McDermott contract extension

Estro

Shady, thanks for the find.  That was great and Marv is always the best with these small clips.  VW, you extend him because you don’t wait for him to be a lame duck at the end of 2020 and becomes an enormous distraction like it has been for other teams like Dallas with Garrett.  You either want him after three years and they did, or you don’t.  This was a great decision and Beane even better when it happens.

The problem as has been said so many times is screwing with a good tandem.  We can enjoy hopefully these two and the people under the, for six years.  If it doesn’t work out, which I seriously doubt, ok.  We’re talking about having a secure administration and coaching for eight years minimum, and look how that worked for Pittsburgh since 1970.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Shady, thanks for the find.  That was great and Marv is always the best with these small clips.  VW, you extend him because you don’t wait for him to be a lame duck at the end of 2020 and becomes an enormous distraction like it has been for other teams like Dallas with Garrett.  You either want him after three years and they did, or you don’t.  This was a great decision and Beane even better when it happens.

The problem as has been said so many times is screwing with a good tandem.  We can enjoy hopefully these two and the people under the, for six years.  If it doesn’t work out, which I seriously doubt, ok.  We’re talking about having a secure administration and coaching for eight years minimum, and look how that worked for Pittsburgh since 1970.

Do you think McD was expecting to be extended with two years to go? I would've wanted to wait until training camp was done to make sure Josh was looking like he would made another leap. On the other hand, maybe they know something we don't. 

If Josh goes the way Trubisky did in year 3 then this will look premature IMO. I get why they did it though. McD built them a culture and that's so hard to find. 

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

Do you think McD was expecting to be extended with two years to go? I would've wanted to wait until training camp was done to make sure Josh was looking like he would made another leap. On the other hand, maybe they know something we don't. 

If Josh goes the way Trubisky did in year 3 then this will look premature IMO. I get why they did it though. McD built them a culture and that's so hard to find. 

Why is McD responsible for Josh? He's not a scout for offensive talent.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Why is McD responsible for Josh? He's not a scout for offensive talent.

Because he’s the one running the show. McD was hired first, extended first, and even though he’s not OC his prints are all over the Allen pick. And if Allen doesn’t work out he’ll have final say on whatever we do next. When you’re the boss the buck stops with you. 

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Because he’s the one running the show. McD was hired first, extended first, and even though he’s not OC his prints are all over the Allen pick. And if Allen doesn’t work out he’ll have final say on whatever we do next. When you’re the boss the buck stops with you. 

I disagree.  I think McD is absolutely in charge of defensive picks and FAs, but not offensive ones.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I disagree.  I think McD is absolutely in charge of defensive picks and FAs, but not offensive ones.

McDermott has the final say on pretty much anything from how it appears. Now I think he trusts Beane totally and they work hand in hand and I am sure it was Beane and Schoen who settled on Josh but had McDermott said no he wouldn't have been the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, VW82 said:

VW, his future is not all about Allen.  If Allen significantly regresses which I don’t expect, they will either in 2021 or 22 draft another QB.  McD can survive one loss.  I’m not saying it would be easy, but the Pegulas would most likely give him one more try.  They are bright and know he and Beane are the Bills future.  It was a smart move on the Pegulas amd don’t be surprised if you read of an extension to Beane before the end of 2020.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

VW, his future is not all about Allen.  If Allen significantly regresses which I don’t expect, they will either in 2021 or 22 draft another QB.  McD can survive one loss.  I’m not saying it would be easy, but the Pegulas would most likely give him one more try.  They are bright and know he and Beane are the Bills future.  It was a smart move on the Pegulas amd don’t be surprised if you read of an extension to Beane before the end of 2020.

Agree I think the roster is good enough that even if Josh regresses the Bills are about an 8-8 team like the Bears were last year (not dissimilar). I think the Pegulas would probably stick with the regime and let them go again at Quarterback if it comes to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree I think the roster is good enough that even if Josh regresses the Bills are about an 8-8 team like the Bears were last year (not dissimilar). I think the Pegulas would probably stick with the regime and let them go again at Quarterback if it comes to that. 

Yup.  As difficult as it is to find a franchise QB, you can’t overlook the change in culture (McD) and reshaping of the roster (Beane) and put all of the eggs in the Josh Allen basket.  I think the Pegulas understand that.

Hopefully it will all be a moot point.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott has the final say on pretty much anything from how it appears. Now I think he trusts Beane totally and they work hand in hand and I am sure it was Beane and Schoen who settled on Josh but had McDermott said no he wouldn't have been the pick. 

I can see that.  But I'd still put Josh on Beane more than anyone else.

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can see that.  But I'd still put Josh on Beane more than anyone else.

I would think that such an important pick would be agreed on by both the HC & GM. Especially those two.  BB & SM see themselves as the next long term success story in the NFL, ya can’t build towards that goal if  HC & GM are not constantly working with each other, and in agreement the majority of the time. 

I also think that Kim & Terry will allow an opportunity for a 2nd go round on a QB if Josh doesn’t pan out. Although I think Josh will get the job done. 

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Doc said:

I agree with Doc.  If Coach McD was in charge of offense picks he would have picked a QB first year for he would have wanted the QB to learn behind a veteran but was not comfortable with that so didn't.   He proved his was no offense expert with choices of OC and WR coaches among others.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I would think that such an important pick would be agreed on by both the HC & GM. Especially those two.  BB & SM see themselves as the next long term success story in the NFL, ya can’t build towards that goal if  HC & GM are not constantly working with each other, and in agreement the majority of the time. 

I also think that Kim & Terry will allow an opportunity for a 2nd go round on a QB if Josh doesn’t pan out. Although I think Josh will get the job done. 

Go Bills!!!

Definitely.  With McD I can see it being a "we need a QB and I trust your scouting so let's go with Josh" type of thing, not "it's my decision and I've decided that it's going to be Josh, period."

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If they screwed up the Allen pick, why should they get another shot to screw up again?  It’s the highest drafted qb in franchise history.  And if Allen isn’t a franchise guy, there was overwhelming evidence that he won’t be.  The Allen pick will either be genius or completely idiotic.  Nothing in between. 

im fine with McDermott because he at worst is a very good DC.  But if Allen isn’t the guy, we need a new GM (even though McDermott gets final say). 

• Haha (+1) 2

Biscuit, you’re kidding right.  Beane and McD have transformed this team into an emerging winner making the playoffs two of three years together, the by far most talented we’ve had in 22 years at the least, and they are reclaiming most likely the East this year.  You’re in the vast minority if you are advocating for Beane to be gone if Allen turns out average.  He only started two years at Wyoming and two years on a rebuilding Bills team.

They will be given a second bite at the Apple, but I don’t think that will happen.  Allen May never be Drew Brees, but he probably will be a top 13-14 QB, and maybe higher.  I’ll give you this, he has no excuses anymore not by me or anyone else.  He has the same offensive system, Coordinator, consistency in a QB coach, had all the off season coaching he should need in Palmer, and more weapons than I can remember in WR’s, RB’s, a stable O Line, and if he holds onto the ball the best TE since Metzelaars.  So, I’ll go along he has more than enough to be successful, and if he progresses this year let’s say to the 63%, and even farther in 2021, then he’ll get that 5th year option.

Anyway, Beane and McD will be safe.  Getting rid of either piece prematurely is exactly the reason we didn’t make the playoffs for 17 years.  We picked and retained bad Presidents (Brandon), GM’s, and Coaches.  We have all of that fixed now.  It is a great time to see what’s going to happen next for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If they screwed up the Allen pick, why should they get another shot to screw up again?  It’s the highest drafted qb in franchise history.  And if Allen isn’t a franchise guy, there was overwhelming evidence that he won’t be.  The Allen pick will either be genius or completely idiotic.  Nothing in between. 

im fine with McDermott because he at worst is a very good DC.  But if Allen isn’t the guy, we need a new GM (even though McDermott gets final say). 

They sure picked the "right" Josh.  You have to agree with that.