McDermott contract extension

Estro

Ice cold take. :lol:

McDfired.jpg

7 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I guess I'm a pessimist, but I'm not happy with this decision. 

I think he's a fairly average coach. The 2017 Bills were a very mediocre team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs only through the grace of god. The 2019 Bills were a bit better, but finished 10-6 with an insanely easy schedule. 

The team is trending in the right direction, but if we don't take that next step I think we'll regret this decision. 

Do you wake up from a coma at the end of every football season, look at the standings, and form your opinions off that?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ice cold take. :lol:

McDfired.jpg

Do you wake up from a coma at the end of every football season, look at the standings, and form your opinions of that?

LOL!  That was written after 2 games (losses admittedly) into McD's 2nd season, after taking the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.  I hope that writer bet the house on that one.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so far, but I wanted to point out that there was a clause in McDermott's new contract stating that any players joining the Bills roster going forward must have wrestled in either high school or college and must own at least three pieces of camouflage clothing. 

In all seriousness, I DID read that he's going to be paid per clap, so the contract could get pretty lucrative pretty quickly. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was the moment. More so than Andy Dalton's pass or drafting Josh Allen or even the Pegulas buying the team. 

The moment this franchise hired Sean McDermott was the moment everything changed. I lobbied for us to fire Rex a year earlier to hire McDermott. I loved the hire when it came and I love the extension. He is the reason we are relevant again. 

I lobbied for McDermott, the year we hired Rex. 

• Like (+1) 1

A side thought: I'd bet this extension only helps with negotiating all the high-profile player extensions we have coming up. White, Dawkins, and especially Milano can see the coach who is going to be here through their next contract, and it's someone they actually want to play for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Could have waited a year, but it was inevitable.  McDermott is a good coach that is deserving of seeing his vision through.

Why wait a year? This isn't a situation where ownership is going to not be willing to eat a few years on the contract. The Pegula's aren't cheap, McD is going to around at worst 2 more seasons (If the bottom completely falls out and they go 4-12 back to back seasons) and likely at least 3 more seasons if things go bad. The Pegula's are likely willing to eat 3 years on his deal if they want to dump him. If you wait the year you risk having an unstable coaching and GM situation. Show faith in the coach and GM and send a message that they are here to stay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Too soon. Last year's schedule was a joke. He had no leverage to go anywhere else.  No reason to extend him now until you see what he does with this team.

At least 6 years is only half of the career INT total for Nathan Peterman but 5 more than the number of successful challenges. 

What a shocking take.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

It seems to me the people who feel this was premature are primarily stats people.

THIS is his record for his first three year.

He's .500 career and 0-2 in the playoffs.

When you mostly rely on stats, you lose full sight of everything else that has been going on...things that don't show up on paper, but long-time Bills fans know in their hearts. This team can suddenly win games they're supposed to win. And they're winning games you'd expect them to lose. The Dallas Thanksgiving Day was the clincher for me. A prime-time road game with everyone in the country watching? That's a game the Bills have puked up for years. But McDermott had them ready to play.

Hell, one of the best Bills moments in years shows you the kind of team this guy is putting together. How do you watch these videos without understanding that McDermott leads them to be this kind of team. How do you watch them, think about the past season, and think, "Well, I'm not fully sold on McDermott yet!"

Stare at numbers all you want. But there's more to this than numbers, and the 99% of Bills fans cheering this extension can see it.

Yeah, I think I care more about playoff wins than lockerroom hugs. You should too. Good coach. His defense choked in Houston. I don't doubt that the franchise is moving in the right direction but I would have waited another year.  There are no salary cap issues if he fails unlike extending Fitz too early but still I don't see the need to extend his contract now.

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Yeah, I think I care more about playoff wins than lockerroom hugs. You should too. Good coach. His defense choked in Houston. I don't doubt that the franchise is moving in the right direction but I would have waited another year.  There are no salary cap issues if he fails unlike extending Fitz too early but still I don't see the need to extend his contract now.

They would have won if not for the refs.  Big deal anyway.  Houston got smoked the next week and the Bills were never making, much less winning, the SB last year.

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I am kind of the same. However I can see the meaning behind it.  Rewarding progress. Telling players and potential free agents that this isn’t a fire a coach every other year; stability. 

Also little things like his family knowing “okay we can settle down in Buffalo with school and such”. 

For those saying it was too soon, it was at-best a few months too soon.  They weren't going to wait until the 2020 season was over to extend him. 

And some people keep talking about how easy last season was and how hard this year will be.  Well, it will be hard for every team in the AFCE.  The former division winner, the Cheaters, have been gutted by FA and COVID opt-outs.  The Jets are their usual mess.  Does anyone think the Dols will win the division?  Because the division winner will make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

For those saying it was too soon, it was at-best a few months too soon.  They weren't going to wait until the 2020 season was over to extend him. 

And some people keep talking about how easy last season was and how hard this year will be.  Well, it will be hard for every team in the AFCE.  The former division winner, the Cheaters, have been gutted by FA and COVID opt-outs.  The Jets are their usual mess.  Does anyone think the Dols will win the division?  Because the division winner will make the playoffs.

I hope you’re right. I would have waited until after week 12 to see how they’ve played against SF, SEA, and KC not to mention the division games. I also want to see if the game management improves now that he has hired someone to help deal with those decisions. 

What’s the benefit of extending him now as opposed to next offseason? Maybe you save some money if he wins 12 games but I don’t imagine you risk losing him. 

I think the point in signing him now is to show that the organization believes in him and the job he has done so far, and let him work in a more stable and comfortable environment during a very difficult year.  One less thing for him to worry about. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1