McDermott contract extension

Estro

On 8/12/2020 at 1:05 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Wow. When is the last time we extended a head coach? 

when is the last time we had a Head Coach worth extending ? No need to answer that one.
Been awhile  for sure
Love this Organization.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

The Russ, Whaley, and Monos parts are so cringey now after knowing what happened. Especially Whaley and Monos. They didn’t look like they knew they were on the way out. Sucking up to McD pretty good there. 

I don't think they did know at that point. But I think Sean was always hell bent on bringing Brandon Beane with him. And he quickly overtook Whaley in the Pegulas' affections. And Berchtold too by the way. I think Sean knew very early he couldn't stay.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think they did know at that point. But I think Sean was always hell bent on bringing Brandon Beane with him. And he quickly overtook Whaley in the Pegulas' affections. And Berchtold too by the way. I think Sean knew very early he couldn't stay.

I agree. I don’t think they knew either. I’m not as big of a Whaley hater as some others (not good as a GM, but a decent talent evaluator), but that whole regime didn’t exactly set the bar very high. Knowing what we now know about McD, and coming off Rex, I can see how his messaging and “the process” would’ve been very refreshing to the Pegulas. To your point, with his approach, it didn’t take long for him to build credibility in the building and oust the others.

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheProcess said:

I agree. I don’t think they knew either. I’m not as big of a Whaley hater as some others (not good as a GM, but a decent talent evaluator), but that whole regime didn’t exactly set the bar very high. Knowing what we now know about McD, and coming off Rex, I can see how his messaging and “the process” would’ve been very refreshing to the Pegulas. To your point, with his approach, it didn’t take long for him to build credibility in the building and oust the others.

And I have done culture change as a semi pro soccer coach. I have talked about it before, it is darn hard. The Bills had been losing so long losing become ingrained in every person in the building. Sometimes (and I know I did) you have to get people who are not necessarily bad at their jobs off the boat just because they have that losing in them. They become used to it and start accepting it. The one example I always think of with the Bills is Rob Hanrahan who was the Director of Pro Personnel Department which even the Whaley haters accept was doing a fine job in his time here. He had worked his way up through the organisation and was good at his job, but they cleaned house because they wanted a fresh start. Interestingly he landed as Assistant Director of Pro Personnel at the Carolina Panthers and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if McDermott had put a good word in for him there.

I sacked a goalkeeping coach and a physio who I knew were good at their jobs when I was doing the soccer role. But it took me 2 months after arriving to realise that changing the culture was impossible when you have people who are talented but have accepted losing. Losing should sting. It should hurt. It should ruin your weekend. It should make feel almost physically sick. If it doesn't then you have a problem. Both went on to find other jobs and the change of scenery was good for them. The physio I still see now he goes to my gym and he completely agrees with my assessment of what happened. The goalkeeping coach took it worse unfortunately and whenever we played against the team he moved to he would blank me. Was a shame. But hey, I had to get the ship turned around.

• Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I have done culture change as a semi pro soccer coach. I have talked about it before, it is darn hard. The Bills had been losing so long losing become ingrained in every person in the building. Sometimes (and I know I did) you have to get people who are not necessarily bad at their jobs off the boat just because they have that losing in them. They become used to it and start accepting it. The one example I always think of with the Bills is Rob Hanrahan who was the Director of Pro Personnel Department which even the Whaley haters accept was doing a fine job in his time here. He had worked his way up through the organisation and was good at his job, but they cleaned house because they wanted a fresh start. Interestingly he landed as Assistant Director of Pro Personnel at the Carolina Panthers and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if McDermott had put a good word in for him there.

I sacked a goalkeeping coach and a physio who I knew were good at their jobs when I was doing the soccer role. But it took me 2 months after arriving to realise that changing the culture was impossible when you have people who are talented but have accepted losing. Losing should sting. It should hurt. It should ruin your weekend. It should make feel almost physically sick. If it doesn't then you have a problem. Both went on to find other jobs and the change of scenery was good for them. The physio I still see now he goes to my gym and he completely agrees with my assessment of what happened. The goalkeeping coach took it worse unfortunately and whenever we played against the team he moved to he would blank me. Was a shame. But hey, I had to get the ship turned around.

Great example and thank you for sharing! I completely agree. Losing is an infectious disease and the Bills were at it so long they absolutely needed a complete cleansing. Top to bottom, they’d accepted it. Sure, they’d try to shake things up and clean house over the years when they knew they had no choice, but it was always the wrong guy.

The sad part for all of us having to live through it is with every change in head coach/GM it brought hope that they’d finally get it right, while consistently being let down and disappointed. I’ve been a Bills fan forever and I’d always hoped they’d luck into a guy like McD during the later Ralph years. A guy that could truly save the franchise and turn things around. Ralph wasn’t a bad guy, but he was complicit (or cheap as we like to call it ?). He got burned a few times over the years to the point he’d only feel comfortable with certain people. Combined with his penchant for being a little too hands on, that limited the pool. 

Took new owners a little longer than we all would’ve liked, but it seems we finally got the right guys in charge. Of course there is always more work to do, but I haven’t fully trusted a regime like this since Polian and Marv. That’s too damn long for us to wait for a little competence. Even when I’m frustrated on game day, I just try to enjoy the ride remembering where we used to be. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dick Jauron 

not for me.
It was a good move, But he was hindered too.

as was one of my favorite  Coaches and persons Chan Gailey
Having The Pegula Family might make the difference. Seems McBeanes have a heck of staff in most all facets these days. 
No knock on Dick by any means C.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been an observer at my Company for quite a few years. We have had enough top level turnover in my time.
Changing a culture might be one of the most challenging tasks.
and all were tasked with it to varying degrees.

What MCBeanes seem to have accomplished in a short time is astounding. By all the notes we have read from players. And it feels to be true.
even some of Us/YouFolks hard core old schooled Bills fans have come around to being a bit energized and believing in this "proceess" thing

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Great example and thank you for sharing! I completely agree. Losing is an infectious disease and the Bills were at it so long they absolutely needed a complete cleansing. Top to bottom, they’d accepted it. Sure, they’d try to shake things up and clean house over the years when they knew they had no choice, but it was always the wrong guy.

The sad part for all of us having to live through it is with every change in head coach/GM it brought hope that they’d finally get it right, while consistently being let down and disappointed. I’ve been a Bills fan forever and I’d always hoped they’d luck into a guy like McD during the later Ralph years. A guy that could truly save the franchise and turn things around. Ralph wasn’t a bad guy, but he was complicit (or cheap as we like to call it ?). He got burned a few times over the years to the point he’d only feel comfortable with certain people. Combined with his penchant for being a little too hands on, that limited the pool. 

Took new owners a little longer than we all would’ve liked, but it seems we finally got the right guys in charge. Of course there is always more work to do, but I haven’t fully trusted a regime like this since Polian and Marv. That’s too damn long for us to wait for a little competence. Even when I’m frustrated on game day, I just try to enjoy the ride remembering where we used to be. 

yep

Bills have come a long way Baby

• Thank you (+1) 1