Cody Ford: no preference on position. Will do whatever coaches want.

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Most likely yeah... I think Ford has bigger potential and a way higher ceiling.. I heard someone compare him to Richie Incognito at RG which I feel is pretty accurate..

hey i like ford too but starting him at guard based on potential this year against a guy that has started for multiple years at the position in question seems like something they wouldn’t do. If the team was full rebuild mode I would definitely see it. 

12 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

hey i like ford too but starting him at guard based on potential this year against a guy that has started for multiple years at the position in question seems like something they wouldn’t do. If the team was full rebuild mode I would definitely see it. 

You really think Winters would be a better guard than Ford? It’s not like Ford has zero experience and once again he has a very good pedigree to grow and be an above average guard. Winters was released by the Jets...  

15 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

You really think Winters would be a better guard than Ford? It’s not like Ford has zero experience and once again he has a very good pedigree to grow and be an above average guard. Winters was released by the Jets...  

Winters is fine at guard and the jury is still out on Ford in general. He was a rookie ffs. If you think the jury is in on Ford at guard after one year why is the jury still out on him at RT?

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Winters has had injury issues the past 3 years so Ford might end up playing anyway.  Again I'd concentrate on Williams at RT and have Ford compete there and at RG.

That’s a good point on the injuries but come week 1 i’m just saying i’d be surprised if winters and spain aren’t the starting guards. Anytime Winters hasn’t been hurt he’s started right? I’m advocating for another chance for Ford at RT. I don’t want him languishing on the bench.

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Winters is fine at guard and the jury is still out on Ford in general. He was a rookie ffs. If you think the jury is in on Ford at guard after one year why is the jury still out on him at RT?

Winters is a Jets castoff.... their line really isn’t that good. Ford was projected as a first round pick by many and we had to trade up and get him early in the second round. Then you have to factor in that Ford started for us last year so there is more continuity on the line. This is his second year under Bobby Johnson so he has more familiarity with the audibles and blocking formations and playbook. Ford is also 23 and Winters is 29. Ford has 3 more years on his deal, Winters has 1. Ford is clearly not a RT, he is too slow, but he has so much power in his game that he’d be a natural at guard. We are a team built to win now but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t develop our younger players because after all we are still a very young team.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

That’s a good point on the injuries but come week 1 i’m just saying i’d be surprised if winters and spain aren’t the starting guards. Anytime Winters hasn’t been hurt he’s started right? I’m advocating for another chance for Ford at RT. I don’t want him languishing on the bench.

Yeah.  Unless Cody appears to be equal.

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Winters is a Jets castoff.... their line really isn’t that good. Ford was projected as a first round pick by many and we had to trade up and get him early in the second round. Then you have to factor in that Ford started for us last year so there is more continuity on the line. This is his second year under Bobby Johnson so he has more familiarity with the audibles and blocking formations and playbook. Ford is also 23 and Winters is 29. Ford has 3 more years on his deal, Winters has 1. Ford is clearly not a RT, he is too slow, but he has so much power in his game that he’d be a natural at guard. We are a team built to win now but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t develop our younger players because after all we are still a very young team.

all good points - I’d say the jets line wasn’t terrible for his whole tenure there though. We’ll see. If they signed Winters for depth after Feliciano got hurt I get it of course. I’m just not as quick to dismiss Ford at RT as you are. 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah.  Unless Cody appears to be equal.

of course. Winters is here for the short term I have no doubt about that.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Ford is a player.  He is going to justify the Bills confidence in him sooner than later.

I sure hope so. I’m trying not to destroy the kid, only because the opposition is doing enough of that for everyone.  While rewatching the game, I was focusing on the right side. While he a couple nice blocks on their best runs of the day, overall he was overwhelmed in the run game imo.  He needs to be better.  I was hoping for more. Lots more.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I sure hope so. I’m trying not to destroy the kid, only because the opposition is doing enough of that for everyone.  While rewatching the game, I was focusing on the right side. While he a couple nice blocks on their best runs of the day, overall he was overwhelmed in the run game imo.  He needs to be better.  I was hoping for more. Lots more.  

They faced a very good defensive line, though. It's like the only good thing about that Jets team.

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

They faced a very good defensive line, though. It's like the only good thing about that Jets team.

No doubt.  I’m optimistic that Sundays play doesn’t represent what we’ll see from him on a weekly basis.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Well the Athletic certainly doesn't agree with you!