Gunner's roster thread.... 2020 style - UPDATED

GunnerBill

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Red does not mean "cut" but I agree he should probably be in blue. He is more likely than not to make it. 

OK I see, I misunderstood the color scheme. I think there is very little chance either Neal or Johnson do not make the roster.

21 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Probably one of the easier seasons to call, with the amount of continuity from last season, and the struggles of new players to make the 53.

I see you have Siran Neal down as a corner. I know he has that position flex, but he's listed as a safety, and I believe played after last season. I don't recall him playing corner at all last season, unless it was at nickel, and I missed it.

I'm surprised you have Taiwan Jones in red. I never liked him as a Bill, frankly, but I think they made a concerted effort to improve on ST, and I think he's a part of that. I would think he would be in blue.

Neal plays in the "Big Nickel" package the Bills like to use a lot and also played corner when Taron Johnson missed some time...

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Neal plays in the "Big Nickel" package the Bills like to use a lot and also played corner when Taron Johnson missed some time...

They play the big nickel about 15% of snaps . So I wouldn't say it's used alot but it's used in specific situations

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They play the big nickel about 15% of snaps . So I wouldn't say it's used alot but it's used in specific situations

Should have probably used a better choice of words than saying "a lot".  I seem to remember seeing it in 2nd and long situations quite a bit where a run was still a possibility and Big Nickel was a good tradeoff between playing the pass in Nickel and being more vulnerable to the run.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Should have probably used a better choice of words than saying "a lot".  I seem to remember seeing it in 2nd and long situations quite a bit where a run was still a possibility and Big Nickel was a good tradeoff between playing the pass in Nickel and being more vulnerable to the run.

It definitely has some situations where it is a good defensive personnel grouping

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I definitely want him to be gone. He’s a miserable football player that makes huge mistakes. He committed 8 penalties despite playing less than 30% of the offensive snaps!!  That’s absolutely atrocious. He had twice as many penalties as catches. He’s a great blocking TE but not as good of a blocker as an extra OL. He’s not a threat at all as a receiver. He was targeted 5 times. I just don’t see how that guy can be considered a lock or even likely? 

In terms of a backup long snapper you can keep a guy on the PS if you want (maybe even Smith). If you have that last minute Covid to Ferguson you activate the guy from the PS. That feels easy.

The one thing that a lot of us are missing are the intangibles that players like Lee Smith brings to the team.

Sean McDermott brings players in for specific reasons. He loves Lee Smith as a leader, moreso than as a player. If Smith makes the roster, don't be surprised if he becomes a team captain.

The same can be said for players like Taiwan Jones, Patrick DiMarco & Tyler Matakevich. These players are primarily used on Special Teams, instead of their normal positions.

I personally think that we could find better players than Lee Smith & Taiwan Jones, but I understand why McDermott has them on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah, Gunner pointed that out to me, as well. He is still listed as a safety, of course, and was in at safety for his sack against Rodgers, and was in at S week 17 vs. the Jets. I honestly don't know which he played more-- nickel, or BU safety. Of course, ST was his wheelhouse. All that being said, I certainly disagree with him in red, for the sake of this discussion, especially on a list that has Jaquan Johnson in black. Siran was far more productive for the Bills last season, and I don't know why that wouldn't continue into this season.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And to block. And to give them a backup option to longsnap in a world where your long snapper could go on the covid list and 2 minutes notice. 

I get it, fans don't like Lee Smith. They better get used to the idea he will be here. 

In this covid year, I'm wondering whether OL injuries and positive pre-game tests might force teams to insert a LS or TE as an emergency starting OLineman, like at RT or RG maybe?

He could probably cause the least mischief there, and have better players play LT and RT if those starters are suddenly out. 

Do you think (or think they think) Lee Smith is good enough to be this versatile / valuable?  If so, he's a LOCK.

Like it @GunnerBill Might be tough in a preseason like we see but with the ST and versitility of FB/TE what would you think of swapping 

Patrick DiMarco FB Reggie Gilliam FB as you have them?  Watch for them to stash Reggie on the PS for a movement towards youth. As I said, hard to call with the limited showing in this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

In this covid year, I'm wondering whether OL injuries and positive pre-game tests might force teams to insert a LS or TE as an emergency starting OLineman, like at RT or RG maybe?

He could probably cause the least mischief there, and have better players play LT and RT if those starters are suddenly out. 

Do you think (or think they think) Lee Smith is good enough to be this versatile / valuable?  If so, he's a LOCK.

Lee Smith believes he's capable of subbing in at O-line. He said exactly that in an interview last season.

19 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Like it @GunnerBill Might be tough in a preseason like we see but with the ST and versitility of FB/TE what would you think of swapping 

Patrick DiMarco FB Reggie Gilliam FB as you have them?  Watch for them to stash Reggie on the PS for a movement towards youth. As I said, hard to call with the limited showing in this season. 

Good post 88.  I agree and would say that by next season a lot of these "wrong side of 30" guys will be gone.

I know McDermott wanted the older leaders in the past but the younger guys will taking over leadership roles.

I put Lee Smith/Taiwan Jones/Andre Roberts in the same category with DiMarco.

I also agree that the shortened off season has been a damper on some of these moves.

It will be real interesting to see what happens at cut down time. 

On 8/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Good post 88.  I agree and would say that by next season a lot of these "wrong side of 30" guys will be gone.

I know McDermott wanted the older leaders in the past but the younger guys will taking over leadership roles.

I put Lee Smith/Taiwan Jones/Andre Roberts in the same category with DiMarco.

I also agree that the shortened off season has been a damper on some of these moves.

It will be real interesting to see what happens at cut down time. 

Image may contain: text that says 'CHARGE Sal Capaccio On FB Reggie Gilliam, Heath Farwel said he's been impressive in "all phases of special teams. Called ita "great battle" between Gilliam and veteran FB Pat DiMarco. @ToledoFB'

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

People on here definitely undervalue Murphy. He’s a lot better then he gets credit for. Absolutely he needs to stay healthy, but he’s a better player then most people seem to thing.

I think that this is certainly true and I am one of those people. Late last year Murphy was plying really good football. He isn’t very good against the run but he’s a good pass rusher. He will help this team if healthy.

Looking at Gunner's roster, the OL is now what can be considered solid/good. The receivers are very good. Running backs have potential to be game winners.

The defence as we know is legit top 5.

Playing devil's advocate, you could say everything is in place for Allen to succeed but also for if he doesn't take the step we're hoping for and expecting. If Allen's play takes a step backwards (not beyond the realms of possibility) and we're looking at a new QB this time next year they will be coming into an organisation with a strong set up for a new QB. Totally different to 2018. 

Please don't take this is Allen bashing. I like him. I think he's a good QB with through the roof potential and balls bigger than King Kong. Potential isn't always realised though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Based upon Farwell’s comments yesterday I think Taiwan Jones and Siran Neal can go to black, and DiMarco moves to red.

Siran to black. Jones to blue (do think he is likely to beat out Yeldon), DiMarco still think blue. I think they probably think they can get the rookie FB on the PS.

• Like (+1) 1