Who wins the kicking job and how do they simulate game pressure ?

Locomark

Will Bass win the job?

How will the team simulate games / pressure in a way that they can comfortably decide to go with the rookie ?  

Do they toss Bass on the practice squad ? 

If they pick Bass, do they try to keep Hauschka on the practice squad and protect him as insurance ? 

Hausch is a heavy favourite to win the job IMO. Huge risk to go with a rookie who has never kicked even in a pre-season game and start putting your fate in his hands. Hausch remains almost automatic from inside 50 so you just don't ask him to try anything longer. 

However, I think there is a very good chance given the situation that they keep both on the 53. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

Will Bass win the job?

How will the team simulate games / pressure in a way that they can comfortably decide to go with the rookie ?  

If they pick Bass, do they try to keep Hauschka on the practice squad and protect him as insurance ? 

there may be no game pressure, at least from opposing fans. I’m sure the Bills’ coaches know a million and one ways to freak out a kicker in practice and see what he’s got. Fwiw, my money’s on Bass beating out Hauschka, but i’m not 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hausch is a heavy favourite to win the job IMO. Huge risk to go with a rookie who has never kicked even in a pre-season game and start putting your fate in his hands. Hausch remains almost automatic from inside 50 so you just don't ask him to try anything longer. 

However, I think there is a very good chance given the situation that they keep both on the 53. 

When a team drafts a kicker it’s a little different than a typical 6th round pick.  Unless Bass has been terrible in camp I think he absolutely makes the 53.  I hear and somewhat agree with what you’re saying about “trusting” a rookie K without any in-game experience but they all have to cut their teeth at some point.

You can bet your bottom dollar that when pads go on next week and they’re trying to simulate game situations they’ll be pressuring both of these guys, and I believe that will dictate whether Hauschka stays as the “short” kicker or they hand the job to Bass outright.

15 minutes ago, eball said:

When a team drafts a kicker it’s a little different than a typical 6th round pick.  Unless Bass has been terrible in camp I think he absolutely makes the 53.  I hear and somewhat agree with what you’re saying about “trusting” a rookie K without any in-game experience but they all have to cut their teeth at some point.

You can bet your bottom dollar that when pads go on next week and they’re trying to simulate game situations they’ll be pressuring both of these guys, and I believe that will dictate whether Hauschka stays as the “short” kicker or they hand the job to Bass outright.

I wouldn't underestimate how much this regime loves Hausch. Bass would have to unequivocally and undisputedly beat him out in every facet to win the job outright I think. With this staff I think ties go to Hausch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hauschka wins the job but Bass is staying around one way or another.   I think its most likely on the practice squad.   They dont tend to give up on their draft picks quickly.  They save 2.5 million on the cap by releasing Hauschka next year and with the potential of a lower salary cap in 2021 I expect Bass to be the guy then.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Locomark said:

Will Bass win the job?

Will Bass win the job? I Doubt it. As someone else mentioned, i don't think you go with a rookie kicker when you can't even see how he does in a preseason game let alone one that counts. 

How will the team simulate games / pressure in a way that they can comfortably decide to go with the rookie ?: Coach has already discussed this in interviews regarding all the players. They can do a variety of things including playing for a no pads day or a walk through day, or even a rest day. 

Do they toss Bass on the practice squad ?: Probably not pick him as the starter bit I could see him being included in the 53 rather than practice squad. As a side note though, I think you will see far less of teams picking players from other teams practice squads this year since it will be such an effort for them bring them into facilities to join the their team. Instead, I think teams will stick to their own practice squad players and fill their team needs mainly through their own squad players as \ if needed. 

If they pick Bass, do they try to keep Hauschka on the practice squad and protect him as insurance ? Hauschka is not eligible for PS.

Edited by BigPappy
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Chris Brown was talking about this the other day on One Bills Live & said just due to the fact that Haushka has the experience at being clutch the couple that with the fact that there will be no preseason games for Bass to prove he can be clutch under pressure that that alone could lose him the job .

But they did say because he has such a strong leg and can put it out of the end zone on kick offs most all the time and Haushka has a harder time getting it out of the end zone that could be a factor in who wins the job .

I guess it will come down to what McD see's from them in camp and all you all say preseason games are useless ?

13 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Will Bass win the job? I Doubt it. As someone else mentioned, i don't think you go with a rookie kicker when you can't even see how he does in a preseason game let alone one that counts. 

How will the team simulate games / pressure in a way that they can comfortably decide to go with the rookie ?: Coach has already discussed this in interviews regarding all the players. They can do a variety of things including playing for a no pads day or a walk through day, or even a rest day. 

Do they toss Bass on the practice squad ?: Probably not pick him as the starter bit I could see him being included in the 53 rather than practice squad. As a side note though, I think you will see far less of teams picking players from other teams practice squads this year since it will be such an effort for them bring them into facilities to join the their team. Instead, I think teams will stick to their own practice squad players and fill their team needs mainly through their own squad players as \ if needed. 

If they pick Bass, do they try to keep Hauschka on the practice squad and protect him as insurance ? Hauschka is not eligible for PS.

Good points Pappy.  You may have not seen it, but they announced on July 20th NFL teams can have up to 6 veteran players on the PS for 2020, given the issues with COVID.  Just an FYI.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Good points Pappy.  You may have not seen it, but they announced on July 20th NFL teams can have up to 6 veteran players on the PS for 2020, given the issues with COVID.  Just an FYI.

Thanks Machine Gun. You are correct sir. I did not see that announcement in July. I just looked it up. This is good news indeed. expanded to 16 players. I appreciate the info.

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't underestimate how much this regime loves Hausch. Bass would have to unequivocally and undisputedly beat him out in every facet to win the job outright I think. With this staff I think ties go to Hausch. 

So much love they tried to claim Chase McLaughlin

6 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Thanks Machine Gun. You are correct sir. I did not see that announcement in July. I just looked it up. This is good news indeed. expanded to 16 players. I appreciate the info.

They also get to protect some too (I think it might be 4) so no on can ever claim them 

• Like (+1) 1