McDermott contract extension

Estro

I was happy the Pegulas did the right thing, and extended him now.  Just looking forward to Beane hopefully being extended as well.  To have the peace of mind knowing you’re GM and HC are all set through 2025 is awesome.

As far as the playoffs, I have high hopes for us this year.  For the first time, it feels like we have pretty complete team.  The Chiefs and Ravens look good though.  Both have retained and added to their respective teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chemical said:

I hope you’re right. I would have waited until after week 12 to see how they’ve played against SF, SEA, and KC not to mention the division games. I also want to see if the game management improves now that he has hired someone to help deal with those decisions. 

What’s the benefit of extending him now as opposed to next offseason? Maybe you save some money if he wins 12 games but I don’t imagine you risk losing him. 

What’s the benefit?

You’re locking up a good coach and the atmosphere throughout the organization. Players and coaches alike are thrilled this happened and I guarantee you there is a bounce in everyone’s step today at 1 Bills Dr.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Still blaming the refs for the Bills choke I see.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

What's the harm in extending him now?

Yup.  The men in black jackets coming onto the field was as crooked as anything I've ever seen.

In the playoff game the off field replacement Refs who had no part of the game interfered with the as called TD.  or at minimum a safety.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've read / scanned most of the comments ...

not sure if this was posted

https://sports.yahoo.com/national-media-reactions-sean-mcdermott-175708635.html

The #Bills gave coach Sean McDermott a 6-year new contract that runs through 2025, source said. He had two years left on his previous deal, so four more years added to that. More stability for one of the NFL’s rising teams.

Love it! Can’t wait until McDermott delivers a championship over the length of this contract to Buffalo! And I’m jumping through a table! #Bills #BillsMafia

Sean McDermott signs a contract extension with #Bills, keeping him through 2025 season. McDermott has 2 winning seasons in Buffalo. The Bills had just 2 winning seasons since 99 prior to his arrival. Buffalo had first 10-win season since 99

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Here's a question: was it better to be screwed over by the refs, or win that game and get destroyed by the Chefs the following weekend?

I would have rather gotten destroyed by the Chiefs. It would have given this team more experience (as mentioned by others), and any playoff win is a step in the right direction for a franchise. That loss to the Texans was more embarrassing than getting beaten by the Chiefs. The Chiefs were considered unstoppable by most fans at that point. The game in Houston was basically another “Billsy” loss to most NFL fans. I guarantee that no one who isn’t a Bills fan blames the refs for that loss. The average fan saw a team who blew a lead, made some questionable game-day coaching decisions, and left a lot of plays on the field. We can come

back stronger this season, but personally I remember that game being a tough loss. With that said, the extension of McDermott was a good move. Regardless of what direction this franchise goes, it’s clear that it would be very difficult to find an upgrade considering what he’s done with this team. 

Edited by SirAndrew

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think Bills fans are more worried than most fans when it comes to possibly being embarrassed on national TV. 

This.  How quickly folks forget the Bills were a better road than home team last year, and in their three prime time appearances (at Dallas, at Pittsburgh, and at the Pats***) they fared very well.  I think the Bills would have had a puncher’s chance against KC and refuse to believe they would have been blown out.

At some point fans have to shake themselves out of the miserable expectations that plagued us for the better part of two decades and realize it is a new era of Bills football.

11 minutes ago, eball said:

This.  How quickly folks forget the Bills were a better road than home team last year, and in their three prime time appearances (at Dallas, at Pittsburgh, and at the Pats***) they fared very well.  I think the Bills would have had a puncher’s chance against KC and refuse to believe they would have been blown out.

At some point fans have to shake themselves out of the miserable expectations that plagued us for the better part of two decades and realize it is a new era of Bills football.

Yeah but how are we supposed to trust this regime when they didn’t resign Pat Williams in 2004?

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, eball said:

They lost their sponsorship deal ;) 

Hard to Billieve they were 4-4 at home and 6-2 on the road.

Must be the train horn ;)

I wanted to post this the other day  for all the naysayers WRT overall record thus far.

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland, he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team.

Now, now   lets not start with Wild assed assumptions of me claiming who's the better coach.  

They are trying to build a strong and stable program.  I don’t fault them for that.  IMO McD’s greatest strength is his ability to adapt and move on from bad decisions.  He’s shown he’s willing to fire a guy like Castillo who was loyal to him but who underperformed.  He made the wise decision to go back to Tyrod after going with the horrible recommendation of his OC to give Peterman the nod.  His biggest negative is that he hasn’t really beat Belichick.  I’m fine with the contract extension.  If McD continues to improve it will be well worth it.  If the team falters it will be because Allen doesn’t develop and McD will likely get one more shot at a QB pairing before the blame shifts to him.

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Why wait a year? This isn't a situation where ownership is going to not be willing to eat a few years on the contract. The Pegula's aren't cheap, McD is going to around at worst 2 more seasons (If the bottom completely falls out and they go 4-12 back to back seasons) and likely at least 3 more seasons if things go bad. The Pegula's are likely willing to eat 3 years on his deal if they want to dump him. If you wait the year you risk having an unstable coaching and GM situation. Show faith in the coach and GM and send a message that they are here to stay.

Waiting a year while he's under contract for the next 2 doesn't risk anything. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

While I do see that risk.... it is more about whether Josh steps up than McDermott for me. A lot of those games you might put down to outcoached I would argue we have been out quarterbacked more than anything. 

And if it does turn out in 3 or 4 seasons that he keeps getting to the playoffs and losing in the first round then we will cross that bridge when we come to it. 

Also worth adding to this (apols for quoting my own post) people say the next Marvin Lewis like it is a bad thing. When Magical Marvin took over the Bengals they hadn't had a winning season in TWELVE years during which time they went 55-137. In the first year post Marv they went 2-14 and ended up with the number 1 pick. In between times they had 16 seasons of Marvin, they went 131-122-3 in the regular season and made the playoffs 7 times. Yea, he probably had teams talented enough to win some of those playoff games and he never got them over the hump. We all hope McDermott is better than that.... but Marvin Lewis did a brilliant job as the Head Coach of the Bengals, a shambolic franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I wanted to post this the other day  for all the naysayers WRT overall record thus far.

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland, he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team.

Now, now   lets not start with Wild assed assumptions of me claiming who's the better coach.  

Belichick rebuilt the Browns and had them trending in the right direction.  They went 11-5 in 1994 and WON a playoff game.  Then Modell announces the team is moving during the 1995 season.

Kind of a special set of circumstances there.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yeah, I think I care more about playoff wins than lockerroom hugs. You should too. Good coach. His defense choked in Houston. I don't doubt that the franchise is moving in the right direction but I would have waited another year.  There are no salary cap issues if he fails unlike extending Fitz too early but still I don't see the need to extend his contract now.

You make sports less fun

Good news, but I'd wait on Beane. He's got a lot of high draft picks (Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Ford) that still haven't played up to a level that would justify their draft position. Allen, in particular is still a long way away from where he needs to be to justify everything we gave up to acquire him.

I like the move, but I can't argue with those that say we should have waited a year. If we don't take a big step up in scoring offense, some may question this move. After all, waiting a year wouldn't have hurt anything. Then again, the positive signal sent by the 1st HC contract extension in a long time might just light a fire in everyone's step. It didn't work in Jauron's case, but I already can see that McDermott is a better HC.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, boater said:

There were a number of articles last week where players stated they came to Buffalo because of it's reputation as a strong program. That's on McD.

I think those articles may have caused Pegs to get off the pot and open up his wallet.

He's buying low here. The traditionally Billsy way is wait on extending McD another year till he's Cowher prices.