McDermott contract extension

Estro

9 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I hope you’re right. I would have waited until after week 12 to see how they’ve played against SF, SEA, and KC not to mention the division games. I also want to see if the game management improves now that he has hired someone to help deal with those decisions. 

What’s the benefit of extending him now as opposed to next offseason? Maybe you save some money if he wins 12 games but I don’t imagine you risk losing him. 

What's the harm in extending him now?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Still blaming the refs for the Bills choke I see.

Yup.  The men in black jackets coming onto the field was as crooked as anything I've ever seen.

44 minutes ago, batmanfreek said:

I am kind of the same. However I can see the meaning behind it.  Rewarding progress. Telling players and potential free agents that this isn’t a fire a coach every other year; stability. 

Also little things like his family knowing “okay we can settle down in Buffalo with school and such”. 

Good points.  I don't think it matters that much to free agents but it cant hurt. I'm not against the extension so much as I think it is premature.

Jon Gruden may not be impressed.

But I am thrilled!  We won that contest! I don’t care what he costs. It’s not MY money and it doesn’t hurt the cap. I’m very hopeful for the future of our Bills. 

Extend Beane next and we are golden, competitive year in and year out. 

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I actually and truly empathize with guys like you. I hope you find peace and comfort someday. 

Here's a question: was it better to be screwed over by the refs, or win that game and get destroyed by the Chefs the following weekend?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Here's a question: was it better to be screwed over by the refs, or win that game and get destroyed by the Chefs the following weekend?

I would have loved to have gotten punched in the faces by the Chiefs. Would make the team that much more motivated this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc said:

Eh, I don’t think that way. McD’s defense wouldn’t have been blown out by KC and Josh would have had one more game of playoff experience. Motor was coming off his most complete game as a pro also. You always want to win. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Doc said:

What's the harm in extending him now?

Yup.  The men in black jackets coming onto the field was as crooked as anything I've ever seen.

no harm. But the risk is that the Bills continue to lose to good teams. Even if we are 9-3 next year but get blown out by SF, KC, and SEA while being out coached, there’s a good chance we have the next Marvin Lewis on our hands. 

edit: 9-3 through 12 games 

Edited by Chemical

Had to work a super long day today but had a giant smile on my face after hearing about Coach McD. Just love his enthusiasm. I would love for him to be our new Marv and end up being that living legend coach than can lead us through 10-15 years of success. I know the odds are always against that but the optimist in me says he has the tools to at least get us to 2 Super Bowls. His main barrier is he needs to work on his game management skills. His decisions can win or lose us a championship, now that we have this level of depth of talent. So he needs to step up and show that on game day consistently. It will get real interesting if you inject a kid kicker that consistently hits 58 yarders also. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

This is a valid point.  There was absolutely no way we were stopping Mahommes and co. last season... I'd rather save the embarassment and let Texans take it=P 

To be honest, I'm pretty afraid of Mahommes and co THIS season, but I'm just glad my team is in the running finally:)

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

This is a valid point.  There was absolutely no way we were stopping Mahommes and co. last season... I'd rather save the embarassment and let Texans take it=P 

To be honest, I'm pretty afraid of Mahommes and co THIS season, but I'm just glad my team is in the running finally:)

how do you define “ in the running”?

vegas odds are 1 in 32 for Bills to win the super bowl this season. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I lobbied for McDermott, the year we hired Rex. 

I did not want Rex by my guy in that hiring cycle was Hue Jackson (admittedly hindsight does not look good there) because I just wanted to keep Schwartz and hire a glorified offensive coordinator. My second preference was Kyle Shanahan which would have been a little better but Hue was my guy.  

By the London game of Rex's first year I wanted him gone and the two guys I thought were the best coordinators in the league were McDaniels (who I didn't want because Belichick always beats his guys) and McDermott. We were lucky the Panthers got all the way to the Superbowl in 2015. It pretty much took McDermott off a lot of teams' lists.

It is the first time the Bills have ever hirer the guy I wanted and the first time in fairness the guy I wanted has turned out well... ? (I wanted Mike Shanahan when we hired Chan, I wanted Lovie Smith when we hired Doug and I wanted Hue when we hired Rex). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd prefer not to hear the stat the Bills haven't won a playoff game in 25 years.  I don't think we would've been destroyed as our defense would've been better than Houston who's secondary was a joke.  I think we lose by 10 to 20 points.  

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

no harm. But the risk is that the Bills continue to lose to good teams. Even if we are 9-3 next year but get blown out by SF, KC, and SEA while being out coached, there’s a good chance we have the next Marvin Lewis on our hands. 

While I do see that risk.... it is more about whether Josh steps up than McDermott for me. A lot of those games you might put down to outcoached I would argue we have been out quarterbacked more than anything. 

And if it does turn out in 3 or 4 seasons that he keeps getting to the playoffs and losing in the first round then we will cross that bridge when we come to it. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd prefer not to hear the stat the Bills haven't won a playoff game in 25 years.  I don't think we would've been destroyed as our defense would've been better than Houston who's secondary was a joke.  I think we lose by 10 to 20 points.  

Our defense is a lot better but equally we probably wouldn't have got out to the big early lead Houston did. 

I'd have rather been in that game than not though. Without question.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Last year it was 1 in 1000 so that's a slight improvement.  If Allen takes a significant step forward then we have an outside shot with KC and Baltimore still the heavy favorites.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Our defense is a lot better but equally we probably wouldn't have got out to the big early lead Houston did. 

I'd have rather been in that game than not though. Without question.

I think Bills fans are more worried than most fans when it comes to possibly being embarrassed on national TV.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Just by seeing the national conversation shift to giving our team some respect. Most of the talk around the league now refers to the bills as a "team on the rise", "heading in the right direction" and "doing the right things."  Those "non-homer" analysis make me feel like we are finally knocking on the door.

In fact, to crush that narrative a little further, only 6 teams in the NFL have better then 20/1 odds and those include the two previous conference champions one of which is the defending champion, the team with the MVP QB and best record in the east last season,  Tom Brady's team, Drew Bree's team and inexplicably the Dallas Cowboys. 

Anyways I got the bills odds at 28/1 right now for vegas and that's better then half the league (more like top 11) so I'll take those odds. For some reason vegas has some strange teams up there towards the top like the Dallas Cowboys... gtfoh=P 

Edited by BillsFan692

5 hours ago, Chemical said:

I don't see Marvin Lewis in McDermott.  The Bengals were always regarded as an undisciplined, out of control team who were always willing to take a flyer on players with known major character issues.  This does not seem to be the team that McDermott/Beane is building (Antonio Brown not withstanding).

Also a lot of the blame for the Bengals not making progress has to go to the front office and ownership who were never willing to spend the money they needed to take the next step.  Even then everything may have been different if not for the crucial injury to Carson Palmer.

Edited by Billy Claude
grammar