to master in order to be effective in his role, I’d say that takes the cake for taxing; however, for stress in the moment, I can’t think of anything worse than the pressure of a match deciding penalty/free kick in World Cup soccer, or being the goalie in that moment, as the eyes of basically the entire world watch and a whole nation will figuratively live or die on that outcome...with no redemption possible for at least 4 years ?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is QB the most taxing position in sports? It's close enough to make no difference. Focus on Tom Brady. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/12/tom-brady-tampa-bay-buccaneers-playbooks-nfl-quarterback?

No, being a fan is the most taxing...

Thankfully we have paid our dues and it's our time for a dynasty!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

From the sheer volume of diagrammed play information, blocking assignments, options, etc that an NFL qb is expected to master in order to be effective in his role, I’d say that takes the cake for taxing; however, for stress in the moment, I can’t think of anything worse than the pressure of a match deciding penalty/free kick in World Cup soccer, or being the goalie in that moment, as the eyes of basically the entire world watch and a whole nation will figuratively live or die on that outcome...with no redemption possible for at least 4 years ?

I don't think there is as much pressure for the goalie. It's more like if you actually manage a stop then everyone will be amazed. If you can't I think people realize that it is tough. But as the one making the kick it is expected that you make it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

discuss

We should contact the Earl of Sandwich ? One might consider this to be in his realm of influence, ??but then again a hot dog  ? is a sausage, so a Germanic culinary base of knowledge would be helpful in deciding such a question of high importance. Me, if you put food between bread ? it’s a sandwich ???, beer, now beer is important when sandwiches are being considered... 

discuss

Go Bills!!!